Switch to full style
Books, movies, television...
Post a reply

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017)

Fri May 26, 2017 12:12 am

This was a children's movie, and a soulless one.

Fri May 26, 2017 4:16 am

BurtReynolds wrote:This was a children's movie, and a soulless one.

It had plenty of soul. It was essentially the episode of Fresh Prince where Will's dad comes back like he was making up for lost time, but turns out to be a liar and selfish, but Will realizes that Uncle Phil has been a father to him this whole time shortly before uncle phil sacrifices himself for will as an act of contrition

Fri May 26, 2017 11:40 am

That episode of Fresh Prince would have been way better.

Fri May 26, 2017 12:24 pm

BurtReynolds wrote:This was a children's movie, and a soulless one.

E.H. Ruddock wrote:That episode of Fresh Prince would have been way better.

Spoiler: show

Fri May 26, 2017 1:37 pm

I can't stress enough though how much I enjoy the Rocket character in this one. Bradley Cooper is great as his voice, too.

Fri May 26, 2017 1:38 pm

Uncle Phil was badass.

Fri May 26, 2017 3:29 pm

I totally forget that it's Bradley Cooper as his voice. I can't say that I've seen that many Cooper vehicles but he's usually softer spoken, right?

Sat May 27, 2017 3:57 am

i think Chris Pratt has more natural charisma (in the sense that he's more likable/a relatable goof), but it kinda amuses me that they had a Bradley Cooper character in Star Lord, but chose to make him a CGI character

Sat May 27, 2017 8:28 am

My kids have seen the first one, how does this one compare in terms of violence/sex? Spoiler free would be preferred :)

Sat May 27, 2017 12:31 pm

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:My kids have seen the first one, how does this one compare in terms of violence/sex? Spoiler free would be preferred :)

Violence- about the same
Sex- pretty non-existent. There are a couple of lines that reference it, but it's not just out and out said.

If they watched the first one, this one's fine. The language seemed to be a little more potty mouthed in this one, but everything else is ok.

Sat May 27, 2017 12:59 pm

Yeah as a parent all you really have to worry about is some language with the MCU movies and with my 6 year old telling me one of his friends was telling everyone to fuck off the other day they hear worse at school.

Sat May 27, 2017 1:01 pm

I don't see how it's possible to dislike this movie. Not love it, fine, but dislike it?

Sat May 27, 2017 1:14 pm

stip wrote:I don't see how it's possible to dislike this movie. Not love it, fine, but dislike it?

I don't understand how it's possible for someone not to understand how someone could dislike something

Sat May 27, 2017 1:16 pm

bada wrote:Yeah as a parent all you really have to worry about is some language with the MCU movies and with my 6 year old telling me one of his friends was telling everyone to fuck off the other day they hear worse at school.

Yep

Sat May 27, 2017 1:17 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
stip wrote:I don't see how it's possible to dislike this movie. Not love it, fine, but dislike it?

I don't understand how it's possible for someone not to understand how someone could dislike something

the world is full of mysteries

Sat May 27, 2017 6:44 pm

It's funny how the characters are so invincible that for the obligatory (and unearned) sacrifice at the end, they have to come up with the most absurd and arbitrary way to kill him.

They make such a big deal out of the soundtrack, desperately trying to make it seem so trendy and cool, when its generic bullshit you could hear on any classic rock radio station for the past 35 years. And they even weave it into the plot? bleh.

bad guy says something really pompous and important.
*record scratch
deflating quip
hilarity?
repeat a million times

Everything is so jokey that it's impossible to take anything seriously or feel like there is any tension. Serious bits are constantly undermined by tired and predictable quips. Even if they weren't, the attempts at emotional manipulation are so obvious and formulaic, they wouldn't work anyway.

"If you kill me, you'll be just like everyone else!"
"what's wrong with that?"
barf.

The comedy really is on a child's level. If you saw it with kids, I could see why you thought it was great. 'm sure they enjoyed it.

It's still somehow better than the first, which is awful.

This is the Disney formula at it's most cynical. Kill it with fire.

Sat May 27, 2017 6:55 pm

Batista was great though. I hope he does more stuff.
Last edited by BurtReynolds on Sat May 27, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 27, 2017 6:57 pm

so this sucks or?

Sat May 27, 2017 6:59 pm

Strat wrote:so this sucks or?

Box office grosses are never wrong.

Sat May 27, 2017 8:07 pm

BurtReynolds wrote:It's funny how the characters are so invincible that for the obligatory (and unearned) sacrifice at the end, they have to come up with the most absurd and arbitrary way to kill him.

They make such a big deal out of the soundtrack, desperately trying to make it seem so trendy and cool, when its generic bullshit you could hear on any classic rock radio station for the past 35 years. And they even weave it into the plot? bleh.

bad guy says something really pompous and important.
*record scratch
deflating quip
hilarity?
repeat a million times

Everything is so jokey that it's impossible to take anything seriously or feel like there is any tension. Serious bits are constantly undermined by tired and predictable quips. Even if they weren't, the attempts at emotional manipulation are so obvious and formulaic, they wouldn't work anyway.

"If you kill me, you'll be just like everyone else!"
"what's wrong with that?"
barf.

The comedy really is on a child's level. If you saw it with kids, I could see why you thought it was great. 'm sure they enjoyed it.

It's still somehow better than the first, which is awful.

This is the Disney formula at it's most cynical. Kill it with fire.

Jesus fuck this sounds unbearable
Post a reply