The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: TV: The Orville (Fox)
PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 6:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 71970
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
wease wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Wait, is this show not just a long comedy bit?

Not at all. It’s very reminiscent of TNG. Yes, it has humor in it here and there, but it’s done well and not at the expense of story or character

Fascinating.

I guess I'll have to check it out. I really just assumed it was live-action Family Guy in space.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: The Orville (Fox)
PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 6:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 16800
Location: Where everybody knows your name
durdencommatyler wrote:
wease wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Wait, is this show not just a long comedy bit?

Not at all. It’s very reminiscent of TNG. Yes, it has humor in it here and there, but it’s done well and not at the expense of story or character

Fascinating.

I guess I'll have to check it out. I really just assumed it was live-action Family Guy in space.

Oh, fuck no. Nowhere near that.

_________________
”Maybe greed is all cocks at the end." - Jaime Lannister


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: The Orville (Fox)
PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 6:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 42202
Location: Garbage Dump
The humor is pretty low key. Honestly, TNG already had quite a bit of humor and this doesn’t feel that different.

_________________
tree_ wrote:
I think I'm doomed to be foreverly lost in the infinite


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: The Orville (Fox)
PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 6:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 71970
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
wease wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
wease wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Wait, is this show not just a long comedy bit?

Not at all. It’s very reminiscent of TNG. Yes, it has humor in it here and there, but it’s done well and not at the expense of story or character

Fascinating.

I guess I'll have to check it out. I really just assumed it was live-action Family Guy in space.

Oh, fuck no. Nowhere near that.

That's great to hear. I don't hate Seth but I also ADORE Star Trek (especially TNG) and I didn't want to see a long parody/take down of that.

But now I have to dive in.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: The Orville (Fox)
PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 6:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 71970
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
The humor is pretty low key. Honestly, TNG already had quite a bit of humor and this doesn’t feel that different.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: The Orville (Fox)
PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 7:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 6420
Location: A Dark Place
durdencommatyler wrote:
I really just assumed it was live-action Family Guy in space.

The commercials Fox runs for it don't do it justice.

They're clearly trying to grab the Family Guy audience, but the show is actually pretty smart and clever.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: The Orville (Fox)
PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 8:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 16800
Location: Where everybody knows your name
durdencommatyler wrote:
wease wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
wease wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Wait, is this show not just a long comedy bit?

Not at all. It’s very reminiscent of TNG. Yes, it has humor in it here and there, but it’s done well and not at the expense of story or character

Fascinating.

I guess I'll have to check it out. I really just assumed it was live-action Family Guy in space.

Oh, fuck no. Nowhere near that.

That's great to hear. I don't hate Seth but I also ADORE Star Trek (especially TNG) and I didn't want to see a long parody/take down of that.

But now I have to dive in.

Yes, you do. You can almost imagine this is taking place with TNG and this is just a show about a different ship and crew. There’s no parody in it at all. MacFarlane has been trying to do an actual ST show for years and kept getting shot down. So he changed a few things around and went to Fox.

_________________
”Maybe greed is all cocks at the end." - Jaime Lannister


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: The Orville (Fox)
PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 9:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 16785
It’s not as smart or as well acted as TNG, but it’s not as corny and, at times, takes tropes that TNG could only 80’s-TV present and does them a bit more justice.

Nice, for example, to see scenes that TNG would have had to tell us were stunning actually look beautiful. There’s a rediscovery of the absolute wonder that space travel would be, there, which actual Star Trek lost a while ago.

I think my favorite actual joke in the show reflects that wonder: two characters are flying a shuttle down onto a new world. Their faces (and the camera)(and the music) are all communicating their wonder at this new place.

“You know, places like this really make me realize...” one guy says, awe dripping from his voice. “I’m trash. My family is trash.”


Last edited by McParadigm on Tue January 22, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: The Orville (Fox)
PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 9:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 8580
Location: Oslo, Norway
With TOS, DS9, VOY, ENT and even stuff like B5, FS, SG1 and FF, having had great episodes and seasons, I am surprised people are talking so much about TNG. Was it that much more popular around here?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: The Orville (Fox)
PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 9:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 16785
Anders wrote:
With TOS, DS9, VOY, ENT and even stuff like B5, FS, SG1 and FF, having had great episodes and seasons, I am surprised people are talking so much about TNG. Was it that much more popular around here?

It’s not just the content, but the aesthetic, the pacing, the relationships, etc. The ship looks like a hotel in space, there’s a robot asking about being human all day long and a Worf and a bar....on and on. It leans TNG pretty hard.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: The Orville (Fox)
PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 9:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 8580
Location: Oslo, Norway
McParadigm wrote:
Anders wrote:
With TOS, DS9, VOY, ENT and even stuff like B5, FS, SG1 and FF, having had great episodes and seasons, I am surprised people are talking so much about TNG. Was it that much more popular around here?

It’s not just the content, but the aesthetic, the pacing, the relationships, etc. The ship looks like a hotel in space, there’s a robot asking about being human all day long and a Worf and a bar....on and on. It leans TNG pretty hard.

I aleays felt it had more of a TOS feel to the stories and ship. More modern in its presentation and crew of course.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: The Orville (Fox)
PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2019 6:55 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 42202
Location: Garbage Dump
I just watched “Home”. Goddammit.

_________________
tree_ wrote:
I think I'm doomed to be foreverly lost in the infinite


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: The Orville (Fox)
PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2019 7:18 am 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 9:11 pm
Posts: 8580
Location: Oslo, Norway
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I just watched “Home”. Goddammit.


Was it good?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: The Orville (Fox)
PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2019 7:21 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 42202
Location: Garbage Dump
Anders wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I just watched “Home”. Goddammit.


Was it good?

Very good. But I’m not happy about what happened.

_________________
tree_ wrote:
I think I'm doomed to be foreverly lost in the infinite


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: The Orville (Fox)
PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2019 1:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 16800
Location: Where everybody knows your name
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Anders wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I just watched “Home”. Goddammit.


Was it good?

Very good. But I’m not happy about what happened.

Yeah. Me neither.

_________________
”Maybe greed is all cocks at the end." - Jaime Lannister


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: The Orville (Fox)
PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2019 1:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 26208
durdencommatyler wrote:
Wait, is this show not just a long comedy bit?



The first season leans more towards the comedy but does Star Trek really well
The second season so far is far more Star Trek than it is comedy.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: The Orville (Fox)
PostPosted: Sun January 27, 2019 2:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 42202
Location: Garbage Dump
“Nothing Left on Earth Excepting Fishes” was my favorite episode so far. What a great show.

_________________
tree_ wrote:
I think I'm doomed to be foreverly lost in the infinite


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: The Orville (Fox)
PostPosted: Sun January 27, 2019 2:23 am 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:15 pm
Posts: 6475
The new chick on this show sucks so far.

Otherwise, I’m still loving this show.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: The Orville (Fox)
PostPosted: Sun January 27, 2019 2:30 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 42202
Location: Garbage Dump
I’m undecided on her so far. It’s always hard to replace a beloved core cast member (TNG did this same thing before course correcting...hmm).

_________________
tree_ wrote:
I think I'm doomed to be foreverly lost in the infinite


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: The Orville (Fox)
PostPosted: Sun January 27, 2019 3:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 16800
Location: Where everybody knows your name
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
“Nothing Left on Earth Excepting Fishes” was my favorite episode so far. What a great show.

I told you that you’d love it. It was Billy Joel songs wasn’t it?

_________________
”Maybe greed is all cocks at the end." - Jaime Lannister


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Fri May 24, 2019 11:20 am