The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Is that a bad or weird or rude or cringe thing to do?
Yes, I am judging you 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
No, do what you want 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 7
 Post subject: Re: Is it weird or rude or bad to bring your own hot sauce t
PostPosted: Mon November 01, 2021 3:56 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

macphisto wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
I'm at a place where I don't even like going to restaurants with waiters. I much prefer the places where you order at the counter

I'm with you here, friend

Gross

PostPosted: Mon November 01, 2021 4:31 pm 
Major Dude

I just had a McRib yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon November 01, 2021 5:30 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

epilogue wrote:
Anders wrote:
epilogue wrote:
wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:
wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
Is this rude or likely to be commented on at:

Burger King?
Burrito joint?
Local pub?
Gastropub?
Thanksgiving at the in-laws?
Gordon Ramsay restaurant?

I ate at a Ramsay joint once. I did not want or need any added hot sauce.

However, I have wanted/needed added hot sauce on occasion at all other examples you listed.

Which Ramsay joint?

The London in NYC. I think it's now closed. We did the chef's table for a friend's birthday several years back.

Was it as good as Ramsay would have you believe?

The experience was amazing. A real once in a lifetime type thing for me. Outside of having freshly shaved black truffle for the firs time, I don't really remember anything about the food. It was good but not life changing. But it pales in comparison to just about every other high end place I've been in NYC (Eleven Madison Park, Le Bernardin, The Modern, WD-50, Prune, etc).

But the chef's table experience was out of this world.

Which was the best, and why? Genuine question.

Prune is my all time favorite restaurant. So, it's #1. But it's also not as fancy or high end as the others I listed. It's really more of an in demand, excellent "neighborhood" spot, really. But it's just amazing. The atmosphere is exactly my style. The food is perfection. Great cocktails.

Eleven Madison Park is by far the single greatest dining experience I've ever had. So I think that would be the best of the super fancy high end places. The staff is expert. The service is unmatched. The food was unique and memorable. Everything about the place just works. We dropped more on that meal than any other meal I've ever had and I still feel like we didn't pay enough for the experience.

I've never had service like that before. They brought out the wrong appetizers to our table and the head waiter, just going off our faces stepped up and said, "by now you're wondering why you have these dishes in front of you, we wanted you to experience them while we prepare the dishes you did order. Please enjoy." There were always servers around, taking care of everything we needed before we even knew we needed anything. But I never felt them, if that makes sense. They were like ninjas! Always there but sort of hidden too. It was wild.

1. Eleven Madison Park
2. Le Bernardin
3. Daniel

all 3 are amazing places..funny thing is that i can't tell you what i had to eat while there..daniel is the only one I've been to on multiple occasions (3)

joe or trag, have you been to per se?

PostPosted: Mon November 01, 2021 5:35 pm 
Production Police

I’ve never been to any of TK’s restaurants, but I worked with a few TK kitchen alums and I make his roast chicken like once a month.

PostPosted: Mon November 01, 2021 6:10 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
I’ve never been to any of TK’s restaurants, but I worked with a few TK kitchen alums and I make his roast chicken like once a month.

you and yours should take a car ride down to yountville

PostPosted: Mon November 01, 2021 6:16 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I've been trying to get my dad to take Diet Coke to restaurants because my mom is a diabetic with Alzheimer's so if they fuck up and give her a regular Coke, he won't know until her blood sugar shoots through the roof.

The message there is worse than the hot sauce, "I'm bringing in my own drink because I don't trust you to do your job correctly," but fuck it. We're talking about her health.

PostPosted: Mon November 01, 2021 6:49 pm 
Gone

B wrote:
I've been trying to get my dad to take Diet Coke to restaurants because my mom is a diabetic with Alzheimer's so if they fuck up and give her a regular Coke, he won't know until her blood sugar shoots through the roof.

The message there is worse than the hot sauce, "I'm bringing in my own drink because I don't trust you to do your job correctly," but fuck it. We're talking about her health.

Why not just order water? Certainly healthier than DC and you avoid the whole issue.

PostPosted: Mon November 01, 2021 6:58 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

macphisto wrote:
B wrote:

Why not just order water? Certainly healthier than DC and you avoid the whole issue.

My mom isn't aware enough to know she's drinking a Coke, but she is aware enough to make a scene if she doesn't get her Diet Coke with dinner.

PostPosted: Mon November 01, 2021 8:29 pm 
The Master

i would imagine bringing food in from the outside could open a restaurant up to health code violations

PostPosted: Mon November 01, 2021 8:35 pm 
Production Police

whoa, spike cutting through the BS like a surgeon!

PostPosted: Mon November 01, 2021 9:02 pm 
Major Dude

Spike keeping it real.

PostPosted: Mon November 01, 2021 9:10 pm 
Production Police

spike for mod

PostPosted: Mon November 01, 2021 9:11 pm 
Production Police

also spike do you want to wrap RMCast E1?

PostPosted: Mon November 01, 2021 10:04 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
also spike do you want to wrap RMCast E1?

that’s not even real

PostPosted: Tue November 02, 2021 12:33 am 
Poster of the Year

B wrote:
macphisto wrote:
B wrote:

My mom isn't aware enough to know she's drinking a Coke, but she is aware enough to make a scene if she doesn't get her Diet Coke with dinner.

Taster her Diet Coke before she does to ensure it's not regular?

PostPosted: Tue November 02, 2021 12:36 am 
Production Police

Norris in the age of covid how could you

PostPosted: Tue November 02, 2021 12:12 pm 
mXn

B wrote:
macphisto wrote:
B wrote:

Coke is a hell of a drug

PostPosted: Tue November 02, 2021 2:10 pm 
Production Police

epilogue wrote:
Anders wrote:
epilogue wrote:
wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:
wease wrote:
epilogue wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
Is this rude or likely to be commented on at:

Burger King?
Burrito joint?
Local pub?
Gastropub?
Thanksgiving at the in-laws?
Gordon Ramsay restaurant?

I ate at a Ramsay joint once. I did not want or need any added hot sauce.

However, I have wanted/needed added hot sauce on occasion at all other examples you listed.

Which Ramsay joint?

The London in NYC. I think it's now closed. We did the chef's table for a friend's birthday several years back.

Was it as good as Ramsay would have you believe?

The experience was amazing. A real once in a lifetime type thing for me. Outside of having freshly shaved black truffle for the firs time, I don't really remember anything about the food. It was good but not life changing. But it pales in comparison to just about every other high end place I've been in NYC (Eleven Madison Park, Le Bernardin, The Modern, WD-50, Prune, etc).

But the chef's table experience was out of this world.

Which was the best, and why? Genuine question.

Prune is my all time favorite restaurant. So, it's #1. But it's also not as fancy or high end as the others I listed. It's really more of an in demand, excellent "neighborhood" spot, really. But it's just amazing. The atmosphere is exactly my style. The food is perfection. Great cocktails.

Eleven Madison Park is by far the single greatest dining experience I've ever had. So I think that would be the best of the super fancy high end places. The staff is expert. The service is unmatched. The food was unique and memorable. Everything about the place just works. We dropped more on that meal than any other meal I've ever had and I still feel like we didn't pay enough for the experience.

I've never had service like that before. They brought out the wrong appetizers to our table and the head waiter, just going off our faces stepped up and said, "by now you're wondering why you have these dishes in front of you, we wanted you to experience them while we prepare the dishes you did order. Please enjoy." There were always servers around, taking care of everything we needed before we even knew we needed anything. But I never felt them, if that makes sense. They were like ninjas! Always there but sort of hidden too. It was wild.

1. Eleven Madison Park
2. Le Bernardin
3. Daniel

Also I never made it to Prune :-(

But her cook book is one of the best that I own. I love all her little notes and asides, stuff she would tell her kitchen staff

PostPosted: Tue November 02, 2021 2:36 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Norris wrote:
B wrote:
macphisto wrote:
B wrote:

My mom used to know in a sip if she got regular. I (and I assume the same for my dad) have never been able to tell easily or know for certain.

Honestly, I don't think restaurants give a fuck if a diabetic brings a bottle of Caffeine-Free Diet Coke and pours it into a glass of ice. I just can't get my dad to do it.

PostPosted: Tue November 02, 2021 4:00 pm 
The Master

B wrote:
Norris wrote:
B wrote:
macphisto wrote:
B wrote:

My mom used to know in a sip if she got regular. I (and I assume the same for my dad) have never been able to tell easily or know for certain.

Honestly, I don't think restaurants give a fuck if a diabetic brings a bottle of Caffeine-Free Diet Coke and pours it into a glass of ice. I just can't get my dad to do it.

i dunno, they can charge a lot for soda and profit margins in the restaurant biz are already razor thin.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining