Switch to full style
Mmmm...sacrilicious...
Post a reply

Being Vegan

Mon July 31, 2017 10:17 pm

This is the direction I'm heading, even if I'm not there yet nor may I ever even get there. I was 95% vegetarian for the first eight months of 2016. Since then, I've been almost perfectly strictly vegetarian (there was one crab cake and three dishes with either turkey or chicken gravy in there). Now I'm deciding to get off dairy entirely, which I need to do. I react poorly to dairy, especially since my intake has been pretty limited over the last year and a half. It's not gastrointestinal, it's other stuff.
I don't anticipate being religious about it, because I'm not a very good person. I'm sure I'll be eating the occasional egg and eating the occasional cupcake with creamy frosting. But I'll feel guilty about it whenever I do it (hopefully not something that I will do often).
There are a lot of reasons to do it. It's really not that hard. It's a healthy diet. If I think about the morality of killing or using animals for food, I just can't find a way to justify that when I get right down to it.
I'm not sure what the point of this thread is going to be. I'm not going to post every time I eat a spinach leaf. Maybe you guys can just yell at me about protein and B12?

Re: Being Vegan

Mon July 31, 2017 10:28 pm

make sure you get enough calcium too

Mon July 31, 2017 10:31 pm

Vegans say that milk is actually a poor source of calcium because it's so acidic that it actually leaches calcium from your bones to bring it to your core, which is dealing with all that acid. Or something. That's why a lot of people get osteoporosis, even though we drink a lot of milk. Leafy greens may actually be a better source of calcium because our bodies can actually deal with it.

Mon July 31, 2017 10:35 pm

The Argonaut wrote:Vegans say that milk is actually a poor source of calcium because it's so acidic that it actually leaches calcium from your bones to bring it to your core, which is dealing with all that acid. Or something. That's why a lot of people get osteoporosis, even though we drink a lot of milk. Leafy greens may actually be a better source of calcium because our bodies can actually deal with it.

Ive never researched it but my dad has been drinking at least one glass of milk a day for most of his life and his doctors tell him he has the bone density of a 30 y/o. Broccoli is a good source of calcium too.

Mon July 31, 2017 10:37 pm

This may be a controversial opinion, but I consider broccoli to be a leafy green.

Mon July 31, 2017 10:40 pm

The Argonaut wrote:This may be a controversial opinion, but I consider broccoli to be a leafy green.

now you're just being difficult

Mon July 31, 2017 10:46 pm

why vegan instead of vegetarian now? Is all use of all animals bad? Not that there's anything wrong with that honestly, but i mean, humanity hasn't been any different than other species in eating other animal meat etc, what about riding horses? Or having pet dogs? That's use too, and we've bred them to suit our needs in the same way we've bred cows etc...

Just curious

Mon July 31, 2017 10:48 pm

mods?

Mon July 31, 2017 10:54 pm

Don't do it.

Mon July 31, 2017 10:56 pm

wat?

Mon July 31, 2017 11:14 pm

The wife and I would like to thank you for having us to your dinner party.
Last edited by The Argonaut on Tue June 18, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon July 31, 2017 11:38 pm

so... you don't already hate me for having two cats, right?

Mon July 31, 2017 11:40 pm

malice wrote:so... you don't already hate me for having two cats, right?

Cats are cool, man. Not really my thing, but people like them. There are probably too many domesticated cats out there killing wild birds, but I only know that because of Jonathan Franzen. Cats need to eat meat to live, so feed your cats some meat, malice.

Mon July 31, 2017 11:54 pm

The Argonaut wrote:
malice wrote:so... you don't already hate me for having two cats, right?

Cats are cool, man. Not really my thing, but people like them. There are probably too many domesticated cats out there killing wild birds, but I only know that because of Jonathan Franzen. Cats need to eat meat to live, so feed your cats some meat, malice.

I do, cats are hyper carnivores so have to eat meat. They mostly only eat tuna, which kurt cobain said was ok because fish don't have any feelings.
also, my cats are indoors only, but they kill mice when they can.

On a more serious note, i don't think any of what you wrote about is incorrect or overreacting, but i do love steak so
Also, as ive gotten older, i do have more... awareness? of what im eating and that the agricultural industry is fucked in the head for it's practices, but i was not raised with that level of awareness about how food gets on the table, what was cooked for us is what we ate, and we were supposed to be adequately thankful for it, so i guess it's a bit different for me at this stage of my life. I doubt I'd ever have the staying power to actively avoid any and all use of animal products.

Tue August 01, 2017 12:00 am

Animals are exploited for foods and textiles, black and brown humans are exploited for vegan-friendly foods like quinoa and tomatoes. The food industry is super fucked. Also it is wrong that "humans don't need meat"; or, more accurately, it's not correct in all cases. Some people would die on a vegan diet. Not me, though, I just like meat a lot.

Tue August 01, 2017 12:13 am

I think way more people are killed by their meat eating diets (heart disease, cancer, everything that kills us) than there are people who would die if they don't eat meat. A plant based diet with food from a variety of sources can provide more than enough protein and micronutrients to support anyone in any lifestyle. People whose doctors tell them that they'll die if they don't quit their vegan diets are most often people who are trying to live off of bread and pasta instead of bread, pasta, beans, nuts, seeds, veggies, and fruits.
And yeah, the food industry is super fucked in a lot of ways. But that isn't an excuse for me to not try to do my best as I can. It's a process. I know meat and dairy are morally unjustifiable and I'm cutting them. I've cut out palm oils since trag posted that article about how harmful they are and I looked into it. The better question is what should I do next. Not: well the other option is also not easy and perfect so fuck it.

Tue August 01, 2017 12:21 am

Tue August 01, 2017 12:22 am

That's fine, I'm just addressing this claim
The Argonaut wrote:The difference between humans eating meat and animals eating meat is that humans DON'T HAVE TO.

It's not correct for everybody. Not everybody is physically able to live on a vegan diet, or economically able to sustain it. That's not really up for debate

Tue August 01, 2017 12:27 am

you can dip anything in this

Tue August 01, 2017 12:30 am

You can eat Oreos
Post a reply