The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277 ... 286  Next
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Thu April 15, 2021 2:04 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Mickey wrote:
Bammer wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Bammer wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
It's been like this for years but I'm really tired of the IPA/dark beer ratio in every store I go to being 10/1. Nobody makes dark beers, or maybe they just don't put them out en masse. I've had enough juicy/hazy/milkshake IPAs for a lifetime.

I’ve been saying this for a couple of years actually.

And I’ve been saying it since a couple years before that

Yes we know you live in Philadelphia

Grocery stores don't sell beer in Philadelphia playa

I don’t see any beer in that picture. Just a lot of flavored water.

PostPosted: Thu April 15, 2021 4:24 pm 
mXn

Exactly

PostPosted: Thu April 15, 2021 4:26 pm 
mXn

Reminds me, coupled with Ruddo’s recent post about Applebees, ironically in a state known for liquor production, Kentucky is the only place outside of Utah that I can remember had weird alcohol sales restrictions. No canned beers, no alcohol sales on Sunday, restaurant/bar not allowed to pour a double, etc. (This is my loose recollection from 20 years ago, a dry county in KY ... people drove to Tennessee to get beer).

PostPosted: Thu April 15, 2021 4:35 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bammer wrote:
Reminds me, coupled with Ruddo’s recent post about Applebees, ironically in a state known for liquor production, Kentucky is the only place outside of Utah that I can remember had weird alcohol sales restrictions. No canned beers, no alcohol sales on Sunday, restaurant/bar not allowed to pour a double, etc. (This is my loose recollection from 20 years ago, a dry county in KY ... people drove to Tennessee to get beer).

Lol what world are you living in homie, these are called blue laws and I think like half of US states had them until very recently.

PostPosted: Thu April 15, 2021 4:50 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Can’t buy or be served alcohol in NC on Sundays until 10 am

PostPosted: Thu April 15, 2021 5:05 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

IIRC it's still noon on Sundays in Tampa, though they waive it occasionally for Bucs games

PostPosted: Thu April 15, 2021 5:05 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

The Utah thing is next level though, what with the Zion curtains and the club memberships

PostPosted: Thu April 15, 2021 10:05 pm 
mXn

Mickey wrote:
Bammer wrote:

Lol what world are you living in homie, these are called blue laws and I think like half of US states had them until very recently.

The Pacific Northwest

PostPosted: Thu April 15, 2021 10:44 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

From wiki: "Blue laws in the United States --> Washington State"

Quote:
Historically, off-premises Sunday sales of spirits were banned, and all liquor stores were closed. On November 8, 1966, Washington state voters adopted Initiative 229, repealing the so-called "Blue Law," which had been enacted in 1909. Consumers still had the option of purchasing beer or wine from grocery stores or on-premises spirits from bars and restaurants. In 2005, the state began allowing off-premises spirits sales in select stores on Sundays from noon to 5 p.m.

On the election of November 8, 2011, voters passed Initiative 1183, which brought several changes to the liquor distribution and retailing system. The most significant of these changes were the end to the state monopoly on liquor sales and distribution. On June 1, 2012, Washington completed its transition to private liquor sales. Under 1183, spirits may only be sold in premises of at least 10,000 sq ft, generally including grocery stores, warehouse clubs, department stores, and some larger specialty shops.

The sale of alcohol for both on and off-premises consumption is prohibited between the hours of 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. daily.[82]

PostPosted: Fri April 16, 2021 12:56 am 
Future Drummer

i think it was like that in parts of texas when i lived there? maybe even in austin, too? though i can't remember for sure.

PostPosted: Fri April 16, 2021 1:11 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i believe the 10 years we lived in nyc you couldn't buy beer until noon at the stores on sunday

PostPosted: Fri April 16, 2021 2:30 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Minnesota just started allowing Sunday sales a few years ago. Sunday is now limited hours.

PostPosted: Fri April 16, 2021 2:35 am 
mXn

Mickey wrote:

Quote:
Historically, off-premises Sunday sales of spirits were banned, and all liquor stores were closed. On November 8, 1966, Washington state voters adopted Initiative 229, repealing the so-called "Blue Law," which had been enacted in 1909. Consumers still had the option of purchasing beer or wine from grocery stores or on-premises spirits from bars and restaurants. In 2005, the state began allowing off-premises spirits sales in select stores on Sundays from noon to 5 p.m.

On the election of November 8, 2011, voters passed Initiative 1183, which brought several changes to the liquor distribution and retailing system. The most significant of these changes were the end to the state monopoly on liquor sales and distribution. On June 1, 2012, Washington completed its transition to private liquor sales. Under 1183, spirits may only be sold in premises of at least 10,000 sq ft, generally including grocery stores, warehouse clubs, department stores, and some larger specialty shops.

The sale of alcohol for both on and off-premises consumption is prohibited between the hours of 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. daily.[82]

tl; dr

I buy beer whenever I want to

PostPosted: Fri April 16, 2021 4:08 am 
Future Drummer

Malloy wrote:
i think it was like that in parts of texas when i lived there? maybe even in austin, too? though i can't remember for sure.

Texas is still no liquor stores on Sundays and some other things involving when they can start serving. We're probably going to make alcohol delivery even more of a thing cause it's been very successful for everybody during the pandemic.

PostPosted: Fri April 16, 2021 10:50 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I love Guinness. I know that's worth exactly zero beer hipster points, but it's delicious and I never really feel hungover after a night on it, which is worth a lot to me these days.

Last edited by Ello Sailor on Fri April 16, 2021 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri April 16, 2021 11:57 am 
Future Drummer

Ello Sailor wrote:
I Guinness. I know that's worth exactly zero beer hipster points, but it's delicious and I never really feel hungover after a night on it, which is worth a lot to me these days.

I used to joke that it was the isinglass (which is no longer used) but Guinness is actually relatively low in ABV and calories. Definitely had my fair share back in the day but it has probably been a decade since I had one last.

PostPosted: Fri April 16, 2021 2:44 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I Guinness. You Guinness. We all Guinness.

PostPosted: Fri April 16, 2021 2:52 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bammer wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Quote:

tl; dr

I buy beer whenever I want to

But you've only been doing so since the second Obama administration!

PostPosted: Fri April 16, 2021 2:53 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

When I lived in Mississippi everyone knew which gas station would let you stay in line after midnight as long as you were in the store. That was Friday and Saturday night. Alcohol sales stopped at 11 on weekdays

PostPosted: Fri April 16, 2021 3:21 pm 
Future Drummer

Ello Sailor wrote:
I love Guinness. I know that's worth exactly zero beer hipster points, but it's delicious and I never really feel hungover after a night on it, which is worth a lot to me these days.

Same here. I think it's the nitrogen and low abv. It's become a pretty standard session beer for me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276, 277 ... 286  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining