The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Home Theater Discussion
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:23 pm 
The Master

run2death wrote:
Do you guys have any tricks for making sub-1080p sources look better on an HDR screen?

I did the 0 sharpness trick and that made a decent improvement, but is there anything else?

Always, ALWAYS have sharpness at zero. For all inputs and resolutions. ALWAYS.

Obviously, make sure all the other crap like noise reduction and motion interpolation is turned off. And while contrast should be at 100 for HDR, I recommend taking the edge off a bit for SDR content (I keep mine at 96). Too much contrast can lead to clipping with SDR sources.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:49 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat, i have the 2017 next-model-down of the TCL unit LV recommended, 55", and we're super happy with it. 4J, HDR, not sure about the wide color spectrum thing LV mentioned. Only time we notice why it's a budget model is when the black levels get kind of pixelated during darkly-lit scenes in non-4k content. I'm assuming LV's model improves upon this, so it gets my vote.

Are you talking about streamed content? Sounds like you're referring to macroblocking, which is a form of compression artifacting, and it's very common when you're streaming stuff. Compression issues are the reason streaming still can't compete with physical discs in terms of picture quality. Not saying compression issues can't still occur with discs (they definitely do), but it's MUCH less of a problem.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:25 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
run2death wrote:
Do you guys have any tricks for making sub-1080p sources look better on an HDR screen?

I did the 0 sharpness trick and that made a decent improvement, but is there anything else?

Always, ALWAYS have sharpness at zero. For all inputs and resolutions. ALWAYS.

Obviously, make sure all the other crap like noise reduction and motion interpolation is turned off. And while contrast should be at 100 for HDR, I recommend taking the edge off a bit for SDR content (I keep mine at 96). Too much contrast can lead to clipping with SDR sources.

100 percent contrast leads to extremely washed out images on some sets. I think it varies from manufacturer and what is the "middle" settinf. A lot of games will have a basic contrast calibration setting.

Completely agree about sharpness, etc.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:54 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat, i have the 2017 next-model-down of the TCL unit LV recommended, 55", and we're super happy with it. 4J, HDR, not sure about the wide color spectrum thing LV mentioned. Only time we notice why it's a budget model is when the black levels get kind of pixelated during darkly-lit scenes in non-4k content. I'm assuming LV's model improves upon this, so it gets my vote.

Are you talking about streamed content? Sounds like you're referring to macroblocking, which is a form of compression artifacting, and it's very common when you're streaming stuff. Compression issues are the reason streaming still can't compete with physical discs in terms of picture quality. Not saying compression issues can't still occur with discs (they definitely do), but it's MUCH less of a problem.

yep, streaming. i should rent some blu-rays and see how they look i guess

PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 5:55 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

My girlfriend moved the bigger (58") 4K TV into the living room and the smaller (42") HD TV into the bedroom. She says it makes more sense for when we have company. But her and I mostly watch movies from bed...?

PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 6:06 pm 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
My girlfriend moved the bigger (58") 4K TV into the living room and the smaller (42") HD TV into the bedroom. She says it makes more sense for when we have company. But her and I mostly watch movies from bed...?

How often do you fall asleep watching said movies in bed?

PostPosted: Tue June 12, 2018 2:33 pm 
Future Drummer

I need some advice. You guys sound like you know some shit.

I have a home theater room in a newly purchased home, though it is small. It's about 15' x 11' and currently bare, with new carpet and small windows with large horizontal blinds. There's a 5-6" raised platform along the back wall for about a 9' width, with the other 3' for the door.

We are hoping for two rows of seating, 6 total. We think two couches with reclining end chairs that recline without going back. May even be room to access from both ends.

I could use a projector, but the current hookup isn't in the middle of the width of the room (?), and is to close to the wall, so some electrical work would be required. Plus, the room may not be deep enough for a a projector to make sense, as your eyes in the front row seat will be 9'-10' from the wall. Perhaps a large 84" 4K LED TV would be best?

There are pre-wired high rear speaker connections, with hookups in the wall below the screen. There is a little nook in the front left corner that could be used for a tall cabinet with in wall wiring to the screen, maybe?

I don't need to go crazy, but any ideas on possible setup and equipment?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue June 12, 2018 2:33 pm 
Future Drummer

:peace:

PostPosted: Tue June 12, 2018 3:03 pm 
The Master

Whatever you go with, i look forward to watching movies in your new room!

PostPosted: Sat June 30, 2018 6:05 pm 
Rank This Poster

I had no idea my TCL recorded and paused live TV. The number of features you get with this $400 TV is kinda insane.

PostPosted: Thu August 16, 2018 6:53 pm 
Rank This Poster

I don't think I could be happier with my TCLs.

PostPosted: Thu August 16, 2018 7:08 pm 
The Master

They are crazy good for a low-end set, for sure.

PostPosted: Thu August 16, 2018 7:13 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Last weekend I bought a new home theater amp. I didn't really need it, but it had some features I wanted. The sound is so much richer than the old amp which is a nice surprise

PostPosted: Thu August 16, 2018 7:14 pm 
The Master

Getting a proper surround system is maybe the main reason I wish I lived in a house instead of an apartment

PostPosted: Thu August 16, 2018 7:16 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Getting a proper surround system is maybe the main reason I wish I lived in a house instead of an apartment

Man, I need to make upgrading my sound situation a major priority. I'm fucking sick of terrible sound.

PostPosted: Thu August 16, 2018 7:20 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Man, I need to make upgrading my sound situation a major priority. I'm fucking sick of terrible sound.

What are you using? Just TV speakers? You can get pretty decent soundbars with a subwoofer rather affordably.

PostPosted: Thu August 16, 2018 7:21 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

What are you using? Just TV speakers? You can get pretty decent soundbars with a subwoofer rather affordably.

I know. And I need to pull the trigger. It's way past time.

PostPosted: Thu August 16, 2018 7:40 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

One of the biggest things I've noticed so far is having an amp with a dedicated phono input makes vinyl sound so much richer than passing the signal through a pre-amp, plus the Yamaha systems let you stream whatever you're playing - so now I can chuck on an album and have it playing in pretty much every room if I want

PostPosted: Thu August 16, 2018 7:44 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Rangi Guy wrote:
One of the biggest things I've noticed so far is having an amp with a dedicated phono input makes vinyl sound so much richer than passing the signal through a pre-amp, plus the Yamaha systems let you stream whatever you're playing - so now I can chuck on an album and have it playing in pretty much every room if I want

All of this is so far beyond me that I can't even explain it. I live in a small 740 sq/ft apartment. So hearing the system throughout isn't an issue. My vinyl setup is fine. It's my TV that I hate. And LV is right, it's because I don't have anything. Just the TV speakers, which I know sucks. But I just haven't had the chance to go out and figure out what will work with my old ass TV. I need to fix that, though.

PostPosted: Thu August 16, 2018 7:49 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

durdencommatyler wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:

All of this is so far beyond me that I can't even explain it. I live in a small 740 sq/ft apartment. So hearing the system throughout isn't an issue. My vinyl setup is fine. It's my TV that I hate. And LV is right, it's because I don't have anything. Just the TV speakers, which I know sucks. But I just haven't had the chance to go out and figure out what will work with my old ass TV. I need to fix that, though.

My turntable is in the upstairs (mezzanine level) lounge, so if you leave the room and go up or downstairs it gets all muffled. I'n the past I just got past this by turning the volume right up, but that was a n issue if my daughters were sleeping

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment