Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: "Again, Dada, Again!": The Kids' A&E Thread

Mon May 08, 2017 8:32 pm

The craziest thing about kid shows is how you hate them at first but they slowly wear you down till you somehow finding yourself liking them. I was finally at the point a few years ago where I thought the Wiggles were incredibly talented after watching my 1000th episode. I started out hating tween shows like Austin and Ally and Liz and Maddie and by the finales I'm holding back tears. The constant repetition changes you. Its brainwashing really.

Mon May 08, 2017 9:04 pm

Not long ago, my brother-in-law pointed out to me how many Disney movies have the parents, recently dead or dying and the kids being orphaned etc. "Think about it, even Bambi." He didn't like the message that sent.
I told him I'd been watching Disney all my life and I'd never noticed. huh.

Mon May 08, 2017 9:28 pm

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ad/372270/

Mon May 08, 2017 10:28 pm

doone wrote:Not long ago, my brother-in-law pointed out to me how many Disney movies have the parents, recently dead or dying and the kids being orphaned etc. "Think about it, even Bambi." He didn't like the message that sent.

One time while watching Frozen, my daughter waved and said, "Bye bye!" to the montage when the parents died, and then turned to my wife and I and smiled. It was very creepy.

Wed May 10, 2017 12:31 pm

My daughter would cry hysterically when Anna would freeze at the end. She was maybe 18 months old. I've seen that movie nearly 100x. 3 girls. Ages - 7, 5 and 3.

The movie thing has gotten better now since my oldest can operate the hard drive that's plugged into the tv. They can set it up themselves and watch what they want.

But like you said, it's spring time, we try and limit the tv time as much as possible.

Thu May 11, 2017 2:51 am

Check that.

Brought this up to the wife, my daughter was under a year old.

Thu May 11, 2017 10:41 am

How many hours a day of screen time do your kids get? Weeknights it is after dinner until bed time - averaging about an hour. Weekends probably closer to 5-6 if we are home all day

Thu May 11, 2017 11:33 am

Honestly during the day my two younger ones I'm not sure. They are more into playing dolls or chasing the dogs. My 5 year old just starting riding her bike so they are outside a lot too. But they also only have pre school 4 hours a week, which just ended.

I would guess 1-2 hours of tv per day of actually sitting.

When I get home from work it's definitely less than an hour.

It's not just me when I say that life just doesn't stop ever right? Its Fucking insane if my wife and I make plans to do something ourselves. Not enough time in a day.

I went to the Cubs/Yanks marathon Sunday night and I think it ruined my month. Now a Ty Segall show Saturday and Sunday. :cry:

Thu May 11, 2017 10:34 pm

I'm thinking of showing my 10 year old Jaws at the end of the month at the local JAWSFest.

Fri May 12, 2017 4:03 pm

I am also considering showing that movie to my son, though not at anything as Jawsome as a Jawsfest.

I'm sorry, is this not the "we're dads and we make dad jokes" thread?

Fri May 12, 2017 4:16 pm

Holy fuck I am never having kids

Fri May 12, 2017 5:29 pm

Mon May 15, 2017 12:15 am

doone wrote:Not long ago, my brother-in-law pointed out to me how many Disney movies have the parents, recently dead or dying and the kids being orphaned etc. "Think about it, even Bambi." He didn't like the message that sent.

I've seen this brought up before. Apparently the thinking behind it is that kids have such limited life experience and in a lot of cases they would struggle to understand the drama or empathise with a lot of different types of fictional adversity. But get kids to imagine that their parents are gone - that shit sets up the feelings of vulnerability and dramatic stakes that every kid can understand. The rest of the story, through to triumph and catharsis can flow from that setup.

Sun May 21, 2017 1:02 am

Yo why is the doctor in this video of "Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed" Hitler?

Sun May 21, 2017 1:08 am

whoa

Sun May 21, 2017 2:47 am

sure gods all powerful but does he have lips?

LoathedVermin72 wrote:whoa

Sun May 21, 2017 2:49 am

Simple Torture wrote:Yo why is the doctor in this video of "Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed" Hitler?

Here's the video for context, I couldn't link on my phone:

Fri May 26, 2017 8:49 am

My girl's 18 months and goes absolutely nuts over Toy Story. I've had that playing in the background so many days, and I swear if I ever come across Randy Newman - I'm punching him straight in the cock!

Fri May 26, 2017 9:13 pm

We occasionally listen to Caspar Babypants in the car.

Otherwise known as Chris Ballew, former lead singer from Presidents of the USA.

We've seen him perform live a couple times also.

He is witty, the songs are very tolerable compared to, say, streaming a kids music station or something.

Sat May 27, 2017 8:55 am

I've lost count of all the times I've seen Sing, Moana, Frozen, Secret Life Of Pets, Trolls and countless others. But the quiet moments are worth it all.
Post a reply