The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248 ... 286  Next
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Mon June 03, 2019 6:03 pm 
Rank This Poster

None of the pictures I take of hazy IPAs seem to convey the haziness because the photos are almost always backlit and the colors tend to blow out the haze.

PostPosted: Mon June 03, 2019 6:04 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Chris_H_2 wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
This one is damn delicious.

i love surly, but the picture of that beer proves what a lot of people complain about re: the hazy/ne style that every brewery is trying to market its beers as. i'm sure that that beer is double dry hopped. but it does not look representative of the typical haze bomb that makes a beer a traditional new england style ipa. that just looks like a iipa from a can that has "hazy" slapped on it for optics as a marketing tool.

Surly hadn’t made a new beer that I’ve loved in a couple years. This beer is delicious. It’s pretty damn hazy and juicy too. Shrug.

i'm not saying that it's not good. i have no doubt that it is. it's just not . . . hazy like the can says it's supposed to be.

Have you had this one? It’s pretty hazy. I think the light in my basement might be obscuring that.

PostPosted: Mon June 03, 2019 6:07 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

PHATJ wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

i love surly, but the picture of that beer proves what a lot of people complain about re: the hazy/ne style that every brewery is trying to market its beers as. i'm sure that that beer is double dry hopped. but it does not look representative of the typical haze bomb that makes a beer a traditional new england style ipa. that just looks like a iipa from a can that has "hazy" slapped on it for optics as a marketing tool.

Surly hadn’t made a new beer that I’ve loved in a couple years. This beer is delicious. It’s pretty damn hazy and juicy too. Shrug.

i'm not saying that it's not good. i have no doubt that it is. it's just not . . . hazy like the can says it's supposed to be.

Have you had this one? It’s pretty hazy. I think the light in my basement might be obscuring that.

i haven't. so i'm unfairly basing it on the picture.

i'm surprised more brewers don't add some lactose to that style. it definitely gives it the desired "feel."

PostPosted: Mon June 03, 2019 6:08 pm 

Chris_H_2 wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

i'm surprised more brewers don't add some lactose to that style. it definitely gives it the desired "feel."

I’ve got a couple lactose IPAs from local TC breweries in my fridge right now. :li:

PostPosted: Mon June 03, 2019 6:37 pm 
Future Drummer

PHATJ wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

I’ve got a couple lactose IPAs from local TC breweries in my fridge right now. :li:

Lactose can definitely add to the body but it has other flavors that may be detrimental IMO, plus it cuts a portion of the possible purchasers and should be prominently displayed on the label.
The picture looks hazier than, say, a strict west coast DIPA but I agree not in-line with many of the original NE style offerings. I wouldn't doubt it is double dry hopped, whatever that means to you, but if it is not a DDH version of an existing beer the designation is basically just marketing; I really don't like the use of either (hazy/DDH).

PostPosted: Mon June 03, 2019 8:38 pm 
Future Drummer

PHATJ wrote:

Hopefully I'll get to try it at this years All Pints North. :li:
Gonna make it this year Josh?

PostPosted: Mon June 03, 2019 8:51 pm 

doone wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

Hopefully I'll get to try it at this years All Pints North. :li:
Gonna make it this year Josh?

I wish but Probably not. Way too many responsibilities.

PostPosted: Tue June 04, 2019 1:24 am 
Rank This Poster

So how the F do you double dry hop?

Is it strained through twice or do they rack it and hop it twice? That would be interesting to see.

PostPosted: Tue June 04, 2019 2:12 am 
Future Drummer

Electromatic wrote:

Is it strained through twice or do they rack it and hop it twice? That would be interesting to see.

There is no real consensus. I'd say most brewers agree that a 'double dry hop' is just that, double the amount of hops normally called for in the recipe, thus a DDH variant of an already produced beer could: a) be notable and b) give you a baseline; that said it could also produce an extremely imbalanced beer and past a saturation point you're just flushing money down the drain... or not (see below).
Another option comes down to timing in secondary, two additions. And there is always the possibility of incorporating a hopback.
I feel double-dry hopping can often be wasteful and has lead to a shift away from people actually knowing what they're drinking or at least of how it is made, though that is just not DDH but the NE IPA moniker; between adding lactose (to mimic not dutifully), not filtering to a fault, flour additions, etc. it just creates some really god awful beer.

PostPosted: Tue June 04, 2019 1:42 pm 
Rank This Poster

oasisfan35 wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

There is no real consensus. I'd say most brewers agree that a 'double dry hop' is just that, double the amount of hops normally called for in the recipe, thus a DDH variant of an already produced beer could: a) be notable and b) give you a baseline; that said it could also produce an extremely imbalanced beer and past a saturation point you're just flushing money down the drain... or not (see below).
Another option comes down to timing in secondary, two additions. And there is always the possibility of incorporating a hopback.
I feel double-dry hopping can often be wasteful and has lead to a shift away from people actually knowing what they're drinking or at least of how it is made, though that is just not DDH but the NE IPA moniker; between adding lactose (to mimic not dutifully), not filtering to a fault, flour additions, etc. it just creates some really god awful beer.

Given the expense and relative difficulty of obtaining all these special hop varietals these days It does seem somewhat crazy to over do it for the sake of essentially marketing.

The market is so much faster and has so many more products now than it used to. DDH could be interesting if used sparingly (like everything else I guess) Rather than an already well hopped IPA, I'm thinking of porter's and stouts that could be made more interesting with an addition of two different hops at the end.

I'm sure I'll try some at some point. Not really slagging the technique, I just had never seen that before. I guess depending on how you do it, you could dry hop it once when putting it into the secondary, and then again after a week or two.

Seems like a good way to make a beer really expensive to produce but not perhaps better. Maybe it ages well.

PostPosted: Tue June 04, 2019 2:13 pm 
Future Drummer

Electromatic wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

Given the expense and relative difficulty of obtaining all these special hop varietals these days It does seem somewhat crazy to over do it for the sake of essentially marketing.

The market is so much faster and has so many more products now than it used to. DDH could be interesting if used sparingly (like everything else I guess) Rather than an already well hopped IPA, I'm thinking of porter's and stouts that could be made more interesting with an addition of two different hops at the end.

I'm sure I'll try some at some point. Not really slagging the technique, I just had never seen that before. I guess depending on how you do it, you could dry hop it once when putting it into the secondary, and then again after a week or two.

Seems like a good way to make a beer really expensive to produce but not perhaps better. Maybe it ages well.

It really doesn't, it tends to actually produce a super green product (as far as taste cohesion not color) but some of that is also rushing packaging after a super late addition, but from there the hops tend to fall off quickly. Not always obviously with all the varietals but I've found more often than not.

The market is pretty saturated with overall product but the NEIPA hype train has probably been the easiest to jump on marketing wise partially because of this dubious practice, the lack of a true BA style definition (until recently) and the accepted margin of error in brewing such a beer. I've certainly had some good examples, all variants of existing offerings, but when even Trillium started DDH every single IPA/DIPA it was noticeably market-centric and throwing their weight around a bit money-wise. It indeed makes it extremely expensive to produce but the hop market is better than it was overall though even that is changing very quickly with US hop farms popping up everywhere producing strains of hops that are further and further from the original.

It's a great time to be a craft beer drinker but like anything your mileage will vary. A friend brought a growler to the brewery to share last night from a NY state establishment that I've been meaning to get to but haven't had the chance. I've only had a few of their offerings but they have all been quite good and they've gotten quite a bit of recognition in a short period of time. d,t you may want to keep your eyes open for Suarez as most of their kegs are sent to the metro NY area. Anyway, the pale ale was brewed with only spelt for the malt and what tasted like a primarily Lemongrass and Huell Melon hop bill. Nicely filtered and light with a ton of flavor and a bit of pepper-spice in the finish.

PostPosted: Tue June 04, 2019 4:15 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Speaking of Hazy/Juicy/NE IPA's, this one from Aslin, Double Orange Starfish is delicious.

PostPosted: Tue June 04, 2019 4:18 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

The new Hazy & Mellow Pale Ale (little bro of their NEIPA) by Sam Adams is pretty good. I'm quite hit or miss with them, but the Hazy and Mellow and the Sam '76 beers have been hits for me.

PostPosted: Tue June 04, 2019 5:28 pm 
A Return To Form

Not sure how beer-snobby this thread might be, but I've recently discovered some of the beers brewed for Aldi. Two in particular have become favorites on a hot day by the poolside.

I've heard some of the others are pretty good, but haven't tried any but the Bacher, which was ok.

PostPosted: Tue June 04, 2019 8:21 pm 
Rank This Poster

oasisfan35 wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

It really doesn't, it tends to actually produce a super green product (as far as taste cohesion not color) but some of that is also rushing packaging after a super late addition, but from there the hops tend to fall off quickly. Not always obviously with all the varietals but I've found more often than not.

The market is pretty saturated with overall product but the NEIPA hype train has probably been the easiest to jump on marketing wise partially because of this dubious practice, the lack of a true BA style definition (until recently) and the accepted margin of error in brewing such a beer. I've certainly had some good examples, all variants of existing offerings, but when even Trillium started DDH every single IPA/DIPA it was noticeably market-centric and throwing their weight around a bit money-wise. It indeed makes it extremely expensive to produce but the hop market is better than it was overall though even that is changing very quickly with US hop farms popping up everywhere producing strains of hops that are further and further from the original.

It's a great time to be a craft beer drinker but like anything your mileage will vary. A friend brought a growler to the brewery to share last night from a NY state establishment that I've been meaning to get to but haven't had the chance. I've only had a few of their offerings but they have all been quite good and they've gotten quite a bit of recognition in a short period of time. d,t you may want to keep your eyes open for Suarez as most of their kegs are sent to the metro NY area. Anyway, the pale ale was brewed with only spelt for the malt and what tasted like a primarily Lemongrass and Huell Melon hop bill. Nicely filtered and light with a ton of flavor and a bit of pepper-spice in the finish.

sounds delicious

PostPosted: Fri June 21, 2019 9:40 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Some beers I've tried over the last two weeks:

Finback Ultramarine IPA
Sloop DDH Pixie Dust NEIPA
Public House Elusive IPA
Boulevard Flora Obscura Dry Hop Porter
Boulevard Space Camper Cosmic IPA
Martin City Hophouse Saison
Martin City Hard Way IPA
Odell IPA
Wichita Brewing Johnny B's Beer Band IPA
Walnut River Warbeard Red Ale
Free State Copperhead Pale Ale
Free State Stormchaser IPA
Free State Yakimaniac IPA
Maple Island Burlesque Kolsh
Maple Island American IPA
Lift Bridge Matchstick IPA

PostPosted: Fri June 21, 2019 9:46 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Fri June 21, 2019 10:39 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Gonna try some digsishhead double IPA tonight.. looking forward to it

PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2019 2:45 pm 
The Master

tree_ wrote:

And???

PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2019 2:50 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tree_ wrote:

And???
Might be the best beer I've ever had.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 242, 243, 244, 245, 246, 247, 248 ... 286  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining