Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: Black Mirror on Channel 4

Mon November 07, 2016 11:17 pm

B wrote:Man, binge watching this show is not good.

Agree completely.

Thu November 10, 2016 12:14 pm

Watching the new episodes now:

"nosedive": good concept, but I feel like they failed to bring it beyond just a criticism of social media into a broader attack on social signalling in society (which may well be the worst, most destructive part of human culture). *I didn't know this was written by Rashida Jones.

"playtest": Good, despite the awkward narration of events by Cooper while he's in the house.
Spoiler: show
I fell like the death was a way to give it a happier ending versus having him end up with Alzheimer's like symptoms, which is a bit of a cop-out for this show given the power of the endings of previous episodes like "15 Million Merits"

Sun November 13, 2016 5:40 am

Play Test was great, except for the ending, which sucked.

Sun November 13, 2016 12:07 pm

"shut and dance" - Best of the new episodes so far, and possibly the scariest episode of the series given that things like this have happened already.

Mon November 14, 2016 9:36 pm

The last two are pretty awesome.

Tue November 15, 2016 2:20 am

"san junipero" - A+. everything good about TV. Ending was perfect. More cliches.

loved this one

Tue November 15, 2016 2:43 am

Bi_3 wrote:"san junipero" - A+. everything good about TV. Ending was perfect. More cliches.

loved this one

It's one of the most effective twists the show has given us. I wasn't really on board with the episode until the backstory was revealed. But yes, supremely excellent TV, that one.

Tue November 15, 2016 11:59 am

tragabigzanda wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:"san junipero" - A+. everything good about TV. Ending was perfect. More cliches.

loved this one

It's one of the most effective twists the show has given us. I wasn't really on board with the episode until the backstory was revealed. But yes, supremely excellent TV, that one.

The wife and I chatted about this one for a while, and I think

for a show that wears inducing viewer misery like a badge of honor, to have a real, honest to goodness love story appear out of nowhere was the real twist. If you weren't simultaneously shedding tears and fist-pumping during the credits, you have no soul.

Tue November 15, 2016 3:06 pm

I've caught that song from episode 1:2 popping up in several places. Is it in every episode?

Tue November 15, 2016 3:14 pm

I ranked these, but it's hard. Other than Nosedive and San Junipero, I loved them all. And even those two were pretty good. Fuck it, despite the list that follows, I declare these episodes unrankable.

1:3 The Entire History of You
2:2 White Bear
3:2 Playtest
2:4 White Christmas
1:2 Fifteen Million Merits
3:3 Shut Up and Dance
3:5 Men Against Fire
1:1 The National Anthem
2:1 Be Right Back
3:6 Hated in the Nation
2:3 The Waldo Moment
3:1 Nosedive
3:4 San Junipero

Tue November 15, 2016 4:05 pm

San Junpiero is easily the best episode in a very disappointing season. The last two episodes in particular were so fucking dull and bad and not good.

Tue November 15, 2016 7:10 pm

well, then I guess it's time to argue!

Tue November 15, 2016 7:25 pm

B wrote:well, then I guess it's time to argue!

Your ranking of San Junpiero at the bottom has already invalidated your opinion.

Tue November 15, 2016 8:37 pm

That's the one with the two girls moving through the decades, right?

I'm allowed to not like that one.

Fri November 25, 2016 5:15 am

0 for 3 so far.

the first one started out ok, but didn't really go far enough.

The second was just silly and the guy was really annoying.

Skipped through the third one. What if someone hacked your camera and made you do stuff? zzzz.

Fri November 25, 2016 8:36 am

I'm up to San Junipero - first episode was AWFUL, 2 and 3 were OK, San Junipero was wonderful, so a pretty mediocre season so far.

Fri November 25, 2016 10:04 am

BurtReynolds wrote:0 for 3 so far.

the first one started out ok, but didn't really go far enough.

The second was just silly and the guy was really annoying.

Skipped through the third one. What if someone hacked your camera and made you do stuff? zzzz.

Fri November 25, 2016 3:18 pm

ABNorman wrote:I'm up to San Junipero - first episode was AWFUL, 2 and 3 were OK, San Junipero was wonderful, so a pretty mediocre season so far.

It was the weakest season by far, but I also feel like sometimes Black Mirror doesn't know where to go with the premises. It builds up this nightmarish scenario and then it just sits there. Episode 5 of this season is a great example of this. Interesting premise (if heavy-handed), then plateaus early and resolves in the lamest way. Episode 1 of season 2, same thing.

I think watching season 3 and seeing all of its weaknesses laid out so clearly (obvious and heavy-handed social commentary, mostly staid and ordinary visuals, narrative limpness, weak resolutions) has made me think less of the 2 previous seasons.

Fri November 25, 2016 3:24 pm

Jorg, because you don't have Thanksgiving I'll bet you're just itching to tell someone what you're thankful for. What are you thankful for, Jorg? Also have you ever had real cranberry sauce?

Fri November 25, 2016 3:27 pm

I did have Thanksgiving. I spent it with my girlfriend and a bunch of other Americans. Also yes I have.
Post a reply