The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post subject: Re: Gut Health
PostPosted: Wed October 10, 2018 6:50 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
--- wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
have him look into VSL-3, it's a european mega-probiotic that has been a godsend for a few of the people i mentioned. seriously, share this info with him.

i have colitis and include this in my regimen

:hooray: (not that you have colitis, but that you know about VSL-3)

i've read anecdotes about it being life changing, but i haven't seen much benefit. i'm lucky that my condition is mild (no surgeries, one flare-related hospitalization twelve years ago) and can be mostly controlled with commercial mesalamine RXs, but i still supplement it with probiotics and a healthy diet.

life is truly miserable during a flare-up though

PostPosted: Wed October 10, 2018 6:54 pm 
Production Police

--- wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
--- wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
have him look into VSL-3, it's a european mega-probiotic that has been a godsend for a few of the people i mentioned. seriously, share this info with him.

i've read anecdotes about it being life changing, but i haven't seen much benefit. i'm lucky that my condition is mild (no surgeries, one flare-related hospitalization twelve years ago) and can be mostly controlled with commercial mesalamine RXs, but i still supplement it with probiotics and a healthy diet.

yeah, my sister can basically demarcate her quality of life as Before VSL and After

PostPosted: Wed October 10, 2018 6:59 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
--- wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
--- wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

yeah, my sister can basically demarcate her quality of life as Before VSL and After

auto-immune diseases are so weird

very happy to read a success story though. i wouldn't wish this disease on anyone other than glorified_version

PostPosted: Wed October 10, 2018 7:10 pm 
Production Police

--- wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
--- wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
--- wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

very happy to read a success story though. i wouldn't wish this disease on anyone other than glorified_version

Ha, "success story." They had to remove her entire colon and reshape her small intestine into the so-called "J Pouch." She shat herself regularly and took opium for a year while only eating white carbs and water...

That was in 2008. Now she has a full life with a full, completely varied diet and no real incontinence issues. VSL-3 is a HUGE part of that, but more importantly was her training her small intestine to do the work of the large intestine.

The auto-immune bowel diseases are fucking hell. My hat's off to McCready for promoting awareness as regularly as he does.

PostPosted: Wed October 10, 2018 7:14 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
--- wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
--- wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
--- wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Ha, "success story." They had to remove her entire colon and reshape her small intestine into the so-called "J Pouch." She shat herself regularly and took opium for a year while only eating white carbs and water...

That was in 2008. Now she has a full life with a full, completely varied diet and no real incontinence issues. VSL-3 is a HUGE part of that, but more importantly was her training her small intestine to do the work of the large intestine.

The auto-immune bowel diseases are fucking hell. My hat's off to McCready for promoting awareness as regularly as he does.

"success" is relative, it's true

it's good that her quality of life has reached the level it has, past struggles notwithstanding

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining