The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Is that a bad or weird or rude or cringe thing to do?
Yes, I am judging you 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
No, do what you want 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 7
 Post subject: Re: Is it weird or rude or bad to bring your own hot sauce t
PostPosted: Sun October 31, 2021 5:55 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

The Argonaut wrote:
Am I allowed to squeegee my windshield if I'm not buying any gas?

of course!

PostPosted: Sun October 31, 2021 5:56 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

doug rr wrote:
epilogue wrote:
wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
Is this rude or likely to be commented on at:

Burger King?
Burrito joint?
Local pub?
Gastropub?
Thanksgiving at the in-laws?
Gordon Ramsay restaurant?

I ate at a Ramsay joint once. I did not want or need any added hot sauce.

However, I have wanted/needed added hot sauce on occasion at all other examples you listed.

Which Ramsay joint?

The London in NYC. I think it's now closed. We did the chef's table for a friend's birthday several years back.

my wife and i had our 7 year itch anniversary party/dinner there...good stuff..he also does a mean sweetbread

Oh yeah! That's true. The sweetbreads were fucking great. I do remember that now that you mention it.

PostPosted: Sun October 31, 2021 5:59 pm 
mXn

The Argonaut wrote:

If you’re gonna steal an idea from a tv commercial and turn it into an RM post, there are better options to choose from.

PostPosted: Sun October 31, 2021 5:59 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Bammer wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

If you’re gonna steal an idea from a tv commercial and turn it into an RM post, there are better options to choose from.

Aflac!

PostPosted: Sun October 31, 2021 6:04 pm 
Gone

Go back to your she shed.

PostPosted: Sun October 31, 2021 6:07 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Jorge wrote:
The one place I've ever done this was a neighborhood pizza place that made the best chicken milanesa sandwich I'd ever had. The first time I ate it, I loved it, but immediately knew it would go super well with this one specific hot sauce called Tocino de Fuego: Fiery Spanish Bacon. So I ordered in and tried it at home. It was in fact good, but the delivery journey had cooled it slightly, the effect was dulled. From then on, I started bringing this hot sauce along every time we went there. Over time I became a regular, and I became friends with the owner and staff. They knew I'd always order the same sandwich. They knew I'd always bring my little bottle of hot sauce. They knew I'd always leave a good tip. It was good. We were happy. Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name

Good post.

PostPosted: Sun October 31, 2021 6:08 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

epilogue wrote:
wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:
wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

Burger King?
Burrito joint?
Local pub?
Gastropub?

However, I have wanted/needed added hot sauce on occasion at all other examples you listed.

Which Ramsay joint?

The London in NYC. I think it's now closed. We did the chef's table for a friend's birthday several years back.

Was it as good as Ramsay would have you believe?

The experience was amazing. A real once in a lifetime type thing for me. Outside of having freshly shaved black truffle for the firs time, I don't really remember anything about the food. It was good but not life changing. But it pales in comparison to just about every other high end place I've been in NYC (Eleven Madison Park, Le Bernardin, The Modern, WD-50, Prune, etc).

But the chef's table experience was out of this world.

Which was the best, and why? Genuine question.

PostPosted: Sun October 31, 2021 6:18 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i don't really see a big deal bringing your own hot sauce if you're discreet about it i guess...when my wife and i used to go to nyc before we lived there we used to stay at a hotel with a great roof deck in the west 50s..they charged about $12 a bottle for beer so i would go to the bodega next door and sneak up bottles from there that cost me $2

PostPosted: Sun October 31, 2021 6:24 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Anders wrote:
epilogue wrote:
wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:
wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

Burger King?
Burrito joint?
Local pub?
Gastropub?

Which Ramsay joint?

The experience was amazing. A real once in a lifetime type thing for me. Outside of having freshly shaved black truffle for the firs time, I don't really remember anything about the food. It was good but not life changing. But it pales in comparison to just about every other high end place I've been in NYC (Eleven Madison Park, Le Bernardin, The Modern, WD-50, Prune, etc).

Prune is my all time favorite restaurant. So, it's #1. But it's also not as fancy or high end as the others I listed. It's really more of an in demand, excellent "neighborhood" spot, really. But it's just amazing. The atmosphere is exactly my style. The food is perfection. Great cocktails.

Eleven Madison Park is by far the single greatest dining experience I've ever had. So I think that would be the best of the super fancy high end places. The staff is expert. The service is unmatched. The food was unique and memorable. Everything about the place just works. We dropped more on that meal than any other meal I've ever had and I still feel like we didn't pay enough for the experience.

I've never had service like that before. They brought out the wrong appetizers to our table and the head waiter, just going off our faces stepped up and said, "by now you're wondering why you have these dishes in front of you, we wanted you to experience them while we prepare the dishes you did order. Please enjoy." There were always servers around, taking care of everything we needed before we even knew we needed anything. But I never felt them, if that makes sense. They were like ninjas! Always there but sort of hidden too. It was wild.

1. Eleven Madison Park
2. Le Bernardin
3. Daniel

PostPosted: Sun October 31, 2021 9:46 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

epilogue wrote:
Anders wrote:
epilogue wrote:
wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:
wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

Burger King?
Burrito joint?
Local pub?
Gastropub?

Which Ramsay joint?

Prune is my all time favorite restaurant. So, it's #1. But it's also not as fancy or high end as the others I listed. It's really more of an in demand, excellent "neighborhood" spot, really. But it's just amazing. The atmosphere is exactly my style. The food is perfection. Great cocktails.

Eleven Madison Park is by far the single greatest dining experience I've ever had. So I think that would be the best of the super fancy high end places. The staff is expert. The service is unmatched. The food was unique and memorable. Everything about the place just works. We dropped more on that meal than any other meal I've ever had and I still feel like we didn't pay enough for the experience.

I've never had service like that before. They brought out the wrong appetizers to our table and the head waiter, just going off our faces stepped up and said, "by now you're wondering why you have these dishes in front of you, we wanted you to experience them while we prepare the dishes you did order. Please enjoy." There were always servers around, taking care of everything we needed before we even knew we needed anything. But I never felt them, if that makes sense. They were like ninjas! Always there but sort of hidden too. It was wild.

1. Eleven Madison Park
2. Le Bernardin
3. Daniel

That does sound wonderful. Would love to try Eleven Madison Park one day.

PostPosted: Sun October 31, 2021 9:48 pm 
Production Police

My wife also ranks 11 Madison as her #1 meal, and we've eaten at a lot of fancy places

PostPosted: Sun October 31, 2021 9:58 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Le Bernardin is a close, CLOSE second. I may even prefer the food at LB, honestly, gun to head. But the overall experience at 11MP was just something else. AND the food was stellar.

PostPosted: Sun October 31, 2021 11:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I’ve eaten at a few Michelin star places, both abroad and here. It’s expensive, but usually a real treat. Got a three star one not too far from here.

But my most fun gourmet experience was at a place that doesn’t have any stars. They serve only one full room every night, the menu changes every day, ten dishes for about ten tables, very generous on the wine, and large shots if you buy them. We had a chef with us that had worked there a few times. We bought a bottle of cava for the kitchen, got an extra dish and a drink in return. Both playfully made.

The food was out of this world. One meal with pike, might be the best I’ve ever eaten. Strange, because normally I wouldn’t even think about eating pike. We were all nearly lost for words eating it. The chef said out loud something a bit crude about how wonderful it was, which made us all laugh.

By the last meal, dessert, we’d had two beers, two shots, and ten glasses of wine. The dessert was the one thing that did not leave a lasting impression.

They say there are two kinds of people, those who love Palace Grill, and those who don’t. They themselves call it rythm & booze.

PostPosted: Sun October 31, 2021 11:54 pm 

I'm at a place where I don't even like going to restaurants with waiters. I much prefer the places where you order at the counter

PostPosted: Sun October 31, 2021 11:57 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The Argonaut wrote:
I'm at a place where I don't even like going to restaurants with waiters. I much prefer the places where you order at the counter

No problem bringing your own hot sauce then.

PostPosted: Mon November 01, 2021 12:11 am 

My one liter bottle of Valentina is decidedly not portable :(

PostPosted: Mon November 01, 2021 2:06 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

The Argonaut wrote:

I'm with you here, friend

PostPosted: Mon November 01, 2021 2:19 am 
Gone

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

PostPosted: Mon November 01, 2021 4:16 am 
mXn

epilogue wrote:
Anders wrote:
epilogue wrote:
wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:
wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

Burger King?
Burrito joint?
Local pub?
Gastropub?

Which Ramsay joint?

1. Eleven Madison Park
2. Le Bernardin
3. Daniel

But do you bring your own hot sauce?

PostPosted: Mon November 01, 2021 5:59 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

macphisto wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining