The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (2017)
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:17 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
My kids have seen the first one, how does this one compare in terms of violence/sex? Spoiler free would be preferred :)

no sex, but plenty of deaths. but it's all treated as a joke, so... you know... it's fine.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:17 pm 
The Master

BurtReynolds wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
My kids have seen the first one, how does this one compare in terms of violence/sex? Spoiler free would be preferred :)

no sex, but plenty of deaths. but it's all treated as a joke, so... you know... it's fine.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:31 pm 
The worst

Strat wrote:
so this sucks or?

it sucks if you hate things that are fun

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:34 pm 
The Master

stip wrote:
Strat wrote:
so this sucks or?

it sucks if you hate things that are fun

I enjoyed the first one upon first viewing. However, for whatever reason, it did not hold up on second viewing for me.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:42 pm 
The worst

I liked 2 more than 1, granted that was just with one viewing. It's pretty much the same movie, with some deeper dives into character relationships since you don't need to put the team together.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:22 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

This one sucks

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:15 am 
The worst

:shake:

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:16 am 
The Master

i haven't seen it yet, but i think i agree with ruddock

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:53 pm 
slower than 82% of US

BurtReynolds wrote:

They make such a big deal out of the soundtrack, desperately trying to make it seem so trendy and cool, when its generic bullshit you could hear on any classic rock radio station for the past 35 years. And they even weave it into the plot? bleh.

The first movie's soundtrack was tied into the plot too. Although, I disagree that they made such a big deal about the soundtrack; they were just playing off what worked about the first movie. The first one sparked something in people with the concept of the mix tape, so they were just continuing with that device if anything.

Also, come on, of course you can hear the songs anywhere, but this movie does something with most of them. If you can't watch the sequences with "Come A Little Bit Closer" or "My Sweet Lord" and not appreciate how they soundtracked the scene, then you might as well watch movies without scoring.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:07 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

They took the idea from the first one, and multiplied it by a thousand and put it front and center. It's overbearing and distracting. Classic case of running something into the ground.

And the Zune bit was like a Sgt Crackpot joke. Dad City. This whole movie is one big dad joke.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Sun May 28, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:10 pm 

Only the sarge can tell these jokes and make them work. Someone get him a roll in a marvel movie.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:19 pm 

There was some other joke they stole off my Facebook feed five years ago, but I can't remember what it was.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:21 pm 

I just want a movie of Drax and the bug girl.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:23 pm 

And for the love of god someone kill that obnoxious plant.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:26 pm 
slower than 82% of US

BurtReynolds wrote:
There was some other joke they stole off my Facebook feed five years ago, but I can't remember what it was.

they stole the idea of tracking a title sequence with Mr Blue Sky from a conversation a friend and i had about 5 years ago as well

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:53 pm 

Mecca wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

they stole the idea of tracking a title sequence with Mr Blue Sky from a conversation a friend and i had about 5 years ago as well

Have you contacted a lawyer yet?

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:53 pm 
AnalLog

BurtReynolds wrote:
It's funny how the characters are so invincible that for the obligatory (and unearned) sacrifice at the end, they have to come up with the most absurd and arbitrary way to kill him.

They make such a big deal out of the soundtrack, desperately trying to make it seem so trendy and cool, when its generic bullshit you could hear on any classic rock radio station for the past 35 years. And they even weave it into the plot? bleh.

bad guy says something really pompous and important.
*record scratch
deflating quip
hilarity?
repeat a million times

Everything is so jokey that it's impossible to take anything seriously or feel like there is any tension. Serious bits are constantly undermined by tired and predictable quips. Even if they weren't, the attempts at emotional manipulation are so obvious and formulaic, they wouldn't work anyway.

"If you kill me, you'll be just like everyone else!"
"what's wrong with that?"
barf.

The comedy really is on a child's level. If you saw it with kids, I could see why you thought it was great. 'm sure they enjoyed it.

It's still somehow better than the first, which is awful.

This is the Disney formula at it's most cynical. Kill it with fire.

I totally agree with this. So many people were so in love with Spider-man in Civil War, but he totally ruined it for me, he broke up this big dramatic fight between heroes with lame quips. And that's what Marvel movies have really relied on. Dr Strange making jokes? Iron Man cracking jokes, EVERYBODYS suddenly a comedian. And another annoying Disney feature is pushing something that can be marketed to kids (baby Groot, or droids in the Star Wars movies). I just watched Logan with the commentary on, and Mangold said that was one of the best parts about making Logan R-rated. When a movie is R-rated, they can not tie anything in to promote it to kids. When that happens the studio is constantly watching your movie, suggesting things "hey can ya have a few more lines for this character, we want to feature him on a happy meal" or "hey this scenes a little to long with too much dialogue, we need you to trim it down so the kids stay interested" With the R-rating, he didn't have to deal with any of that.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:57 pm 

I wonder how they are gonna combine all these characters into the next Avengers movies. It's it going to be a dozen quipping characters making fun of Captain America for being so straight laced?

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:59 pm 
AnalLog

BurtReynolds wrote:
I wonder how they are gonna combine all these characters into the next Avengers movies. It's it going to be a dozen quipping characters making fun of Captain America for being so straight laced?

Like this? -

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:03 pm 
The Master

team burt and madtigerman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment