The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grocery Stores and Farmer Markets
PostPosted: Fri March 11, 2022 4:49 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:45 pm 
Major Dude

Got some almond butter from Trader Joe’s last week. It’s just about too salty to even eat.

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2022 10:33 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

we have a local (regional) grocer where we get staples from (Jewel) that's about 10 minutes away from our house. I swear to God, every time I walk into that place, I feel like I'm on the set of Star Wars filming the Mos Eisley scene. The people there are otherworldly. I can't explain it.

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2022 10:36 pm 
The Master

Chris_H_2 wrote:
we have a local (regional) grocer where we get staples from (Jewel) that's about 10 minutes away from our house. I swear to God, every time I walk into that place, I feel like I'm on the set of Star Wars filming the Mos Eisley scene. The people there are otherworldly. I can't explain it.

Jewel definitely attracts a certain demographic, even in the city. Still better then shopping for groceries at Walmart.

PostPosted: Tue November 22, 2022 10:39 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

spike wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

Jewel definitely attracts a certain demographic, even in the city. Still better then shopping for groceries at Walmart.

i swore i would never step foot again in another walmart. that was in 2006. my streak lives.

PostPosted: Wed February 15, 2023 1:45 am 
The Master

Stopped off at our neighborhood fishmonger to pick up lobster tails for dinner. Turns out their shop has doubled in size. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed February 15, 2023 1:54 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

spike wrote:
Stopped off at our neighborhood fishmonger to pick up lobster tails for dinner. Turns out their shop has doubled in size. :thumbsup:

Hopefully it doesn't keep doubling in size. That would get out of hand quickly.

PostPosted: Wed February 15, 2023 1:58 am 
The Master

JuanHamm wrote:
spike wrote:

Hopefully it doesn't keep doubling in size. That would get out of hand quickly.

It was a little place and I’ve been worried it would close like many of the rest, so good sign! Perhaps less competition now.

PostPosted: Wed February 15, 2023 3:57 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

spike wrote:

which one?

PostPosted: Wed February 15, 2023 4:24 pm 
The Master

Chris_H_2 wrote:
spike wrote:

which one?

Dirk’s

PostPosted: Wed February 15, 2023 4:31 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

spike wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
spike wrote:

which one?

Dirk’s

ever have any of their prepared foods (e.g., chowder or lobster rolls)? the boy and i will be in the city saturday and if it's worth it we'll head up there.

PostPosted: Wed February 15, 2023 5:00 pm 
The Master

Chris_H_2 wrote:
spike wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
spike wrote:

which one?

Dirk’s

ever have any of their prepared foods (e.g., chowder or lobster rolls)? the boy and i will be in the city saturday and if it's worth it we'll head up there.

I have not. Head’s up, they don’t have much seating.

PostPosted: Wed February 15, 2023 7:19 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

spike wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
spike wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
spike wrote:

which one?

Dirk’s

I have not. Head’s up, they don’t have much seating.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 10:59 pm 
The Master

Since Amazon took over WF, I had been there just once, to grab a hot meal on the road in VA. So today was my first time actually grocery shopping at WF since the Bezos takeoff and my gosh, what a pitiful shadow of its former self.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 6:51 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
Since Amazon took over WF, I had been there just once, to grab a hot meal on the road in VA. So today was my first time actually grocery shopping at WF since the Bezos takeoff and my gosh, what a pitiful shadow of its former self.

what were you major complaints about it?

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 7:09 pm 
The Master

doug rr wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Enters store.
Immediately in front are berries.
Then dates.
Then white onions.
Then gourds.
Then some oranges.
Then the rest of the alliums.
Then apples and bananas.

The whole shop was like this, just the worst iteration of the standard "We're gonna make your browse everything to find the one thing you want."

And then on top of that, much of their produce was super common variety (gala and pink lady apples only), and much wasn't ripe (mangos that were hard as rocks) or too ripe (grapes that were literally oozing post-split).

I wanted mango salsa to go with some halibut. They were all out of WF brand, all out of third-party brand, and all out of ripe mangos. So I had to go to another store.

Freezer aisle was just as bad. They didn't have the pitaya dragon fruit you turned me onto, but they had pitaya watermelon. WTF? And the whore freezer case was like 2/3 365 brand, 1/3 brands I can get at any other store in town. Just no sense of product discovery like I used to enjoy when I shopped WF regularly.

I will say that the staff was uniformly happier and more helpful than any of the other shops, which I equate to their $25/hr starting rate. But in their effort to streamline supply chains and maximize their margin, and the inventory has suffered to the extent that it's not worth my ever going there again.*

*For groceries. When I ate their buffet in VA last year, I was surprised to find that it was still as good as before the acquisition.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 7:12 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Welcome to my every day, and believe it or not, that WF experience is immeasurably better than any other store in town.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 7:12 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:
doug rr wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Enters store.
Immediately in front are berries.
Then dates.
Then white onions.
Then gourds.
Then some oranges.
Then the rest of the alliums.
Then apples and bananas.

The whole shop was like this, just the worst iteration of the standard "We're gonna make your browse everything to find the one thing you want."

And then on top of that, much of their produce was super common variety (gala and pink lady apples only), and much wasn't ripe (mangos that were hard as rocks) or too ripe (grapes that were literally oozing post-split).

I wanted mango salsa to go with some halibut. They were all out of WF brand, all out of third-party brand, and all out of ripe mangos. So I had to go to another store.

Freezer aisle was just as bad. They didn't have the pitaya dragon fruit you turned me onto, but they had pitaya watermelon. WTF? And the whore freezer case was like 2/3 365 brand, 1/3 brands I can get at any other store in town. Just no sense of product discovery like I used to enjoy when I shopped WF regularly.

I will say that the staff was uniformly happier and more helpful than any of the other shops, which I equate to their $25/hr starting rate. But in their effort to streamline supply chains and maximize their margin, and the inventory has suffered to the extent that it's not worth my ever going there again.*

*For groceries. When I ate their buffet in VA last year, I was surprised to find that it was still as good as before the acquisition.

sounds like you were just at a shitty whole foods to be honest

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 7:21 pm 
The Master

Could be. It opened about two months ago.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 7:50 pm 
The Master

Let’s be honest - shouldn’t expect much from a WF in Montana.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining