Switch to full style
Mmmm...sacrilicious...
Post a reply

The Real American Threat Is Added Sugar

Fri October 06, 2017 3:20 pm

Fuck it's everywhere. Want a cappuccino with a milk alternative? I guarantee the cafe is using the sweetened kind.

Want a healthy acai bowl at your local bourgeois cafe so you can feel superior to the cretins eating bagels down the street? I guarantee the cafe is using the sweetened kind.

The sticky brown drizzle on your Dragon Roll? There's added sugar in that too.

Your delicious cocktail at the end of a long week (or, if you're dougrr, after your morning constitutional)? You better believe there's added sugar in that, bub.

I'm sweet enough, thank you. Yet when Kim drops the nuke, the cockroaches will ravage my charred corpse for delicious morsels of glucose...

Re: The Real American Threat Is Added Sugar

Fri October 06, 2017 3:22 pm

god bless sugar

Fri October 06, 2017 3:32 pm

There are basically six primary types of saccharides: three monosaccharides (glucose, fructose, and galactose), and three disaccharides (lactose, maltose, and sucrose). [Note: Polysaccharides, like starches, are chemically different and don't really fit into this post]. But your body can only absorb glucose. So depending on what type of sugar you are digesting, your body ultimately has to convert it to glucose before it can be used for cellular respiration and other bodily functions. These conversions are energetically taxing, and they ultimately lead to spikes in glycogen, which leads to energy crashes, fat deposits, and diabetes.

Fri October 06, 2017 4:07 pm

good ol' sugar

Fri October 06, 2017 4:11 pm

Fri October 06, 2017 6:17 pm

And you laughed at me for avoiding carbs...

Who’s laughing now, scoop boy?

Sun October 08, 2017 2:46 am

This thread is factually accurate and entertaining to boot.

Mon October 23, 2017 2:47 pm

High fructose corn syrup or GTFO

Mon October 23, 2017 9:32 pm

sugar in our diet is a true epidemic that has become a silent killer.

Tue October 24, 2017 8:58 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:sugar in our diet is a true epidemic that has become a silent killer.

It's not totally silent. My coworker has diabetes and he bitches about it all the time.

Tue October 24, 2017 9:05 pm

MissYouAllDay wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:sugar in our diet is a true epidemic that has become a silent killer.

It's not totally silent. My coworker has diabetes and he bitches about it all the time.

:haha:

Sun February 04, 2018 3:34 am

i agree with this thread

<takes bite of donut>

Tue February 04, 2020 9:25 pm

So I finished that Whole30 elimination diet and I learned a lot about sugar. It truly is everywhere. The thought of artificial sweetener and added sugar makes me feel sick now.

I've been less careful reading labels since the diet ended and I've been burned by sugar twice. Once in a spoonful of peanut butter spread on apples, and once in some salmon jerky. In both cases, there wasn't much sugar, but I've been off of it for so long that it made what I was eating taste like candy.

Peanut butter isn't supposed to taste like candy outside of a Reese's Cup, and salmon sure as hell isn't supposed to taste like candy.

So, to repeat:

washing machine wrote:This thread is factually accurate...

Tue February 04, 2020 9:30 pm

You forget after a while, but it's really noticeable when you've been gone. I just spent a month in the US and everything is so goddamn sweet.

Tue February 04, 2020 9:31 pm

theplatypus wrote:You forget after a while, but it's really noticeable when you've been gone. I just spent a month in the US and everything is so goddamn sweet.

is this my compliment

Tue February 04, 2020 9:32 pm

Oh shit, I forgot about that

Mon February 24, 2020 10:33 pm

Made this sugar-free banana bread last night. Substituted the 1-For-1 brand of GF flour, so now it's both sugar free and gluten free. It's delicious, every bit as good as conventional banana bread.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/vor ... ent-dates/

Mon February 24, 2020 11:01 pm

this cookbook has a lot of great stuff in it

https://www.wholesomechild.com/en/

initial startup costs a little high (where can i find coconut sugar?) but there are so many ways now to make sweet tasting things that don’t require actual sugar

Fri January 22, 2021 5:30 pm

This thread and its title remain the most important f&d content you'll ever read on RM.

Endless thanks for bringing it to us, trag.

Fri January 22, 2021 5:32 pm

Sorry Reid but in the wake of fatherhood, it seems the glucose-industrial complex has gotten the best of me
Post a reply