The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Alien: Covenant (2017)
PostPosted: Thu June 01, 2017 12:21 am 
jeeeesus relax already

what.

PostPosted: Fri June 02, 2017 12:52 am 
Gone

http://www.alien-covenant.com/news/davids-drawings-shaw-his-experiments-now-online

PostPosted: Fri June 02, 2017 1:40 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Those are sick.
Spoiler: show
I kinda love that Shaw is the one who gave birth to the alien eggs.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 7:40 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Uncomfortably bang on the nose review.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 7:55 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Aliens
Alien

Alien 3

Prometheus
Covenant

Resurrection

Covenant was fairly poor. Stupid crew, easy to read, uninteresting, no surprises.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 8:02 pm 
The Master

Anders wrote:
easy to read, uninteresting, no surprises.

This kind of stuff being said about Covenant makes zero sense to me. I get disliking it, but no surprises? Uninteresting? Seriously? It's like no other movie in the Alien universe. It's weird and nasty, and I never quite knew where it was going to go next.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 8:20 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Anders wrote:

This kind of stuff being said about Covenant makes zero sense to me. I get disliking it, but no surprises? Uninteresting? Seriously? It's like no other movie in the Alien universe. It's weird and nasty, and I never quite knew where it was going to go next.

It's a stew of Alien. Aliens and the shit one.

There is not one thing about this film that stands on its own as remarkable.

Apart from it being shit.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 8:40 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I like this review from IMDB:

So once again, after the debacle of Prometheus, Ridley Scott has proved himself simultaneously a master of visuals and yet utterly incompetent when it comes to creating a believable Alien story.
The single biggest problem I had with Prometheus was the collection of imbeciles and weirdos that made up the crew, and one might have hoped that Mr Scott would have realised that himself and made amends this time round. Errr.... no, sadly not. Once again we're treated to a crew of simpletons who make THE MOST pathetic and unbelievable decisions possible. Are we really supposed to believe that a crew would just ditch it's primary mission (that we're told had been over 10 years in the planning to ensure their destination was safe, etc) just because they happened to stumble on a new planet purely by chance? Just plain ludicrous. And that's just the start. A few more examples :
- Assuming we suspend our disbelief and accept the whole "let's risk all the colonists and everything we have planned for decades for to land on this new unknown planet instead" premise, why do these alleged scientists once again TOTALLY disregard the need for any protective clothing? So no breathing equipment, nothing at all to protect them from any alien pathogens. Good thinking!
- Faced with a choice of sending either an android, or pretty much the entire human crew with no protective gear, to investigate an alien world, who should go? Yeah that's right, send all the unprotected humans!
- Choice of landing right near the source of the unknown signal, or land several miles away and in a foot of water despite there being solid and flat ground a few feet away? Yep, it's wet feet and a huge hike all round folks!
- Little alien pods on this alien world puffing their alien spores into the air? Sure, just get your nose in there and have a good sniff. I'm sure it'll be fine!
- Crewmen get infected by said spores? Don't worry about any quarantine procedures, just carry them back to the ship while getting covered in their vomited-up blood.
- Alien organism just burst out of said infected crewman? Just open up the locked door and try to shoot it, but be careful you don't miss at point blank range and then slip up on the blood.... twice. (When that happened, people actually laughed in the cinema. I was half expecting a comedy sound effect the second time!)
- Tens of thousands of dead bodies, and an enormous dead city solely inhabited by David the android from the Prometheus mission, that the planetary scan managed to NOT pick up from orbit when determining the planet to be "safe"? No need to ask David what happened, just accept that it's all fine.
- Dark basements to go into all on your own? Do it! Nothing bad will happen.
- Huge alien eggs opening in front of you? Just have a good look inside. What could possibly go wrong?!
The list of stupid decisions just goes on and on AND ON!
While visually the film is generally excellent, the all-CGI-Alien was a huge let-down. Personally I found it considerably less convincing than the practical effects used in Alien and Aliens, which is unforgivable considering the creature is what these films are all about!
Additionally the crew, apart from being imbeciles (as is usual under Mr Scott's direction these days), are also completely forgettable. I saw this movie last night and I can't remember a single character's name today. The one exception is David/Walter, and once again Fassbender does a great job. (Perhaps that's why there's two of them - to make up for a lack of any other decent characters).
The other problem narrative-wise is that both Prometheus and Covenant have actually served to make the Alien universe much SMALLER in my opinion. In the original Alien and Aliens, the creature was just an unknown organism from the far reaches of the universe, and all the more scary because of it. (The same went for the Space Jockey for that matter). But these new movies have tried to tie it all back to humanity in some way - i.e. the Engineers (who are also the Space Jockeys) created both humanity and the black oil virus, and then the Xenomorph was apparently created by David (who was in turn created by man) somehow doing some genetic tinkering with the black oil and human DNA, while living in a cave and playing with his flute. Far from expanding the Alien universe, both these prequels have actually shrunk it by making man the centre of everything, while at the same time managing to sanitise and neuter one of the greatest movie creatures of all time. So what Ridley Scott is saying is that the entire Alien series and the iconic Xenomorph itself was just created by a deranged android with God/daddy issues. How very pathetic and disappointing. I personally hate it when movies try to explain everything to the millionth degree because it invariably ends up as a massive anticlimax. What was wrong with the Xenomorph just being some hideous unknown life-form from the far reaches of space???
I could go on and on, but there's a word limit here.
Lastly, the end is just pretty feeble and anticlimactic. The CG- Alien just kind of gets killed and that's it. And the *ahem* "twist" with David/Walter could be seen from a mile away, although David wouldn't have had anywhere near enough time to cut his own arm off and change his clothes and hairstyle.
Please PLEASE Mr Scott, stand aside and let Neill Blomkamp have his shot at an Aliens sequel.
A generous 2 Stars. One for the visuals that are once again gorgeous, and one for a great effort from Fassbender.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 8:43 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

dimejinky99 wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Anders wrote:

It's a stew of Alien. Aliens and the shit one.

There is not one thing about this film that stands on its own as remarkable.

Apart from it being shit.

Alien was groundbreaking, had a tight plot and made beautifully. Aliens (alongside T2), was the perfect sequel. It made everything more fun and action based, while not dumbing down the universe.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 8:46 pm 
The Master

The second we start fixating on a movie's "believability," I'm out.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 8:48 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
The second we start fixating on a movie's "believability," I'm out.

Even if you disregard that, it was low on action and fun scenes, while at the same time being dumb. A bad combination.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 8:50 pm 
The Master

ok

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 8:59 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Anders wrote:
I like this review from IMDB:

So once again, after the debacle of Prometheus, Ridley Scott has proved himself simultaneously a master of visuals and yet utterly incompetent when it comes to creating a believable Alien story.
The single biggest problem I had with Prometheus was the collection of imbeciles and weirdos that made up the crew, and one might have hoped that Mr Scott would have realised that himself and made amends this time round. Errr.... no, sadly not. Once again we're treated to a crew of simpletons who make THE MOST pathetic and unbelievable decisions possible. Are we really supposed to believe that a crew would just ditch it's primary mission (that we're told had been over 10 years in the planning to ensure their destination was safe, etc) just because they happened to stumble on a new planet purely by chance? Just plain ludicrous. And that's just the start. A few more examples :
- Assuming we suspend our disbelief and accept the whole "let's risk all the colonists and everything we have planned for decades for to land on this new unknown planet instead" premise, why do these alleged scientists once again TOTALLY disregard the need for any protective clothing? So no breathing equipment, nothing at all to protect them from any alien pathogens. Good thinking!
- Faced with a choice of sending either an android, or pretty much the entire human crew with no protective gear, to investigate an alien world, who should go? Yeah that's right, send all the unprotected humans!
- Choice of landing right near the source of the unknown signal, or land several miles away and in a foot of water despite there being solid and flat ground a few feet away? Yep, it's wet feet and a huge hike all round folks!
- Little alien pods on this alien world puffing their alien spores into the air? Sure, just get your nose in there and have a good sniff. I'm sure it'll be fine!
- Crewmen get infected by said spores? Don't worry about any quarantine procedures, just carry them back to the ship while getting covered in their vomited-up blood.
- Alien organism just burst out of said infected crewman? Just open up the locked door and try to shoot it, but be careful you don't miss at point blank range and then slip up on the blood.... twice. (When that happened, people actually laughed in the cinema. I was half expecting a comedy sound effect the second time!)
- Tens of thousands of dead bodies, and an enormous dead city solely inhabited by David the android from the Prometheus mission, that the planetary scan managed to NOT pick up from orbit when determining the planet to be "safe"? No need to ask David what happened, just accept that it's all fine.
- Dark basements to go into all on your own? Do it! Nothing bad will happen.
- Huge alien eggs opening in front of you? Just have a good look inside. What could possibly go wrong?!
The list of stupid decisions just goes on and on AND ON!
While visually the film is generally excellent, the all-CGI-Alien was a huge let-down. Personally I found it considerably less convincing than the practical effects used in Alien and Aliens, which is unforgivable considering the creature is what these films are all about!
Additionally the crew, apart from being imbeciles (as is usual under Mr Scott's direction these days), are also completely forgettable. I saw this movie last night and I can't remember a single character's name today. The one exception is David/Walter, and once again Fassbender does a great job. (Perhaps that's why there's two of them - to make up for a lack of any other decent characters).
The other problem narrative-wise is that both Prometheus and Covenant have actually served to make the Alien universe much SMALLER in my opinion. In the original Alien and Aliens, the creature was just an unknown organism from the far reaches of the universe, and all the more scary because of it. (The same went for the Space Jockey for that matter). But these new movies have tried to tie it all back to humanity in some way - i.e. the Engineers (who are also the Space Jockeys) created both humanity and the black oil virus, and then the Xenomorph was apparently created by David (who was in turn created by man) somehow doing some genetic tinkering with the black oil and human DNA, while living in a cave and playing with his flute. Far from expanding the Alien universe, both these prequels have actually shrunk it by making man the centre of everything, while at the same time managing to sanitise and neuter one of the greatest movie creatures of all time. So what Ridley Scott is saying is that the entire Alien series and the iconic Xenomorph itself was just created by a deranged android with God/daddy issues. How very pathetic and disappointing. I personally hate it when movies try to explain everything to the millionth degree because it invariably ends up as a massive anticlimax. What was wrong with the Xenomorph just being some hideous unknown life-form from the far reaches of space???
I could go on and on, but there's a word limit here.
Lastly, the end is just pretty feeble and anticlimactic. The CG- Alien just kind of gets killed and that's it. And the *ahem* "twist" with David/Walter could be seen from a mile away, although David wouldn't have had anywhere near enough time to cut his own arm off and change his clothes and hairstyle.
Please PLEASE Mr Scott, stand aside and let Neill Blomkamp have his shot at an Aliens sequel.
A generous 2 Stars. One for the visuals that are once again gorgeous, and one for a great effort from Fassbender.

Yeah I can't tolerate that kind of lazy shit.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 9:00 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

People keep assuming the alien queen comes next, but does Scott even care about it? It's not his invention. I could see him ignoring Aliens entirely.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 9:03 pm 
The Master

Frankly, I don't think Scott cares about the xenos in general at this point. That's not what these movies are about anymore.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 9:05 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

They plan on making Covenant the first in a new prequel-trilogy.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 9:15 pm 

I'm over it. It's as dead as terminator at this point.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 9:16 pm 
The Master

BurtReynolds wrote:
I'm over it. It's as dead as terminator at this point.

You watched Genisys like five times

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 9:17 pm 

Yeah but Genisys was hilarious.

PostPosted: Sat June 03, 2017 9:18 pm 

Genisys sequels would only water down it's greatness. No more.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment