The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Black Panther (2018)
PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 2:33 am 
Looks Like a Cat

durdencommatyler wrote:
This is getting completely stupid.

You sound like LV 45 minutes into Marvel’s “Black Panther”

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 2:34 am 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
This is getting completely stupid.

You sound like LV 45 minutes into Marvel’s “Black Panther”

45?!?!

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 2:38 am 
Looks Like a Cat

stip wrote:
it's a solid meme

Last edited by Bi_3 on Sun February 25, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 6:11 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
For a movie that is being lauded as a milestone of black empowerment, this movie preaches awfully hard in favor of the societal status quo. The guy who wants to liberate the oppressed peoples of the world...is the villain? He’s the one character with personality and charisma and hip-hop swagger and he practically seethes black righteousness...and he’s killed? And that’s good? The isolationist ruling class retains social dominance...and hurray? Strange...feels like a message that would be in a sociopolitical opiate instead of a work of “black power” art.

I feel like you are purposefully ignoring that the film synpathized with Killmonger to a great degree, that as soon as he took power he abandoned the idea of black liberation for the idea of Killmonger-domination, and that T'Challa ends the movie with a worldview that is closer to Killmonger's than it is to his father's. Def not the status quo

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 6:25 am 
The Master

The Argonaut wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
For a movie that is being lauded as a milestone of black empowerment, this movie preaches awfully hard in favor of the societal status quo. The guy who wants to liberate the oppressed peoples of the world...is the villain? He’s the one character with personality and charisma and hip-hop swagger and he practically seethes black righteousness...and he’s killed? And that’s good? The isolationist ruling class retains social dominance...and hurray? Strange...feels like a message that would be in a sociopolitical opiate instead of a work of “black power” art.

I feel like you are purposefully ignoring that the film synpathized with Killmonger to a great degree, that as soon as he took power he abandoned the idea of black liberation for the idea of Killmonger-domination, and that T'Challa ends the movie with a worldview that is closer to Killmonger's than it is to his father's. Def not the status quo

Yeah yeah, be moderate and move slowly, vote for Hillary not Bernie, blah blah.

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 6:56 am 

Not what I (or the movie) said

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 7:06 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Killmonger was a terrorist. Strangest thing about the movie is people defending him. However, whether it was him or other events, they did decide that they needed to do more for other people, instead of just blowing them up like Killmonger wanted.

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 7:11 am 
The Master

I think characterizing the one guy who has a revolutionary aim to liberate the oppressed peoples of the world as a vengeful villain is weird and problematic in and of itself.

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 7:17 am 

He is not the only. Lupita Nyongo had similar ideas, as did Killmonger's dad. But when Killmonger was king, he wasn't talking about helping people. He was talking about killing and taking over. He burned all the flowers. The future was meaningless to him

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 7:17 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Having a revolutionary aim to liberate the "oppressed" people of the world is a villainous trait itself, especially based on skin colour. We are not talking about slaves or people living under a dictatorship. However, helping the poor and needy by education and opportunity is the right way to do it.

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 7:19 am 
The Master

The Argonaut wrote:
He is not the only. Lupita Nyongo had similar ideas, as did Killmonger's dad. But when Killmonger was king, he wasn't talking about helping people. He was talking about killing and taking over. He burned all the flowers. The future was meaningless to him

That’s what I mean. Characterizing him like that was weird.

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 7:20 am 
The Master

Anders wrote:
Having a revolutionary aim to liberate the "oppressed" people of the world is a villainous trait itself, especially based on skin colour. We are not talking about slaves or people living under a dictatorship. However, helping the poor and needy by education and opportunity is the right way to do it.

Ehhhh I don’t know how much I buy this anymore. Probably because I don’t really value the societal status quo at this point. How is it a “villainous trait” to want to liberate oppressed people?

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 7:30 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Anders wrote:

Ehhhh I don’t know how much I buy this anymore. Probably because I don’t really value the societal status quo at this point. How is it a “villainous trait” to want to liberate oppressed people?

If he was making the case that North Korea is an awful dictatorship that have work camps and worse, and he wanted to liberate the North Korean people with a revolution, that would be well within reason. In this case we are talking about helping black people in the US and Europe. They are not oppressed. However, there are (in the US) social differences, based on historical discrimination. The American Dream is that everyone should be able to have an equal opportunity of success. You can only do that by equal rights, no discrimination, and a solid education system. Certainly not by bombs in New York and London.

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 7:32 am 
The Master

Frankly I think black people in the US are entitled to a little violence toward our institutions at this point.

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 7:33 am 
The Master

That said I fully support beheading like 75% of our governmental leadership so what do I know

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 7:33 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I can’t agree with that.

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 7:29 pm 

The technical aspects of the film were disappointing. The CGI, cinematography and all that were routinely blah. I don't think I've ever seen a movie showing the landscapes of Africa look that bad. That ship flying around looked on par with the CW's Legend's Of Tomorrow ship. Most of the film looked like a CW superhero show. Whether or not this is a good example of black empowerment is in the eyes of the beholder and I'll leave it there. A personal aside my wife loved that the woman were equal to the men as far as status and general ass kickery. I guess people like it when characters that look like them are portrayed positively. Who knew? I liked that Killmonger was defiant till the end. Could have used more Klaus (spelling?). The 'baby don't hurt me' scene got a genuine lol. Black Panther himself was kinda errrr vanilla. Mid Tier Marvel.

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 7:50 pm 
The worst

I'm genuinely surprised at some of the comments on the technical work in the movie, since that's been spoken of very positively in the reviews that I've read. But I just knows whats I likes, and don't have the vocabulary or knowledge to really unpack it. It looked good, but it wasn't like this was seeing Jurassic Park or Avatar or Matrix or Fellowship of the Ring where I felt like I was watching something groundbreaking in terms of the effects and visual design of the movies.

The costume work and world building I do think was first rate, and the more I think about the film the more sophisticated the larger stories and themes become, especially in light of some of the discussions that have happened here (such as the LV/Anders/Argonaut exchange on this page).

Apparently this beat avengers in its second week and is now the second highest grossing second week movie (US) of all time behind TFA,

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 8:05 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Black Pantha get his ass kicked a lot in this movie. He was more badass in Civil War.

PostPosted: Sun February 25, 2018 8:13 pm 

I didn't have any issues with the costume work just with the need to muddy up the film to hide the "seams" in the CGI. I find myself getting more and more "get off my lawn" with CGI over-reliance. It takes me out of movies.

Last edited by bada on Sun February 25, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 35  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment