The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Late night bar seating at a dying restaurant
PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2019 9:04 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I googled them shortly before bottom-paging your sorry ass.

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2019 9:06 pm 
Rank This Poster

you clowned me, bro

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2019 9:28 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

great success

PostPosted: Sat June 13, 2020 10:37 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

The bar across the street from the one I manage closed last night. They cited COVID-19, but they haven't been profitable for years. It's hard to explain that concept to people, since they were always packed to the brim during weekends, baseball season, soccer season and playoffs, but that's what happens when your staff gives away the house night after night and you constantly buy out your distributor's warehouse beer inventory and just sit on it.

Still, we all (the bars around here) had a good neighborhood thing going on before the pandemic, and it's been rocked. Now the dust is settling and a lot of places are learning the hard way that their management should've read a P&L every once in a while. Of course this isn't true of every spot that is closing after the pandemic, but it's often the case early in this new era of mass closures.

I don't really know the moral of the story here if you're a consumer? I guess I'd say the best thing for anyone to do right now is get to know their local dying restaurants and bars real well, learn how they operate, how the treat their staff, and give your money to the ones that deserve to die a noble death. Let the shit shows crash and burn and don't let 'em fool you into thinking it was just about COVID-19.

...on that note, my regular coffee shop was subletting in one of this bar's leased areas and they closed overnight along with the bar. That one hurts. I will miss them and their staff dearly.

PostPosted: Sat June 13, 2020 10:48 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

washing machine wrote:
The bar across the street from the one I manage closed last night. They cited COVID-19, but they haven't been profitable for years. It's hard to explain that concept to people, since they were always packed to the brim during weekends, baseball season, soccer season and playoffs, but that's what happens when your staff gives away the house night after night and you constantly buy out your distributor's warehouse beer inventory and just sit on it.

Still, we all (the bars around here) had a good neighborhood thing going on before the pandemic, and it's been rocked. Now the dust is settling and a lot of places are learning the hard way that their management should've read a P&L every once in a while. Of course this isn't true of every spot that is closing after the pandemic, but it's the case more often than not this early in this new era of mass closures.

I don't really know the moral of the story here if you're a consumer? I guess I'd say the best thing for anyone to do right now is get to know their local dying restaurants and bars real well, learn how they operate, how the treat their staff, and give your money to the ones that deserve to die a noble death. Let the shit shows crash and burn and don't let 'em fool you into thinking it was just about COVID-19.

Also, my regular coffee shop was subletting in one of this bar's leased areas and they closed overnight along with the bar. That one hurts. I will miss them and their staff dearly.

I enjoyed reading this post. You SHOULD do short stories.

PostPosted: Sun June 14, 2020 12:51 am 
Looks Like a Cat

knee tunes wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Still, we all (the bars around here) had a good neighborhood thing going on before the pandemic, and it's been rocked. Now the dust is settling and a lot of places are learning the hard way that their management should've read a P&L every once in a while. Of course this isn't true of every spot that is closing after the pandemic, but it's often the case early in this new era of mass closures.

...on that note, my regular coffee shop was subletting in one of this bar's leased areas and they closed overnight along with the bar. That one hurts. I will miss them and their staff dearly.

I enjoyed reading this post. You SHOULD do short stories.

But now I don't have a coffee shop to write in... :|

PostPosted: Sun June 14, 2020 1:12 am 
The Master

Hey Reid:

https://ediblehouston.ediblecommunities ... contribute

PostPosted: Sun June 14, 2020 5:53 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

:heartbeat:

PostPosted: Mon September 28, 2020 10:03 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I saw a chinese food kitchen getting wheeled away out of the back alley of a strip mall today. Deep fryers, flat tops, low-boy coolers all slathered in years and years of grade-a grease and MSG. I've had countless meals at this spot, but never a truly memorable one.

This was the place to eat if you needed to kill some time and read, or if you had money burning a hole in your pocket and a day off. More than a few times in the financially dark decade I spent doing everything but going to my college classes, I can remember using cash I had earned pawning my laptop or selling some DVDs on a hot plate of their sesame chicken. Sad to see all that history get snuck out the back door like that.

Funny thing is, as absolutely disgusting all this equipment looked, there was an immaculate looking carbon steel wok that got loaded in the front seat of the truck. I wonder what's in store for that thing.

PostPosted: Mon September 28, 2020 10:07 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

washing machine wrote:
I saw a chinese food kitchen getting wheeled away out of the back alley of a strip mall today. Deep fryers, flat tops, low-boy coolers all slathered in years and years of grade-a grease and MSG. I've had countless meals at this spot, but never a truly memorable one.

This was the place to eat if you needed to kill some time and read, or if you had money burning a hole in your pocket and a day off. More than a few times in the financially dark decade I spent doing everything but going to my college classes, I can remember using cash I had earned pawning my laptop or selling some DVDs on a hot plate of their sesame chicken. Sad to see all that history get snuck out the back door like that.

Funny thing is, as absolutely disgusting all this equipment looked, there was an immaculate looking carbon steel wok that got loaded in the front seat of the truck. I wonder what's in store for that thing.

rank 5 good movies you would sell on dvd and never watch again for a sesame chicken..

PostPosted: Mon September 28, 2020 10:14 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

doug rr wrote:
washing machine wrote:

rank 5 good movies you would sell on dvd and never watch again for a sesame chicken..

5. I Heart Huckabees
4. Kingpin
3. Amelie
2. Coffee & Cigarettes
1. For a Few Dollars More

PostPosted: Tue September 29, 2020 11:35 pm 
Poster of the Year

wtf you'd give up kingpin?

PostPosted: Tue September 29, 2020 11:52 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Guys, go and watch Bloody Nose, Empty Pockets.

PostPosted: Sun December 27, 2020 2:01 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

not sure this is the right thread but a great article nonetheless....this will hit home with Joey...i was lucky enough to eat there a couple times

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/maga ... covid.html

PostPosted: Sun December 27, 2020 4:41 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i realized that article was reprinted today from earlier this year...my apologies

PostPosted: Sun December 27, 2020 10:21 pm 
The Master

doug rr wrote:
i realized that article was reprinted today from earlier this year...my apologies

fuck you

PostPosted: Sun December 27, 2020 10:26 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
doug rr wrote:

fuck you

i'm doing the best i can in uncertain times

PostPosted: Sun December 27, 2020 10:36 pm 
The Master

doug rr wrote:
doug rr wrote:

fuck you

i'm kinda craving dickeys

PostPosted: Sun December 27, 2020 10:48 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

doug rr wrote:
doug rr wrote:

fuck you

i have not had okra in a few months

PostPosted: Sun December 27, 2020 10:51 pm 
The Master

doug rr wrote:
doug rr wrote:
doug rr wrote:

fuck you

i have not had okra in a few months

i've had it a few times recently, but also went a somewhat extended period without any

why we do deprive ourselves so

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining