Switch to full style
Mmmm...sacrilicious...
Post a reply

Re: TACOS

Thu August 24, 2017 1:23 pm

The "cole slaw on tacos" confusion earlier in this thread had me rolling.

Can't wait to beat wease and Orph in a breakfast taco cook-off.

Thu August 24, 2017 1:27 pm

He said "slaw", I googled "slaw" to see if it meant anything other than "coleslaw", saw that "slaw" is just short for "coleslaw" according to Google. Coleslaw on fish tacos sounds gross!

Thu August 24, 2017 1:38 pm

I agree that sounds gross. I'd probably have some on a pulled pork taco, though.

Thu August 24, 2017 2:02 pm

I want to share one of my deepest pleasures with all of you -- the taco truck across the street from my local ice house. There's just something about these tacos that I've never been able to replicate at home. Maybe it's the simplicity of meat, grease, onions and cilantro. Or the green and red sauce made fresh daily. Only place near me that I can easily get chewy, fatty chicharron...tripe-like in texture and so fucking good.

Tons of sentimental value at this truck for lots of people, no doubt. It was there at the ice house over tacos and beers that I asked my sweetheart's dad for her hand in marriage like the good southern boy that I am. A lot of people likely have similar stories. In fact, several years ago when the truck moved from the ice house side to the convenience store lot directly across, people nearly rioted. To this day any new truck that parks in the spot where Tierra Caliente used to be draws weak crowds of newbies for a few days before packing up and trying their luck elsewhere. Last year, the owner, Maria, lost her 22 year old daughter to cancer. Within days a GoFundMe was set up by a customer to raise $10k for burial coasts. They ended up raising $18k.

Tierra Caliente really is a special place in our community.

Spoiler: show

Thu August 24, 2017 2:27 pm

¡Viva La Raza!

Thu August 24, 2017 2:58 pm

dpupenya wrote:¡Viva La Raza!

Louis Perez, David Hidalgo, Tchad Blake, and Mitchell Froom agree:

Fri August 25, 2017 5:42 pm

theplatypus wrote:He said "slaw", I googled "slaw" to see if it meant anything other than "coleslaw", saw that "slaw" is just short for "coleslaw" according to Google. Coleslaw on fish tacos sounds gross!

The new colloquial meaning of slaw seems to be any cabbage based condiment that is generally placed cold on something fried/savory to provide an offsetting flavor and texture.

Fri August 25, 2017 5:45 pm

Orpheus wrote:
theplatypus wrote:He said "slaw", I googled "slaw" to see if it meant anything other than "coleslaw", saw that "slaw" is just short for "coleslaw" according to Google. Coleslaw on fish tacos sounds gross!

The new colloquial meaning of slaw seems to be any cabbage based condiment that is generally placed cold on something fried/savory to provide an offsetting flavor and texture.

Yeah, no way does slaw have to include mayo.

Fri August 25, 2017 9:43 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
Orpheus wrote:

Yeah, no way does slaw have to include mayo.

Goddamn right

Fri September 01, 2017 4:00 pm

dpupenya wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:fish tacos with a slaw topping

That sounds kind of disgusting

omg plat fish tacos are amazing!

If anyone finds themselves in downtown Rosarito Beach, Mex, do yourself a favor and search out the hole in the wall (literally about 6' wide) fish taco stand near the souvenir shopping maze. Hand dipped beer battered fish, made on demand served on in house corn tortilla fresh off the tortilla machine. slaw and salsa bar.....$1/ea

Family was there for Halloween last year....the two guys behind counter had wrestling masks on and Mexican wrestling clips were playing on TV

The joint was closed when we got into town last night but this is going down soon.

Fri August 11, 2023 1:47 pm

Fri August 11, 2023 1:58 pm

That’s genius

Fri August 11, 2023 2:43 pm

He shouldn’t need that with a soft shell though.

I usually tire of a hard shell cracking apart after two of them, then I just go taco salad spooge the rest of the way.

Fri August 11, 2023 4:55 pm

If the future is flour tortillas and not corn, I don't want to live in it.

Fri August 11, 2023 5:22 pm

the first time my kid had a taco (at his pre-school) they had them with flour tortillas, and so he thought that all mexican food tasted as bland as that garbage. he wouldn't eat mexican food forever.

Fri August 11, 2023 5:36 pm

Making taco salads for dinner on Saturday night actually.

Fri August 11, 2023 5:40 pm

i love tacos

big into fish and shrimp tacos these days

Fri August 11, 2023 6:05 pm

96583UP wrote:i love tacos

Fish tacos are the greatest

Fri August 11, 2023 6:32 pm

tommy wrote:

When done right. Probably the easiest taco to fuck up.

Fri August 11, 2023 7:36 pm

spike wrote:
tommy wrote:

When done right. Probably the easiest taco to fuck up.

You gotta pivot to slaw
Post a reply