The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 609 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anthony Bourdain
PostPosted: Sat November 02, 2019 10:41 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

London
Armenia
Oman

PostPosted: Sat November 02, 2019 10:45 pm 
The Master

ty 4 yr service

PostPosted: Sun November 03, 2019 12:42 am 
The Master

Yeah the London episode is great, thanks Ruddo. Nice surprise seeing the guy from The Kills. I’ve never been a fan of Marco Pierre White — amazing chef but he sort of created the dark bad boy persona that many aspiring chefs have modeled themselves after — but all the food was amazing and Anthony had some great conversations throughout.

PostPosted: Sun November 03, 2019 1:30 am 
The Master

Followed that with the Laos episode.
Holy crap the food.
Holy crap the cluster bombs.

PostPosted: Sun November 03, 2019 1:31 am 
The Master

“Let us assume the best of the soldiers who believed they were doing their duty for their country’s interest...”

Man I miss Bourdain.

PostPosted: Sat November 09, 2019 5:41 pm 
The Master

Loved the Oman episode

PostPosted: Wed January 01, 2020 12:59 am 
The Master

No Reservations is on Hulu now so I've been watching that. It almost seems like Anthony was more cynical and sardonic back then, but also had more piss and vinegar; on PU he seems more mellow and resigned.

I miss him.

PostPosted: Wed January 01, 2020 1:11 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Good to know this is on Hulu. Thanks. I haven't seen all of that series yet. Just ones I could find here and there

PostPosted: Wed January 01, 2020 1:17 am 
The Master

It’s just seasons 7&8 unfortunately

PostPosted: Wed January 01, 2020 5:13 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
No Reservations is on Hulu now so I've been watching that. It almost seems like Anthony was more cynical and sardonic back then, but also had more piss and vinegar; on PU he seems more mellow and resigned.

I miss him.

A lot of that has to do with No Reservations not being the show he wanted to make. Parts Unknown is 100% his vision, his voice, his creative control.

PostPosted: Wed January 01, 2020 7:45 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I miss him.

A lot of that has to do with No Reservations not being the show he wanted to make. Parts Unknown is 100% his vision, his voice, his creative control.

I don't know anything about a conflict on NR, can you say more?

PostPosted: Wed January 01, 2020 9:30 pm 

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I miss him.

I do know in occasion in PU, he would take slight jabs at "the other network", referring to his old show

PostPosted: Wed January 01, 2020 9:58 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I miss him.

He's talked a lot about how much he hated working for Travel Channel. The lack of creative freedom. The inauthenticity -- look at how much he makes fun of those forced fake fishing scenes on No Reservations. He wanted the show to be more about people and culture -- exactly what Parts Unknown is -- but the network kept forcing him to go to certain places and make sure certain people appeared on the show. They had a format and a formula they required him to stick to as well as a shooting schedule he found unnecessary. There were places he wanted to visit that Travel Channel nixed, as well.

He didn't do much to hide his disdain, especially as things went on longer, toward all things Travel Channel. He didn't like the celebrities they employed and pimped. Parts Unknown was exactly they show he'd always set out to make.

PostPosted: Wed January 01, 2020 10:12 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I miss him.

He's talked a lot about how much he hated working for Travel Channel. The lack of creative freedom. The inauthenticity -- look at how much he makes fun of those forced fake fishing scenes on No Reservations. He wanted the show to be more about people and culture -- exactly what Parts Unknown is -- but the network kept forcing him to go to certain places and make sure certain people appeared on the show. They had a format and a formula they required him to stick to as well as a shooting schedule he found unnecessary. There were places he wanted to visit that Travel Channel nixed, as well.

He didn't do much to hide his disdain, especially as things went on longer, toward all things Travel Channel. He didn't like the celebrities they employed and pimped. Parts Unknown was exactly they show he'd always set out to make.

Oh wow, this explains a bunch, thanks. I was definitely getting the sense he wasn't really feeling all the scenes he was in -- sort of sarcastic remarks to certain people, an obvious discomfort with some of the manufactured aspects of it all. For example, in Hokkaido, he's in a hot spring and he's sort of mocking the woman who is taking pictures of him -- I can't remember the exact dialogue, but it's to the effect of "I'm trying to enjoy this beautiful spa and Debbie is snapping fucking pictures of me." Lots of stuff like that happening.

PostPosted: Thu January 02, 2020 4:29 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I miss him.

Oh wow, this explains a bunch, thanks. I was definitely getting the sense he wasn't really feeling all the scenes he was in -- sort of sarcastic remarks to certain people, an obvious discomfort with some of the manufactured aspects of it all. For example, in Hokkaido, he's in a hot spring and he's sort of mocking the woman who is taking pictures of him -- I can't remember the exact dialogue, but it's to the effect of "I'm trying to enjoy this beautiful spa and Debbie is snapping fucking pictures of me." Lots of stuff like that happening.

:lol:

Yeah, I remember that.

If you really want to see the frustration, watch The Layover. There are several episodes where he clearly gets HAMMERED and doesn't give two shits. He seems to be purposefully trying to fuck up the show and give a huge middle finger to the Travel Channel. It's hilarious.

PostPosted: Thu January 02, 2020 4:47 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I miss him.

Yeah, I remember that.

If you really want to see the frustration, watch The Layover. There are several episodes where he clearly gets HAMMERED and doesn't give two shits. He seems to be purposefully trying to fuck up the show and give a huge middle finger to the Travel Channel. It's hilarious.

I've never seen that show! It was between NR and PU, right?

PostPosted: Thu January 02, 2020 4:51 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I miss him.

Yeah, I remember that.

Yeah. It was sort of congruent with the last season or so of NR.

PostPosted: Thu January 02, 2020 5:02 pm 
Future Drummer

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I miss him.

Yeah, I remember that.

Well, he wasn’t exactly avoiding the drink from the get go on No Reservations.

PostPosted: Thu January 02, 2020 5:08 pm 
The Master

Yeah, what was his sobriety course like? When did he stop drinking (if ever)? And when did he start again? Or was it more about the heroin and other hard drugs?

PostPosted: Thu January 02, 2020 5:10 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

oasisfan35 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I miss him.

Yeah, I remember that.

Well, he wasn’t exactly avoiding the drink from the get go on No Reservations.

Of course. But that's my point. The Layover is another level. And it's obvious. He's clearly like, "you want me to do this asinine piece of shit show? Fine. But you're gonna regret it."

And they did. His behavior was enough to get him out of his Travel Channel contract and over to CNN.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 609 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 31  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment