The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188 ... 286  Next
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Fri June 30, 2017 12:12 pm 
Future Drummer

PHATJ wrote:
doone wrote:
wtfisaledbetter? wrote:
doone wrote:
wtfisaledbetter? wrote:
doone wrote:

Been awhile, very citrusy.

Love this stuff, awesome brewery. Brewery isnt located far from where I live... You a fellow Canuck?

I am indeed. :D

Wicked, where abouts are ya? I'm in Kitchener.

Thunder Bay (its not that bad).

Thunder Bay? You're my neighbor!

Hi neighbour! Where are you? I suspected we'd be close because you drink a lot of the beers we tried at All Pints North last year. Have you been to that beer fest? Last year was our first time; our local brewery arranged 2 buses to take folks down and back; so much fun and a bit overwhelming. Unfortunately, we can't make it this year. :(

Funny, I'm closer to you than I am to any of my fellow Canucks on this board. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri June 30, 2017 4:34 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

doone wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
doone wrote:
wtfisaledbetter? wrote:
doone wrote:
wtfisaledbetter? wrote:
doone wrote:

Been awhile, very citrusy.

Love this stuff, awesome brewery. Brewery isnt located far from where I live... You a fellow Canuck?

I am indeed. :D

Wicked, where abouts are ya? I'm in Kitchener.

Thunder Bay (its not that bad).

Thunder Bay? You're my neighbor!

Hi neighbour! Where are you? I suspected we'd be close because you drink a lot of the beers we tried at All Pints North last year. Have you been to that beer fest? Last year was our first time; our local brewery arranged 2 buses to take folks down and back; so much fun and a bit overwhelming. Unfortunately, we can't make it this year. :(

Funny, I'm closer to you than I am to any of my fellow Canucks on this board. :lol:

That is pretty funny! :lol: I have not been to All Pints North, though I'd love to go sometime. I live in the suburbs about 15 minutes north of both downtown St. Paul and Minneapolis. I do get up to the North Shore fairly often though, and I've always wanted to visit Thunder Bay but never have. I bet it's cold as fuck in the winter. I'd love to live in Duluth, but I never will because of the winter weather that lasts 8 months a year. I bet TB is similar.

PostPosted: Fri June 30, 2017 5:17 pm 
Future Drummer

Yup, Thunder Bay weather is just as bad as Duluth's, possibly a bit worse. I didn't realize the Twin Cities got off easy. I've been to Minneapolis once to see a Canadian band of all things, saw the Mall and went to Ikea. :D

PostPosted: Fri June 30, 2017 5:36 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

doone wrote:
Yup, Thunder Bay weather is just as bad as Duluth's, possibly a bit worse. I didn't realize the Twin Cities got off easy. I've been to Minneapolis once to see a Canadian band of all things, saw the Mall and went to Ikea. :D

:lol: I've never been to ikea, seems like a real shit storm. The Twin Cities definitely doesn't get off easily, but the wind off of Superior is a completely different animal and it makes winter last forever in Duluth.

PostPosted: Sun July 02, 2017 1:43 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Has an aftertaste just like an orange creamsicle. I'm liking it less the more I have.

PostPosted: Tue July 04, 2017 12:10 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/10-best-independent-beers-for-the-fourth-of-july-2017-06-30

PostPosted: Tue July 04, 2017 11:04 pm 
Rank This Poster

PostPosted: Sat July 08, 2017 5:31 am 
Rank This Poster

Three of these tonight at AZ Wilderness. Arrastra Belgian Golden Strong. Almost 10%. Pear, hoppy, dry finish. Tasty AF.

Last edited by run2death on Fri May 04, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat July 08, 2017 7:03 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

run2death wrote:
Went to Four Peaks for the first time since AB bought them out. Brews were OK, but their food was gross.

Spanakopita was disgusting and the burger tasted like cardboard.

Kinda depressed me, must have spent close to $200 a month there in the early 2000s.

My fiance manages the restaurant at another AB owned High End brewery. She was there for about a year before the buyout and so far nothing about the way the restaurant operates has changed aside from a new local chef entering the picture, but I suspect the timing of that move was more coincidence than anything else.

Do you think the restaurant at Four Peaks has gone through changes since the buyout?

PostPosted: Sat July 08, 2017 9:00 pm 
Rank This Poster

washing machine wrote:
run2death wrote:
Went to Four Peaks for the first time since AB bought them out. Brews were OK, but their food was gross.

Spanakopita was disgusting and the burger tasted like cardboard.

Kinda depressed me, must have spent close to $200 a month there in the early 2000s.

My fiance manages the restaurant at another AB owned High End brewery. She was there for about a year before the buyout and so far nothing about the way the restaurant operates has changed aside from a new local chef entering the picture, but I suspect the timing of that move was more coincidence than anything else.

Do you think the restaurant at Four Peaks has gone through changes since the buyout?

To be perfectly honest, I hadn’t been there for at least 3 years. And many of the changes in the kitchen could have happened before the change-over.

That being said, I do know the brewery part has seen significant changes. The PHX craft brew “scene” is pretty incestuous and most of the big players here were employed at Four Peaks at some point. I know the original brewers at AZ Wilderness and SanTan and a dude who works at DRAFT Magazine and they all say the AB buyout resulted in big changes on the brew side.

PostPosted: Sat July 08, 2017 10:23 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

My favourite American beer:

PostPosted: Sat July 08, 2017 11:25 pm 
Rank This Poster

I only drink Anchor Steam when I’m in San Francisco.

Which means I haven’t had one in over 2 years. :?

PostPosted: Sat July 08, 2017 11:42 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

run2death wrote:
washing machine wrote:

To be perfectly honest, I hadn’t been there for at least 3 years. And many of the changes in the kitchen could have happened before the change-over.

That being said, I do know the brewery part has seen significant changes. The PHX craft brew “scene” is pretty incestuous and most of the big players here were employed at Four Peaks at some point. I know the original brewers at AZ Wilderness and SanTan and a dude who works at DRAFT Magazine and they all say the AB buyout resulted in big changes on the brew side.

I'm super interested in this conversation after watching the craft beer community turn on Karbach this year. Nothing about the beer has changed here...yet. In fact, some of my favorite brews they've done have been developed after the buyout. I'm not sure Karbach is a good example of how AB runs the High End division though because I don't know anything about how Four Peaks, Elysian, Goose etc were run before their buyouts. Karbach grew super fast in the years leading up to the buyout, boasting this insane German brew system that AB would be dumb to replace. But then again, that system was paid for in large part by Silver Eagle, their big dog distributor they've had a relationship with since the early days. SE also distributes AB products...

TL:DR - Karbach has always sort of been a big craft beer and nothing really seems to have changed.

Still, it's very disappointing (but not surprising) to watch the close knit community here eat Karbach employees alive on social media every chance they get. I get it, and I probably wouldn't notice or care as much if the buyout didn't directly affect someone I love, but it's hard to watch a community turn on a brewery and the good people who still work there literally overnight. If my fiance worked at Lone Pint or Brash, I'd probably be right there with the haters though...everyone's a hypocrite.

Do you know much about how Four Peaks was brewed before and after the buyout? I wonder if AB's strategy is to buy breweries that are already rapidly growing?

PostPosted: Sun July 09, 2017 12:28 am 
Rank This Poster

washing machine wrote:
run2death wrote:
washing machine wrote:

I'm super interested in this conversation after watching the craft beer community turn on Karbach this year. Nothing about the beer has changed here...yet. In fact, some of my favorite brews they've done have been developed after the buyout. I'm not sure Karbach is a good example of how AB runs the High End division though because I don't know anything about how Four Peaks, Elysian, Goose etc were run before their buyouts. Karbach grew super fast in the years leading up to the buyout, boasting this insane German brew system that AB would be dumb to replace. But then again, that system was paid for in large part by Silver Eagle, their big dog distributor they've had a relationship with since the early days. SE also distributes AB products...

