Switch to full style
Mmmm...sacrilicious...
Post a reply

Re: Martinis

Thu April 26, 2018 9:19 pm

Fuck! I want a Martini so badly now.

Sat October 20, 2018 10:56 pm

washing machine wrote:Everyone has opinions on this drink. Mine’s correct.

3/1 gin and vermouth ratio. Dash of orange bitters and then stir and serve with a twist. This makes a bright, classic expression of the drink. Perfect before or after dinner.

One of my favorite bartenders recently showed me a method he likes, which is to stir with the twist and eschew the orange bitters altogether. Can’t say I hate it, but why fix something that’s not broken?

So I'm hoping to try to make my first gin martini with this recipe but forgot vermouth. I know nothing of vermouth, what type do I buy for this? Sweet or dry?

Sun October 21, 2018 2:10 am

Dry. Absolutely. You want a vermouth to complement the botanicals in the gin.

I like Dolin Dry. It’s crisp and relatively neutral, so it lets the gin speak for itself. Think of the orange bitters as seasoning in this scenario. A dash or two will do it, but play around with more if you want to experiment.

Cocchi Americano is also a good vermouth, and a little more on the aperitif side. More of a slightly sweet complexity and a bigger body.

Sun October 21, 2018 2:32 am

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
wease wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:Under no circumstances should a human drink a vodka martini.

What if that human doesn’t like gin but really likes vodka?

Just don't drink a martini then

Aw huh.

Also, that person only likes vodka because it has no taste. It's a complete waste of a drink unless all you're really wanting is maximum drunk.

Potato vodka has flavor though. But it's not great for martinis.

Yeah, there are some decent vodkas that don't distill all the flavor out, for sure. Zamir's vodka is excellent for this very reason. But, in general, I think vodka is a waste. It's a spirit for people who like being drunk but don't want to taste their alcohol. Which is fine. I'm not judging people for that. Just keep that shit out of my Martini.

I feel like I'm being judged.

Sun October 21, 2018 2:36 am

imagine how Heather Graham feels

Sun October 21, 2018 2:41 am

tragabigzanda wrote:imagine how Heather Graham feels

I have.

Sun October 21, 2018 5:34 pm

Martini! I want a Fuck so badly now.
Post a reply