The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Eat Meat: A Certified Food Label Thread
PostPosted: Fri August 04, 2017 7:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 16487
tragabigzanda wrote:
washing machine wrote:
This is troubling, indeed. I knew it already, or at least strongly suspected it, but hearing it out loud is a real shock to the system. Quite the omnivore's dilemma.

Why is this troubling? You can always go apple picking at an orchard if you want the fresh stuff. If you've been eating the year-old apples all your life and were none the wiser, why is it a problem now? If the quality has held up, and they were produced under good practices, then it shouldn't matter how old they are.

Everyone likes orange juice, but it's pretty tough to grow and orange outside of a few specific climates, you know?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Eat Meat: A Certified Food Label Thread
PostPosted: Fri August 04, 2017 7:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 5453
Location: Space City
tragabigzanda wrote:
washing machine wrote:
This is troubling, indeed. I knew it already, or at least strongly suspected it, but hearing it out loud is a real shock to the system. Quite the omnivore's dilemma.

Why is this troubling? You can always go apple picking at an orchard if you want the fresh stuff. If you've been eating the year-old apples all your life and were none the wiser, why is it a problem now? If the quality has held up, and they were produced under good practices, then it shouldn't matter how old they are.

I want to always taste apples from heaven if I can. Is that so much to ask?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Eat Meat: A Certified Food Label Thread
PostPosted: Fri August 04, 2017 8:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 5453
Location: Space City
tragabigzanda wrote:
Going back to the OP, here's another great label/set of guidelines for fish. The Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch list will tell you when to eat which fish, and where they should be sourced from. They update the list regularly, and as best as I can tell are doing a stellar job:

http://www.seafoodwatch.org/

This bottom page wasn't missed. Added to OP. Thanks kind sir.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Eat Meat: A Certified Food Label Thread
PostPosted: Fri August 04, 2017 8:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 16487
washing machine wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Going back to the OP, here's another great label/set of guidelines for fish. The Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch list will tell you when to eat which fish, and where they should be sourced from. They update the list regularly, and as best as I can tell are doing a stellar job:

http://www.seafoodwatch.org/

This bottom page wasn't missed. Added to OP. Thanks kind sir.

:thumbsup: Did you also see my Certified Humane post? I'm just firing 'em off while I scarf this fatoush wrap.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Eat Meat: A Certified Food Label Thread
PostPosted: Fri August 04, 2017 8:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 5453
Location: Space City
Yep. Added that too.

Speaking of fish, I love when I see bycatch on the menu. I worked with a fishmonger turned chef in the past who pretty much put several species of fish on the local restaurant map thanks to his preaching of the gospel of bycatch. Everything I google about bycatch comes with stern warnings about how unethical this is, but it seems like a great way to waste less when fishing and guarantee freshness for buyers.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Eat Meat: A Certified Food Label Thread
PostPosted: Fri August 04, 2017 8:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 16487
washing machine wrote:
Yep. Added that too.

Speaking of fish, I love when I see bycatch on the menu. I worked with a fishmonger turned chef in the past who pretty much put several species of fish on the local restaurant map thanks to his preaching of the gospel of bycatch. Everything I google about bycatch comes with stern warnings about how unethical this is, but it seems like a great way to waste less when fishing and guarantee freshness for buyers.

CSFs (Community Supported Fisheries) are even better. Like with a CSA, buy purchasing our share ahead of time, the fishermen are able to make an informed decision about what haul they'll keep on their boat. In fisheries that are managed by a quota system, fishermen are required to report their species and volume when they land; so if a fisherman hauls up 1000 lbs of ocean perch, which doesn't command the same market value as cod, they are likely to toss it back (many of them now dead or seriously stressed) in hopes of landing a more valuable catch. But if they have a bunch of CSF subscribers who have already agreed to pay for whatever fish may come in that week, then the fishermen will say "Welp, I'll keep this perch and give it to the CSF customers." It won't eat into their allotted quota, and they can head to port earlier than had they kept fishing.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Eat Meat: A Certified Food Label Thread
PostPosted: Fri August 04, 2017 8:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 5453
Location: Space City
Speaking of fish, you know why they're so healthy?

Spoiler: show
They eat fish.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Eat Meat: A Certified Food Label Thread
PostPosted: Fri August 04, 2017 8:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 5453
Location: Space City
Trag et al, here's a couple of profiles on bycatch and the chef I was talking about. Great dude.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/hookin ... n-bycatch/
https://houston.eater.com/2013/6/28/641 ... in-houston


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Eat Meat: A Certified Food Label Thread
PostPosted: Sun August 06, 2017 7:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 5453
Location: Space City
Saw these eggs at the grocery store and took them on a test run with breakfast tacos. Fluffy eggs, nice yolk, local. Yet...no certified humane label. Oh dearie.

http://www.kenzhenz.com/

Thanks, Ken.

Spoiler: show
Image
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Eat Meat: A Certified Food Label Thread
PostPosted: Sun August 06, 2017 7:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 16487
In Kenz defenz, it could be that he's already implementing similar practices but doesn't care to pay for the eco-label -- this is pretty common for small farmers who aren't upstreaming to larger distributors.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Eat Meat: A Certified Food Label Thread
PostPosted: Sun August 06, 2017 7:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 5453
Location: Space City
Well, that, and he's a Texan. We don't typically take too kindly to hippie regulations.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's Actually Eat Meat: A Certified Food Label Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 07, 2017 1:13 am 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 16487
Ha, yeah, my farmer friend in Italy is the same say. He thinks that having to buy an "Organic" label through some regulating authority amounts to collusion and robbery, so he actively avoids it out of a sense of independence.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sat September 23, 2017 12:38 pm