The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Black Panther (2018)
PostPosted: Fri February 23, 2018 11:13 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Yes some of the plotting was awkward

PostPosted: Fri February 23, 2018 11:20 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

What a weird film this is.
Not even gonna comment any further.

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 12:49 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

theplatypus wrote:
Yes some of the plotting was awkward

racist

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

NEVER STOP JAMMING!

dimejinky99 wrote:
What a weird film this is.
Not even gonna comment any further.

racist

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

NEVER STOP JAMMING!

swan wrote:
yeah, there was definitely some yadda-yadda-ing plot wise to keep things moving forward, but that's marvel movies for ya.

racist

NEVER STOP JAMMING!

bune wrote:
The part I couldn't handle was when the guy from Get Out was mad that BP couldn't being Smeagol back and then sided with Killmonger. Like, he's literally the reason BP couldn't bring Smeagol back but hey you go and do you.

racist

NEVER STOP JAMMING!

96583UP wrote:
i think the initial interest was teasing white folks who are high with self-satisfaction after seeing a movie

now just kind of making it up as i go

racist

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 12:50 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
A film - especially when it’s brand new - being called “important” is one of the biggest red flags ever

racist

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 12:50 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Rangi Guy wrote:
I honestly thought it'd be The Last Jedi that tore this place apart, not this....

racist

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 2:03 am 
The Master

swan wrote:
yeah, there was definitely some yadda-yadda-ing plot wise to keep things moving forward, but that's marvel movies for ya.

feck

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 8:01 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

When will Ta-Nehesi coates get his rightful share of Vibranium?

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 7:44 pm 
The Master

For a movie that is being lauded as a milestone of black empowerment, this movie preaches awfully hard in favor of the societal status quo. The guy who wants to liberate the oppressed peoples of the world...is the villain? He’s the one character with personality and charisma and hip-hop swagger and he practically seethes black righteousness...and he’s killed? And that’s good? The isolationist ruling class retains social dominance...and hurray? Strange...feels like a message that would be in a sociopolitical opiate instead of a work of “black power” art.

This trash was every bit as bad as it looked. Ugly cinematography with flat, cheap, unimaginative visuals, terrible writing full of embarrassing Marvel humor that routinely undercuts drama and assures the audience they shouldn’t take any of this too seriously, boring-to-bad performances from everyone except Andy Serkis and Michael B. Jordan, and grating, pervasive, overbearing score that drowns out reflection or atmosphere. This movie is utterly bereft of feeling or soul. It is black empowerment (and art) neutered into homogenized meaninglessness.

The slithering, uncontainable charisma of Andy Serkis just amplifies the constrasting dullness of his surroundings. That guy is incredible, even though they try to ruin it every chance they get by making him say cringe-inducing lines like “That was awesome!”

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 8:29 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
For a movie that is being lauded as a milestone of black empowerment, this movie preaches awfully hard in favor of the societal status quo. The guy who wants to liberate the oppressed peoples of the world...is the villain? He’s the one character with personality and charisma and hip-hop swagger and he practically seethes black righteousness...and he’s killed? And that’s good? The isolationist ruling class retains social dominance...and hurray? Strange...feels like a message that would be in a sociopolitical opiate instead of a work of “black power” art.

This trash was every bit as bad as it looked. Ugly cinematography with flat, cheap, unimaginative visuals, terrible writing full of embarrassing Marvel humor that routinely undercuts drama and assures the audience they shouldn’t take any of this too seriously, boring-to-bad performances from everyone except Andy Serkis and Michael B. Jordan, and grating, pervasive, overbearing score that drowns out reflection or atmosphere. This movie is utterly bereft of feeling or soul. It is black empowerment (and art) neutered into homogenized meaninglessness.

The slithering, uncontainable charisma of Andy Serkis just amplifies the constrasting dullness of his surroundings. That guy is incredible, even though they try to ruin it every chance they get by making him say cringe-inducing lines like “That was awesome!”

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 10:34 pm 
The worst

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

I disagree with your take on the characters, acting, cinematography, visuals (unimaginative..come on, LV), writing, etc, but this comment is interesting:

this movie that is being lauded as a milestone of black empowerment, this movie preaches awfully hard in favor of the societal status quo. The guy who wants to liberate the oppressed peoples of the world...is the villain? He’s the one character with personality and charisma and hip-hop swagger and he practically seethes black righteousness...and he’s killed? And that’s good? The isolationist ruling class retains social dominance...and hurray? Strange...feels like a message that would be in a sociopolitical opiate instead of a work of “black power” art.

If movies of this kind, with the sort of representation, were more common I wonder if this sort of critique would be more widespread, especially within the black community. To some extent the existence of the movie is itself a statement (and I don't think that significance should be understated), but is very much written from the standpoint of a liberal reconciliation rather than something truly more revolutionary (which is why all the reviews highlight how sympathetic Jordan is). But the film also knows that. It's a choice, and it is clearly put in front of the audience as a choice. It doesn't undercut Jordan's perspective to make its case. There's no straw men here.

But I wouldn't go so far as to call it an opiate. It is basically adapting the worldview of MLK as opposed to Malcom X (Letter from Birmingham Jail vs. The Ballot or the Bullet). It does preach black power and the responsibility of the black community to take care of itself, to save itself, to lead, and to show the way forward when the rest of the world can't see it. And the film is governed by a faith that that community has the tools to do so. And that is empowering, especially given how blackness is usually portrayed on screen. It just comes from a standpoint of hope, rather than rage, without deligitimating the rage.

And yes, it is fantasy, but a purpose of fantasy with social/political goals is to use other places, peoples, and setting to help transform our sense of what is possible. And so calling this an opiate is bold, but, I think, unfair and a bit misguided.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 10:43 pm 
The worst

By playing Killmonger (ugh) the way the movie does, too, it does maintain a bit of the danger and threat that he represents as a warning to the rest of the world. Here is an olive branch Work with us now, because if you don't, this is the alternative. Which is a very important part of that dynamic.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 10:51 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Yay representation and that’s great but to make it all about tribalism and infighting and then that one scene with the lads going ugga ugga pretty much monkey noises at Freeman’s character ???? Followed by a ‘we’re all vegetarians’ (aka we’re not savages/cannibals) joke to put the nail in the coffin? Isolated culture that won’t integrate and share its culture and technology. This is representation?? It’s also generalised and cherry picked from what, countless different African cultures to do so? Can’t see that being welcomed but whatever.
Really really bizarre. Almost totally different for marvel though so it has that going for it.
The rightful king and heir is a dick but gets killed. Cos he’s a dick. What’s the message. I can’t tell it’s beating me over the head so much. Oh the ouch.
But overhyped cos of yay representation when in fact it’s pretty forgettable and unengaging.

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 10:57 pm 
The worst

Quote:
Yay representation and that’s great but to make it all about tribalism and infighting and then that one scene with the lads going ugga ugga pretty much monkey noises at Freeman’s character ???? Followed by a ‘we’re all vegetarians’ (aka we’re not savages/cannibals) joke to put the nail in the coffin? Isolated culture that won’t integrate and share its culture and technology. This is representation?? It’s also generalised and cherry picked from what, countless different African cultures to do so? Can’t see that being welcomed but whatever.

It draws from a number of different cultures. That's a problem why? And the we're vegetarians line is a joke, and also a statement - that the fierceness of the people (making the white guy nervous) isn't itself a threat.

Quote:
The rightful king and heir is a dick but gets killed. Cos he’s a dick.

He's an heir, and I suppose he is rightful insofar as he wins that ritual combat. But that in itself is saying something because he is unfit - making a fairly subtle point about both the value and danger of traditions. It's a pretty smart movie making some fairly sophisticated points within the parameters of a large tent pole movie.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 10:59 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Jesus, white people are the living worst.

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 11:05 pm 
The worst

This thread is an amazing teaching tool.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat February 24, 2018 11:09 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
This thread is an amazing teaching tool.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 35  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment