The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234 ... 286  Next
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2018 5:46 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Yeah, I think for me, right now with where I'm at on my beer journey is that I want my beer to taste a certain way. If that makes sense. Your food analogy is apt and I totally get that. I guess I'm just never in the mood for anything other than steak (if you know what I mean). That's not totally true, obviously, but you get the gist, I'm sure. I want beer to be refreshing and complex and citrusy and bitter. That IS beer to me right now.

But it took me a long time to get there. I used to hate IPAs. I'm sure I'll find that one sour that just clicks and changes my mind one day. The same happened with Bell's Two Hearted Ale for me (sorry guys, I'm bringing it up again). I tasted that and fucking fireworks went off. It became what I wanted all beer to taste like. And I get bummed sometimes when I order a new IPA I've never had and it's too light or too crisp or not enough like Bell's. Usually, I find something to like in most of the beers I try.

So far, the sours I've tasted just aren't refreshing. I don't want to take another sip. But it's a flavor profile thing and the more I try, the more I'll get into them. I guess to draw comparisons to what you said about drinking sparkling wine being nothing like drinking bourbon... great analogy... but, again, for me the difference is that I know those are different things. I want them to be different and I expect them to be different and I crave them at different times for their differences. When I want a beer, I want it to be the beer I like. Which, I know is closed minded because there are so many different kinds. A better analogy might be looking at just wines. Pinots are different than Malbecs or whatever. Sometimes I want a Bordeaux and sometimes I want a Montepulciano. That I totally get.

Hopefully, one day I'll be able to cast a wider net with beer. I'd like that. And don't get me wrong, I'll drink whatever. But my level of pure enjoyment is capped by the kinds of beers that I truly love. IPAs, some Rye beers, some Ambers, some stouts. But mostly IPAs right now. But I'm always behind the curve. I got into IPAs when everyone else was already starting to move on. To sours apparently.

PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2018 6:24 pm 
Rank This Poster

durdencommatyler wrote:
Yeah, I think for me, right now with where I'm at on my beer journey is that I want my beer to taste a certain way. If that makes sense. Your food analogy is apt and I totally get that. I guess I'm just never in the mood for anything other than steak (if you know what I mean). That's not totally true, obviously, but you get the gist, I'm sure. I want beer to be refreshing and complex and citrusy and bitter. That IS beer to me right now.

But it took me a long time to get there. I used to hate IPAs. I'm sure I'll find that one sour that just clicks and changes my mind one day. The same happened with Bell's Two Hearted Ale for me (sorry guys, I'm bringing it up again). I tasted that and fucking fireworks went off. It became what I wanted all beer to taste like. And I get bummed sometimes when I order a new IPA I've never had and it's too light or too crisp or not enough like Bell's. Usually, I find something to like in most of the beers I try.

So far, the sours I've tasted just aren't refreshing. I don't want to take another sip. But it's a flavor profile thing and the more I try, the more I'll get into them. I guess to draw comparisons to what you said about drinking sparkling wine being nothing like drinking bourbon... great analogy... but, again, for me the difference is that I know those are different things. I want them to be different and I expect them to be different and I crave them at different times for their differences. When I want a beer, I want it to be the beer I like. Which, I know is closed minded because there are so many different kinds. A better analogy might be looking at just wines. Pinots are different than Malbecs or whatever. Sometimes I want a Bordeaux and sometimes I want a Montepulciano. That I totally get.

Hopefully, one day I'll be able to cast a wider net with beer. I'd like that. And don't get me wrong, I'll drink whatever. But my level of pure enjoyment is capped by the kinds of beers that I truly love. IPAs, some Rye beers, some Ambers, some stouts. But mostly IPAs right now. But I'm always behind the curve. I got into IPAs when everyone else was already starting to move on. To sours apparently.

Don't apologize for liking a beer man. There's absolutely nothing to apologize for. You are wherever you want to be. Two Hearted is a damn fine beer.

The beer community is in a specials of the second cycle. It's ok to drink a beer more than once. I've discovered I really like Mosiac hops, so I drink a lot of similar beers because I really like that hop. 25 years ago we basically had, Bud, Bud Light, Killians Red, Guinness, Miller, Coors, Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada and one or two randoms. People have never had this much variety. Not all of it is actually good.

PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2018 6:33 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Electromatic wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Don't apologize for liking a beer man. There's absolutely nothing to apologize for. You are wherever you want to be. Two Hearted is a damn fine beer.

The beer community is in a specials of the second cycle. It's ok to drink a beer more than once. I've discovered I really like Mosiac hops, so I drink a lot of similar beers because I really like that hop. 25 years ago we basically had, Bud, Bud Light, Killians Red, Guinness, Miller, Coors, Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada and one or two randoms. People have never had this much variety. Not all of it is actually good.

I'm pretty ignorant to the beer making process. I'm starting to learn more but I really don't know shit. When you say Mosiac hops... is that a brand/label or a kind of hops? Or both? If it's just strand of hops, how do you know which beers use that particular kind?

PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2018 8:15 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

durdencommatyler wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I'm pretty ignorant to the beer making process. I'm starting to learn more but I really don't know shit. When you say Mosiac hops... is that a brand/label or a kind of hops? Or both? If it's just strand of hops, how do you know which beers use that particular kind?

boiled down (pun intended), it's a type of hops. each type tastes different. i love, love, love galaxy hops, but they're in high demand and hard to come by. a lot of people like citra hops because they impart a little more sweet/citrus taste. and most beers will advertise what hops are used.

also, some beers tend to cost more than others because of (i) the type of hops used, and (ii) how much hops are in (double dry hopped v. single hopped ipa)

PostPosted: Fri December 21, 2018 5:33 am 
The Master

PHATJ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
i've had two of the best milkshake ipa's of my life in the past 2 weeks. i never thought i'd enjoy that style, but holy crap, when done right, they're amazing.

Can't say I've ever had one.

Milkshake IPAs have been all the rage in the Twin Cities over this year. Many local breweries are coming out with new versions on a regular basis. Personally, I love the style. There have been a few that I’ve had that are too sweet, but for the most part it’s a fantastic style. And I was one of those that was initially repulsed by the idea of a lactose IPA, but damn if they aren’t delicious.

I'll try about any IPA.

PostPosted: Fri December 21, 2018 4:02 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Chris_H_2 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

boiled down (pun intended), it's a type of hops. each type tastes different. i love, love, love galaxy hops, but they're in high demand and hard to come by. a lot of people like citra hops because they impart a little more sweet/citrus taste. and most beers will advertise what hops are used.

also, some beers tend to cost more than others because of (i) the type of hops used, and (ii) how much hops are in (double dry hopped v. single hopped ipa)

Interesting. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri December 21, 2018 4:10 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

It rained last night so we decided not to walk around and look at window displays. We went to a movie instead. At Alamo, of course. I was ordered an IPA that I'd never tried before but they were out of it. Rather than jump to a familiar IPA, I decided to try something new. I was going to do a sour just to be a good sport but they actually weren't offering any last night. The one they had was also out.

I did a Rockaway Black Gold Nitro Stout and KCBC's Pinball Pandamonium Baltic Porter.

Both excellent. I just wanted you guys to know I tried something different. Or rather, the universe made me try something different. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri December 21, 2018 7:07 pm 
Rank This Poster

Currently drinking the best brute IPA I have ever had.

Dick is so hard right now.

PostPosted: Fri December 21, 2018 7:12 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I had a Brut IPA at Greenpoint Brewery this past Monday night and it was excellent. Which one did you have?

PostPosted: Fri December 21, 2018 7:23 pm 
Rank This Poster

It's part of a brut series from AZ Wilderness.

Vic Secret and Citra hops. Typical brut dryness and super crisp and refreshing finish.

PostPosted: Fri December 21, 2018 7:24 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

run2death wrote:
It's part of a brut series from AZ Wilderness.

Vic Secret and Citra hops. Typical brut dryness and super crisp and refreshing finish.

:nice:

PostPosted: Sat December 22, 2018 3:04 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Merry Christmas to me!

PostPosted: Sat December 22, 2018 3:21 pm 
Future Drummer

That's the kind of present I like!

PostPosted: Sat December 22, 2018 11:54 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I picked up a 4pack of this while in Ohio. It tastes like Santa kicking you in the face.

PostPosted: Sun December 23, 2018 1:35 pm 
Rank This Poster

This was weird, but tasty. Wyabbo from Desert Monks Brewing. A creamy, guava-infused wheat beer that finishes sour.

PostPosted: Sun December 23, 2018 8:27 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon December 24, 2018 5:41 am 
mXn

Sierra Nevada Coffee Stout = :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon December 24, 2018 6:09 am 

Yum. More.

PostPosted: Mon December 24, 2018 2:38 pm 
mXn

PHATJ wrote:
Yum. More.

Heart healthy?

PostPosted: Mon December 24, 2018 3:15 pm 
Rank This Poster

PHATJ wrote:
Merry Christmas to me!

How was that Strawberry and Guava milkshake IPA?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234 ... 286  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining