The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Logan
PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 4:16 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I will say one thing I think is lacking in this movie is context for the world in which it's set. There are all these passing references to mutants being nearly wiped out, and one toward the end about Richard E. Grant being the one who did it, but none of that is ever illustrated. It was very vague, which made Logan and Xavier's exhaustion and desperation a bit formless and unearned.

Yeah this had me scratching my head a little afterwards

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 4:19 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Also, there was a line towards the end of the movie that I laughed hard at, but now I can't remember what it was

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 4:26 am 

I remember now

Spoiler: show
when Logan found out the girl could talk and he got pissed off, then she was speaking Spanish and wouldn't shut up he got even more pissed off and yelled "shut the fuck up!" Lol.

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 4:31 am 
Future Drummer

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I will say one thing I think is lacking in this movie is context for the world in which it's set. There are all these passing references to mutants being nearly wiped out, and one toward the end about Richard E. Grant being the one who did it, but none of that is ever illustrated. It was very vague, which made Logan and Xavier's exhaustion and desperation a bit formless and unearned.

Yeah this had me scratching my head a little afterwards

I actually didn't mind the vagueness.

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 4:42 am 
The Master

I'm okay with the specific events being vague, but not so much with how they have affected Logan and Xavier. It seems like it's an important part of what drives them as characters, and its lack of clarity creates an accompanying lack of clarity in their character development. I think Logan's relationships with Xavier and, more importantly, Laura have the potential to be much more affecting if we understand the scope of what they mean to him, and some of that gets lost in the vaguery.

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 4:46 am 
Future Drummer

I wonder if we might get more of the back story in a director's cut.

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 6:24 am 
Rank This Poster

was dead set on the prototype mutant being omega red.. which would been better than the clone.. would have bitched that he wasn't russian, still better than the clonr

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 6:28 am 
AnalLog

i got bugs wrote:
was dead set on the prototype mutant being omega red.. which would been better than the clone.. would have bitched that he wasn't russian, still better than the clonr

they should have used Omega Red as the villain in Wolverine Origins instead of Deadpool... Of course, if they didn't use, Dead(cyclops)pool in Origins, ya lose 10% of the jokes in Deadpool :haha:

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 2:54 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

here is why a lot of is vague from the comics perspective

in old man logan (the comic some of this is taken from) logan has settled down with a wife and kids living a very meager life as a farmer. they dont own the land per se but rent it from the "hulk gang" who in typical tyranny behavior charges an enourmous tax on all the families who work on their land and gives the a week to come up with the money

flashback to dreams of wolverine in the x mansion years earlier. the villains finally get their shit together and attack the heroes and at the x-mansion they go after wolverine. he lets loose in a beserker rage and is in strict killing mode

back to the present hawkeye has a mission to take on and needs wolverines help to do so. logan tells him he doesnt do that anymore but once clint tells him how much cash is involved and the time it will take, he agrees

along the way we get more flashbacks. as wolverine is killing all the bad guys one of them says, why logan, why...(i believe the image of the bad guy fades and it is jubilee) and wolvering settles and looks around to see all the xmen slaughtered. mysterio thanks him for doing their dirty work (all across the world heroes are killed or chased into hiding) distraught logan tries to kill himself over the grief by placing his head on train tracks as

as the mission of hawkeye and wolverine comes to an end wolverine gets back to the farm to find his family is killed and he goes after the hulks. this is the first time he has popped his claws since the mansion massacre. he goes after the hulks and kills them all in and confronts banner. before he kills banner he takes banners (grand)child and is seen riding on a horse away from the grizzly scene

also in an earlier story arc (2nd time going back to genosha) wolverine loses his healing factor and it is shown that he is slowly dying from the admantium poising him.

so as you can see they couldnt follow it too closely but used bits and pieces to tell one hell of a story (imo)

its best they left some of the things vague, since they couldnt show how the villains rose up etc...

the plot of xaviers mind being a wmd was well played and liked how they alluded that he was the one who killed the 7 mutants

its sad that it took ryan reynolds leaking the dead pool test footage to get the wolverine that was just made but its better late than never imo

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 3:21 pm 
The Master

That's great but that has no bearing on the movie as a contained work of art.

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 5:11 pm 
AnalLog

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

They had to leave it vague... because...

showing either Xavier kill the X-men, or, Xavier making Wolverine kill the X-men, would have required getting Storm, Jean, Cyclops, Beast... how ever many back. Even if you just cast stunt doubles, it would still be a pretty big set / scene, and broken up the flow of the movie. It also might have taken away from the deaths of Xavier and Logan in this movie. I THINK, that's why they went with the Wolverine clone as well now instead of Sabertooth (which was on the board at one point). With the clone dying, it had no emotional impact to the movie, he was, just a cloan. Sabertooth getting killed it might have felt like piling on. "geez theyre just killing everyone now" IMO anyway.

Peeps - it is pretty cool the way they kept the tone, and general story of the Old Man Logan comic considering they were limited with characters.

Xavier playing Hawkeye and Mysterio. X-23 being the "super soldier serum". The Reevers being the Hulk gang. Hell, even Xaviers earth shaking headaches, was a moloid attack in the comics.

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 8:37 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

you honestly may be the worst person on the earth to try to watch a movie with. i feel bad not only for you but for anyone who stupidly goes to see a movie with you

im sure you question how a robot can turn into something else, what is the comets trajectory to make sure it really is hurtling towards earth and surely you bitch about the girl ending up with the guy

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 8:41 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Jesus Peeps

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 8:44 pm 
Rank This Poster

Lol

Just saw it. I loved it so I think I'll stay out of this debate.

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 8:51 pm 
The Master

Peeps wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

you honestly may be the worst person on the earth to try to watch a movie with. i feel bad not only for you but for anyone who stupidly goes to see a movie with you

im sure you question how a robot can turn into something else, what is the comets trajectory to make sure it really is hurtling towards earth and surely you bitch about the girl ending up with the guy

you are a child

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 8:52 pm 

Hey peeps, in LV's defense, he liked the movie. He was just pointing out a minor issue, which I also noticed.

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 9:14 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

id rather be a child than a pretentious wanna-be critic

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 9:14 pm 
The Master

wow u got my number man

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 9:16 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

LV has a good point. A movie should be self contained without any prior knowledge of the universe it's set in

PostPosted: Sun March 05, 2017 9:16 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Peeps wrote:
id rather be a child than a pretentious wanna-be critic

It seems that you're massively overreacting to a valid point he made

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment