Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

HBO: The Young Pope / The New Pope / #AllPopesMatter

Tue January 17, 2017 1:02 am

Usually, trailers for new HBO series strike me in one or two ways: they either hit me with, "Oh, I've gotta watch this," or it's: "Meh." The Young Pope is one of those rare shows that struck somewhere in between: I couldn't tell from the trailer whether I was actually interested or if I'd rather not waste my time. After watching the first episode, I'm still not entirely sure; my wife asked if I liked it, and I'm sure my face looked like the shrug emoji. It hit all the notes you'd expect from the first episode of a limited series--Intrigue! Going against the establishment! Four characters standing in a circle spouting exposition! Boobies! A dream sequence!--and it may have hit them a little too on-the-nose for me to be enthusiastically engaged. And with the built-in iconography and symbolism of the church, the series can get away with a lot of junk that would feel trite in other fiction.

There were scenes I really liked. When Pius opened the wrong door and there were just tourists standing there, there was a genuine look of fear/repulsion/anxiety on his face, which was a nice break in the facade that he keeps up around everyone else. I'm happy that all of the characters aren't cynical business-like cardinals--the fact that there are real, true, good believers in the bunch (like the Pope's confessor and the guy he was talking to in front of the Pieta, probably Sister Mary) makes things more interesting. I will definitely keep watching.

What other lapsed Catholics are into this? And, keep in mind, only the first episode has aired in the U.S.--if you're overseas and have seen the whole thing, please use spoiler tags ya filthy animals.
Last edited by Simple Torture on Mon November 04, 2019 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: HBO: The Young Pope (AKA "Hey, Guys, Remember Catholicis

Tue January 17, 2017 1:18 am

will the war on christianity ever end?

Tue January 17, 2017 4:18 am

Had no idea that you were a lapsed Catholic, ST.

Haven't watched this yet, but I'm more interested in this after hearing various reactions now that the first episode aired than I was when the trailers hit. From the sound of it, the series is going to explore varying degrees of faith and how that can contribute to one's overall character...a subject that is very interesting to me.

Tue January 17, 2017 4:33 am

Mecca wrote:will the war on christianity ever end?

Mecca

Tue January 17, 2017 5:31 am

Young Pope is my rap name.

"Young Pope fuckin' hoes like they alter boys"

Tue January 17, 2017 1:17 pm

washing machine wrote:Had no idea that you were a lapsed Catholic, ST.

It's a horrible term, I just used it for comedic effect. "Lapsed" implies that I could go back at any time, which isn't the case. By far the most rewarding thing about being raised religious is understanding the references to religion in books/movies/etc. In my college English classes (when I was a student), we'd have these long debates about references to religion in poems and stories (whether it was John Milton or something that was published last year), and now when I bring something like that up in my classes, my students pick their noses and look down silently. I wonder if that'll affect the reception of something like TYP among younger people, too.

Wed January 25, 2017 12:50 am

going to start watching this tonight

Wed January 25, 2017 2:14 am

The Sunday-Monday schedule is messing with me; I keep forgetting it's one twice a week.

Thu February 16, 2017 10:45 pm

I can't get into this.

Thu February 16, 2017 10:46 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:I can't get into this.

said many priests...

Thu February 16, 2017 11:06 pm

doug rr wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:I can't get into this.

said many priests...

Thu February 16, 2017 11:30 pm

I actually enjoyed it. Not sure it served any purpose tho. I kept hoping he'd be revealed as the antichrist come to tear down the "Church" but it looks more like he's gonna be a modern Saint.

Thu January 10, 2019 12:30 am

:::::air horn blasts::::::

Fri March 08, 2019 10:22 pm

By far the best TV show of the decade.

Fri May 17, 2019 7:28 pm

We've got some updates, fellow Pope Patrollers:

Sat May 18, 2019 1:04 am

i didn't notice this thread before.

i LOVED this show. it was weird, captivating, poignant, and ridiculously endearing. I can't wait to see what they do with season 2.

Wed August 28, 2019 5:10 pm

::::white smoke::::

Thu August 29, 2019 4:57 pm

Fri August 30, 2019 10:27 pm

Still the best TV show of the decade.

Re: HBO: The Young Pope / The New Pope / #AllPopesMatter

Mon November 04, 2019 12:29 am

Inject this into my fucking veins:

Post a reply