TL:DR - Karbach has always sort of been a big craft beer and nothing really seems to have changed.

Still, it's very disappointing (but not surprising) to watch the close knit community here eat Karbach employees alive on social media every chance they get. I get it, and I probably wouldn't notice or care as much if the buyout didn't directly affect someone I love, but it's hard to watch a community turn on a brewery and the good people who still work there literally overnight. If my fiance worked at Lone Pint or Brash, I'd probably be right there with the haters though...everyone's a hypocrite.

Do you know much about how Four Peaks was brewed before and after the buyout? I wonder if AB's strategy is to buy breweries that are already rapidly growing?

I don’t really know all the details and I fully suspect there’s a bit of craft beer snobbery going on.

Four Peaks in general was in decline, particularly after a couple of magazines declared AZ Wilderness “the best brewery in America.” After that the craft beer market completely exploded. And Four Peaks was kinda passé. I currently have 4 really good breweries within 10 minutes of my house.

I suspect AB is buying breweries that are rapidly growing and breweries that have a solid reputation, but have seen their fortunes stagnate in the “craft beer revolution.” That’s a total guess however based on a very tiny sample size and total specualation.

All of this being said, Four Peak’s Hop Knot is still my go-to cheap local IPA that I can get at all the grocery stores. It’s still very good and cost $8 for a sixer.

PostPosted: Sun July 09, 2017 1:00 am 
Looks Like a Cat

run2death wrote:
washing machine wrote:

I don’t really know all the details and I fully suspect there’s a bit of craft beer snobbery going on.

Four Peaks in general was in decline, particularly after a couple of magazines declared AZ Wilderness “the best brewery in America.” After that the craft beer market completely exploded. And Four Peaks was kinda passé. I currently have 4 really good breweries within 10 minutes of my house.

I suspect AB is buying breweries that are rapidly growing and breweries that have a solid reputation, but have seen their fortunes stagnate in the “craft beer revolution.” That’s a total guess however based on a very tiny sample size and total specualation.

All of this being said, Four Peak’s Hop Knot is still my go-to cheap local IPA that I can get at all the grocery stores. It’s still very good and cost $8 for a sixer.

I like to think of it in terms of music, particularly the early 90's grunge explosion. On one hand you've got the commercialization and commodification of something considered pure, homegrown and local. On the other hand you've got people who worked their asses off and were rewarded with a payday, more resources to make more things and an opportunity to expose a much larger group of people to something that otherwise would stay local and obscure.

I don't honestly know why craft beer snobbery takes precedence over common sense and personal preference at the grocery store and bar apart from a seat on a moral high horse. This issue feels compounded in Texas thanks to some serious corruption from the distribution lobbyists, but I don't fully buy that choosing buyout beers over brewers guild approved craft is a zero sum game. Glad to hear that thoughtful drinkers with good taste like you still reach for the Hop Knots of the world if you still like it, '2death.
Spoiler: show
Also, great to talk things with you again. You were always one of my favorite posters.

PostPosted: Sun July 09, 2017 1:24 am 
Rank This Poster

Back at you, friend.

PostPosted: Sun July 09, 2017 8:54 pm 
Rank This Poster

Midnight Run Coffee Stout from 12 West Brewing. Usually not in the mood for stouts when it's 120 outside, but I had a hankerin'. Delicious.

PostPosted: Sun July 09, 2017 9:16 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Looks really good.

PostPosted: Mon July 10, 2017 6:55 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

The town I grew up in got it's first brewery this month.
https://www.facebook.com/MagicCityBrewingCo/

PostPosted: Thu July 13, 2017 12:57 am 
Rank This Poster

KiloHop. A super dense DIPA that's surprisingly smooth. One of the few "malty" IPAs that I actually like and the best beer SanTan produces by a wide margin. They used to be one of AZ's best, but seem to be far too caught up in distribution these days. They'd easily rank in the bottom quarter of AZ breweries now and I hate to see the garbage they ship out of state.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188 ... 286  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining