The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017)
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Gym Leader
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 7:17 pm
Posts: 11171
BurtReynolds wrote:
Mecca wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
There was some other joke they stole off my Facebook feed five years ago, but I can't remember what it was.

they stole the idea of tracking a title sequence with Mr Blue Sky from a conversation a friend and i had about 5 years ago as well

Have you contacted a lawyer yet?

my friend is lawyer who specializes in intellectual property!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017)
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 12116
Location: Cumberland, RI
My wife cried at the end.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017)
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 28526
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
Mecca wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Mecca wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
There was some other joke they stole off my Facebook feed five years ago, but I can't remember what it was.

they stole the idea of tracking a title sequence with Mr Blue Sky from a conversation a friend and i had about 5 years ago as well

Have you contacted a lawyer yet?

my friend is lawyer who specializes in intellectual property!

This could bankrupt Disney!

_________________
Gravity is pseudo science. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJOZp2ZftCw


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017)
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 36694
Simple Torture wrote:
My wife cried at the end.

your wife is the worst

_________________
Dev wrote:
just cuz im clinically depressed doesn't mean im not a total gangster.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017)
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Gym Leader
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 7:17 pm
Posts: 11171
BurtReynolds wrote:
Mecca wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Mecca wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
There was some other joke they stole off my Facebook feed five years ago, but I can't remember what it was.

they stole the idea of tracking a title sequence with Mr Blue Sky from a conversation a friend and i had about 5 years ago as well

Have you contacted a lawyer yet?

my friend is lawyer who specializes in intellectual property!

This could bankrupt Disney!

that or they have us killed


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017)
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 12116
Location: Cumberland, RI
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
My wife cried at the end.

your wife is the worst


I won't argue; she cries at weird shit when she's pregnant.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017)
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 7:12 am
Posts: 1251
Location: The Jungle
Simple Torture wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
My wife cried at the end.

your wife is the worst


I won't argue; she cries at weird shit when she's pregnant.



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017)
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 12116
Location: Cumberland, RI
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
My wife cried at the end.

your wife is the worst


I won't argue; she cries at weird shit when she's pregnant.



Basically. She also gets that pregnancy rage; you should see when people cut us off in the grocery store.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017)
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 8442
Location: Alive in the Superunknown
Heh. Rochelle, Rochelle, The Musical


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017)
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:13 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 36694
Simple Torture wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
My wife cried at the end.

your wife is the worst


I won't argue; she cries at weird shit when she's pregnant.

which catch-22 character would you most compare her to?

_________________
Dev wrote:
just cuz im clinically depressed doesn't mean im not a total gangster.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017)
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:29 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 7:12 am
Posts: 1251
Location: The Jungle
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
My wife cried at the end.

your wife is the worst


I won't argue; she cries at weird shit when she's pregnant.

which catch-22 character would you most compare her to?


The B-25 from the museum here was one of the lead planes in that movie, theyre slowly restoring it to its Catch-22 glory. I gotta watch that again one of these days.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017)
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:43 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 36694
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
My wife cried at the end.

your wife is the worst


I won't argue; she cries at weird shit when she's pregnant.

which catch-22 character would you most compare her to?


The B-25 from the museum here was one of the lead planes in that movie, theyre slowly restoring it to its Catch-22 glory. I gotta watch that again one of these days.

read the book, madman!!

_________________
Dev wrote:
just cuz im clinically depressed doesn't mean im not a total gangster.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017)
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 2770
Location: Washington State
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
It's funny how the characters are so invincible that for the obligatory (and unearned) sacrifice at the end, they have to come up with the most absurd and arbitrary way to kill him.

They make such a big deal out of the soundtrack, desperately trying to make it seem so trendy and cool, when its generic bullshit you could hear on any classic rock radio station for the past 35 years. And they even weave it into the plot? bleh.

bad guy says something really pompous and important.
*record scratch
deflating quip
hilarity?
repeat a million times

Everything is so jokey that it's impossible to take anything seriously or feel like there is any tension. Serious bits are constantly undermined by tired and predictable quips. Even if they weren't, the attempts at emotional manipulation are so obvious and formulaic, they wouldn't work anyway.

"If you kill me, you'll be just like everyone else!"
"what's wrong with that?"
barf.

The comedy really is on a child's level. If you saw it with kids, I could see why you thought it was great. 'm sure they enjoyed it.

It's still somehow better than the first, which is awful.


This is the Disney formula at it's most cynical. Kill it with fire.


I totally agree with this. So many people were so in love with Spider-man in Civil War, but he totally ruined it for me, he broke up this big dramatic fight between heroes with lame quips. And that's what Marvel movies have really relied on. Dr Strange making jokes? Iron Man cracking jokes, EVERYBODYS suddenly a comedian. And another annoying Disney feature is pushing something that can be marketed to kids (baby Groot, or droids in the Star Wars movies). I just watched Logan with the commentary on, and Mangold said that was one of the best parts about making Logan R-rated. When a movie is R-rated, they can not tie anything in to promote it to kids. When that happens the studio is constantly watching your movie, suggesting things "hey can ya have a few more lines for this character, we want to feature him on a happy meal" or "hey this scenes a little to long with too much dialogue, we need you to trim it down so the kids stay interested" With the R-rating, he didn't have to deal with any of that.
That is literally Spider-Man in the comic books. I mean, do you not know who Spider-Man is or something?

_________________
“You don’t have a soul, Doctor. You are a soul. You have a body, temporarily.”
A Canticle for Leibowitz


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017)
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:17 pm
Posts: 1983
Location: right there
The one who shouldn't be that funny is Iron Man. Sarcastic? yes, funny? no. And Bruce Banner should have no sense of humour. Thor is too dumb to think up intentional jokes...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017)
PostPosted: Thu June 01, 2017 8:43 am 
Offline
User avatar
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed July 03, 2013 11:21 pm
Posts: 13078
Location: Lft Craquepeau
BurtReynolds wrote:
Only the sarge can tell these jokes and make them work. Someone get him a roll in a marvel movie.

Fuck/thank you.

_________________
Rangi Guy wrote:
So skating back to the train station after work today things went wrong.....now my skateboard is at the bottom of the harbour :(


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017)
PostPosted: Thu June 01, 2017 8:50 am 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 28526
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Only the sarge can tell these jokes and make them work. Someone get him a roll in a marvel movie.

Fuck/thank you.

Image

_________________
Gravity is pseudo science. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJOZp2ZftCw


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017)
PostPosted: Thu June 01, 2017 10:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 7:12 am
Posts: 1251
Location: The Jungle
[/b] Spider-Man in the comic books. I mean, do you not know who Spider-Man is or something?[/quote]

Yeah, I know, that's Spider-man
He did not fit the movie at all, and I guarantee you it was Disney higher ups wanting a kid friendly character cracking jokes in the big fight amongst super heroes to keep the little kids from getting toooooo scared. And to top it off, you still had EVERYONE ELSE cracking jokes. Hell even War Machine is cracking one liners.

Guardians had a 5 min long scene about Lazer Face. I felt like I was watching Spaceballs "surrounded by asshole" scene.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017)
PostPosted: Thu June 01, 2017 10:52 pm 
Online
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 26580
Location: don't PM me I don't have anything
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
it was Disney higher ups wanting a kid friendly character cracking jokes

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
you still had EVERYONE ELSE cracking jokes. Hell even War Machine is cracking one liners.

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
He did not fit the movie at all

Kinda sounds like he fit in perfectly

_________________
Anders wrote:
Doesn’t matter what gender you are when it comes to matters of the heart.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017)
PostPosted: Fri June 02, 2017 1:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 7:12 am
Posts: 1251
Location: The Jungle
theplatypus wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
it was Disney higher ups wanting a kid friendly character cracking jokes

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
you still had EVERYONE ELSE cracking jokes. Hell even War Machine is cracking one liners.

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
He did not fit the movie at all

Kinda sounds like he fit in perfectly


He fit in the movies Disney/Marvel is turning out? But its getting old, fast (for me and others obviously)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017)
PostPosted: Fri June 02, 2017 5:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Gym Leader
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 7:17 pm
Posts: 11171
If it wasn't organic to character, I would have more of a problem with it


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Tue October 17, 2017 7:42 am