The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: bread
PostPosted: Sun March 29, 2020 5:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 23903
Chris_H_2 wrote:
so anyway, yeah, i finally found bread flour.

i'm making whole wheat bread today.

Mind Your Timers


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: bread
PostPosted: Tue April 07, 2020 4:30 am 
Offline
User avatar
for those who
are not...shall be
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 7:30 am
Posts: 15104
Location: here
Bread Dot


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: bread
PostPosted: Sat April 11, 2020 11:20 pm 
Offline
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 32074
Location: the beach
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/scie ... brary.html


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: bread
PostPosted: Sat April 11, 2020 11:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 21700
Ciabatta or gtfo

_________________
All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: bread
PostPosted: Mon April 20, 2020 4:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18314
Location: Space City
The starter I've been working on passed the float test today, so I'm going to try to make a dough later today and bake a loaf tomorrow AM.

For anyone curious, I've been following the guides on theperfectloaf.com. @Maurizio outlines a pretty straightforward process, and his Instagram account is full of great visual cues.

I haven't been able to source the best flour right now, so hopefully this AP and bread flour blend works. He uses a bunch of different flours that I just don't have right now.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: bread
PostPosted: Mon April 20, 2020 5:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 13868
Location: An office full of assholes
washing machine wrote:
The starter I've been working on passed the float test today, so I'm going to try to make a dough later today and bake a loaf tomorrow AM.

For anyone curious, I've been following the guides on theperfectloaf.com. @Maurizio outlines a pretty straightforward process, and his Instagram account is full of great visual cues.

I haven't been able to source the best flour right now, so hopefully this AP and bread flour blend works. He uses a bunch of different flours that I just don't have right now.

what kind of container are you using? i noticed that the ones on his site are all unavailable. i think that mason jars would be difficult because of the lip.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: bread
PostPosted: Mon April 20, 2020 5:30 pm 
Offline
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 32074
Location: the beach
Chris_H_2 wrote:
washing machine wrote:
The starter I've been working on passed the float test today, so I'm going to try to make a dough later today and bake a loaf tomorrow AM.

For anyone curious, I've been following the guides on theperfectloaf.com. @Maurizio outlines a pretty straightforward process, and his Instagram account is full of great visual cues.

I haven't been able to source the best flour right now, so hopefully this AP and bread flour blend works. He uses a bunch of different flours that I just don't have right now.

what kind of container are you using? i noticed that the ones on his site are all unavailable. i think that mason jars would be difficult because of the lip.

my wife's starter of over 7 or 8 years has always just been a mason jar


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: bread
PostPosted: Mon April 20, 2020 7:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 13868
Location: An office full of assholes
doug rr wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
washing machine wrote:
The starter I've been working on passed the float test today, so I'm going to try to make a dough later today and bake a loaf tomorrow AM.

For anyone curious, I've been following the guides on theperfectloaf.com. @Maurizio outlines a pretty straightforward process, and his Instagram account is full of great visual cues.

I haven't been able to source the best flour right now, so hopefully this AP and bread flour blend works. He uses a bunch of different flours that I just don't have right now.

what kind of container are you using? i noticed that the ones on his site are all unavailable. i think that mason jars would be difficult because of the lip.

my wife's starter of over 7 or 8 years has always just been a mason jar

that's good to know. i was just telling reid the other day that i want to start a starter, but i'm a big baby. and i was using the fact that i only have mason jars as an excuse.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: bread
PostPosted: Mon April 20, 2020 8:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18314
Location: Space City
I'm actually just using old pickle jars. I bet he recommends Weck jars on the blog for a number of reasons. They're probably the most efficient, but Weck probably pays him to say so too.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: bread
PostPosted: Tue April 21, 2020 2:24 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18314
Location: Space City
Starter is fine, but somehow I totally screwed up my dough build before adding the starter. I followed the measurements exactly, yet I ended up with something closer to batter than dough. Bulk fermentation folding didn't happen, but I'm setting this weird rising batter in a warm place overnight just to see what happens. I don't have high hopes.

My only guess is that since I used nothing but AP flour, maurizio's flour and water ratios didn't work for me. The beginner recipe on his website calls for three different types of flour. Bah!

Starting again tomorrow. Practice makes perfect I guess.

Doug give me whiskey. Everything will be alright.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: bread
PostPosted: Tue April 21, 2020 7:13 pm 
Offline
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 32074
Location: the beach
washing machine wrote:
Starter is fine, but somehow I totally screwed up my dough build before adding the starter. I followed the measurements exactly, yet I ended up with something closer to batter than dough. Bulk fermentation folding didn't happen, but I'm setting this weird rising batter in a warm place overnight just to see what happens. I don't have high hopes.

My only guess is that since I used nothing but AP flour, maurizio's flour and water ratios didn't work for me. The beginner recipe on his website calls for three different types of flour. Bah!

Starting again tomorrow. Practice makes perfect I guess.

Doug give me whiskey. Everything will be alright.


Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: bread
PostPosted: Mon April 27, 2020 5:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18314
Location: Space City
Getting the process down! I've made this recipe (halved for one loaf) twice now. Second time around, my bread bulked up so much more. I attribute that to a better understanding of exactly when to start building a levain.

First loaf.
I pulled from my starter arbitrarily for the levain, not paying attention to when it was mature. The loaf itself is a prettier shape, but that's because it didn't bulk as much as I wanted it to. The good thing about that is that I had some good practice shaping a boule.

Spoiler: show
Image
Image


Second loaf.
I watched my starter for a week and pulled to make a levain at a better time. Made the levain overnight and fed again in the AM to strengthen it. Started mixing into dough about six hours later. I also paid much more attention to room temp. The ol' let it rest in an oven with the light on trick works. This loaf was significantly bigger and I think more dome-y. It was a little unwieldy to shape because of that same reason.

Spoiler: show
Image
Image


Here's what's going on with my starter these days. I've got a second one going in the background to give to my sister.

Spoiler: show
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: bread
PostPosted: Wed April 29, 2020 1:52 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18314
Location: Space City
A C K N O W L E D G E my bread, mosquitoes!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: bread
PostPosted: Wed April 29, 2020 2:05 am 
Offline
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Fri November 15, 2013 6:14 am
Posts: 21318
Pretty cool, wm.

I'll be pulling a loaf of banana bread out of the oven in about 10 minutes.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: bread
PostPosted: Wed April 29, 2020 2:35 am 
Offline
User avatar
for those who
are not...shall be
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 7:30 am
Posts: 15104
Location: here
washing machine wrote:
A C K N O W L E D G E my bread, mosquitoes!!!



That IS a nice shaped boule, washing machine.

Loaf #2 looks like a chicken , but that is neat too!

Very cool starter also 8-)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: bread
PostPosted: Wed April 29, 2020 10:12 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18314
Location: Space City
Thanks guys. It means a lot.

Kaius, I've never tried banana bread. Is it difficult?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: bread
PostPosted: Wed April 29, 2020 1:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 13868
Location: An office full of assholes
washing machine wrote:
Thanks guys. It means a lot.

Kaius, I've never tried banana bread. Is it difficult?

Every recipe I’ve seen shows it acts more like a no-knead cake or muffin batter than a bread dough.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: bread
PostPosted: Wed April 29, 2020 9:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Fri January 04, 2013 1:46 am
Posts: 1654
Location: Connecticut
Chris_H_2 wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Thanks guys. It means a lot.

Kaius, I've never tried banana bread. Is it difficult?

Every recipe I’ve seen shows it acts more like a no-knead cake or muffin batter than a bread dough.


Yes, more of loosely mixed batter. It is super easy.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: bread
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 8:08 pm
Posts: 2953
I have a hard time getting into making dough breads because stuff made with a batter is so much easier. Even beer bread is so much easier than something you have to knead a lot. One of these days.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: bread
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:58 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 40963
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
My starter shit the bed on day 5, and I have yet to begin again. Jealous of WM’s bread prowess.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed March 03, 2021 5:42 am