The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Anthony Bourdain
PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 7:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 27661
Location: Illinois
Strat wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
What about when he killed that cow or whatever with a spear on tv? I wasn't a fan of that.

You weren't a fan of him killing an animal to eat? Are you vegan?


You don't remember that episode where he mercilessly slaughtered that cow or whatever with a wooden spear? It was gross. I hated him for it.

When did you become such a pussy?


You guys seen the episode right? The way he killed the animal was cruel. It made me sad.

_________________
Dick/Balls


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anthony Bourdain
PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 7:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 12:11 am
Posts: 3334
Location: The 216
I’m pretty sure hunter gatherer societies don’t give a fuck if their methods of consumption are humane.

What a stupid fucking thing to get hung up on in the wake of his death.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anthony Bourdain
PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 7:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 27661
Location: Illinois
Sorry Jammer

_________________
Dick/Balls


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anthony Bourdain
PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 8:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 45293
Location: Mountains
verb_to_trust wrote:
Strat wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
What about when he killed that cow or whatever with a spear on tv? I wasn't a fan of that.

You weren't a fan of him killing an animal to eat? Are you vegan?


You don't remember that episode where he mercilessly slaughtered that cow or whatever with a wooden spear? It was gross. I hated him for it.

When did you become such a pussy?


You guys seen the episode right? The way he killed the animal was cruel. It made me sad.

Im just messing with you. I read an article this morning about an injured Mountain Lion in steamboat that they had to put down and i got sad.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anthony Bourdain
PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 9:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rated PG-13 for the power of theatre
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 87922
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
verb_to_trust wrote:
Strat wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
What about when he killed that cow or whatever with a spear on tv? I wasn't a fan of that.

You weren't a fan of him killing an animal to eat? Are you vegan?


You don't remember that episode where he mercilessly slaughtered that cow or whatever with a wooden spear? It was gross. I hated him for it.

When did you become such a pussy?


You guys seen the episode right? The way he killed the animal was cruel. It made me sad.

I have. And it's hard to watch. But it's also important for people to know and understand where their food comes from. If you aren't willing to kill an animal, to know and understand that an animal has to die for you to eat it, then you really shouldn't eat meat.

There isn't a kind way to murder an animal.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anthony Bourdain
PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 9:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 42097
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
durdencommatyler wrote:
There isn't a kind way to murder an animal.

I've never seen the episode in question, but surely we can all agree there is a spectrum of humane husbandry and slaughter? And based solely on what's been posted today, I'm picturing a spear being thrown at a hog, which I would put on the low end of the humane slaughter spectrum.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anthony Bourdain
PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 9:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 27661
Location: Illinois
There are humane ways to kill animals for food. Bourdain going full tribal mode in that episode was gross and unnecessary.

_________________
Dick/Balls


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anthony Bourdain
PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 9:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rated PG-13 for the power of theatre
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 87922
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
There isn't a kind way to murder an animal.

I've never seen the episode in question, but surely we can all agree there is a spectrum of humane husbandry and slaughter? And based solely on what's been posted today, I'm picturing a spear being thrown at a hog, which I would put on the low end of the humane slaughter spectrum.

Of course there is a spectrum.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anthony Bourdain
PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 9:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rated PG-13 for the power of theatre
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 87922
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
verb_to_trust wrote:
There are humane ways to kill animals for food. Bourdain going full tribal mode in that episode was gross and unnecessary.

Disagree. Shocking, I know.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anthony Bourdain
PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 9:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 42097
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
Can someone summarize this for me? How was the spear driven in, what part of the body, how long until the animal died?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anthony Bourdain
PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 9:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 27661
Location: Illinois
I think it's on YouTube. I remember blood being everywhere.

_________________
Dick/Balls


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anthony Bourdain
PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 9:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 42097
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
Found it. It's not so bad. I'd be pissed if they were recreating something in the US just for TV, but it looks like he was engaging in a cultural tradition, in which case I've got no ethical problems with the cameras rolling, nor with the people hunting their own food and honoring the hunt. The death seemed pretty quick, but who knows how long it was with the camera edit.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anthony Bourdain
PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 9:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 27661
Location: Illinois
I just rewatched it. It wasn't as jarring as I remember. He seemed to want the cameras to see his abs though.

_________________
Dick/Balls


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anthony Bourdain
PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 9:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 42097
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
The worst part of all of this is that now David Chang's media takeover will be total.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anthony Bourdain
PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 9:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Thu November 21, 2013 10:01 pm
Posts: 1976
My brother and I crawled the streets of Istanbul looking for Durumzade, and on our first night there ended up having one of the most magical food and cultural experiences of my life because we couldn't find it. The next night we finally did and enjoyed some of the best food that's ever passed my lips.

The world needs more Anthony Bourdains in this divisive time, not less. This one is heartbreaking.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
I mean nothing says libertarian more than talking a lot of shit and then getting your ass kicked in an actual one on one...

Dev wrote:
Clutch rules you dummy.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anthony Bourdain
PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 10:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18381
Location: Space City
tragabigzanda wrote:
The worst part of all of this is that now David Chang's media takeover will be total.

Take this for what it’s worth. Both Bourdain and Chang recently visited my city for their respective TV shows. Of the two, I instantly liked Chang’s better since it glorified our crawfish...something totally in this city’s wheelhouse. By comparison, the recent Parts Unknown episode garnered a ton of detractors in this city to the tune of “why didn’t he go here? Why didn’t he go there? Grumble grumble”

That, counterintuitively, is why the loss of Bourdain will be felt in this industry. His shows, his writing, his whole public persona was about getting out of your comfort zones and echo chambers and trying new things.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anthony Bourdain
PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 10:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 42097
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
washing machine wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
The worst part of all of this is that now David Chang's media takeover will be total.

Take this for what it’s worth. Both Bourdain and Chang recently visited my city for their respective TV shows. Of the two, I instantly liked Chang’s better since it glorified our crawfish...something totally in this city’s wheelhouse. By comparison, the recent Parts Unknown episode garnered a ton of detractors in this city to the tune of “why didn’t he go here? Why didn’t he go there? Grumble grumble”

That, counterintuitively, is why the loss of Bourdain will be felt in this industry. His shows, his writing, his whole public persona was about getting out of your comfort zones and echo chambers and trying new things.

Sure, I agree with everything you said about Bourdain and his loss.

I just really dislike Chang's cuisine. Outside of my first trip to Momofuku, when it was still a ramen bar -- which was amazing -- every other place of his I've dined at has been expensive and flashy without being particularly tasty or even fun. His persona + his technique really irks me; it plays as culinary fusion and showmanship for the sake of driving sales. What's the point if it doesn't taste very good? How the hell did I spend $200 on a whole pig dinner at Ssam and not remember a thing about it? WHY DOES A CEREAL MILK MILKSHAKE TASTE LIKE 24 OZ OF BUTTER AND COST $9?!

Bourdain was the exact opposite of all that.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anthony Bourdain
PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 11:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 45317
Location: Garbage Dump
I don't know if this sounds melodramatic/lame but I've been crying about this a lot today...fuck

_________________
dimejinky99 wrote:
Take that post and push it off a bridge.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anthony Bourdain
PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 11:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 66304
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I don't know if this sounds melodramatic/lame but I've been crying about this a lot today...fuck

Nah, not lame. I watched an episode earlier and it brought me to tears

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Anthony Bourdain
PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 11:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Major Dude
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 26787
Location: Where everybody knows your name
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I don't know if this sounds melodramatic/lame but I've been crying about this a lot today...fuck

No, it doesn’t. He was a big name that affected a lot of people in different ways. Don’t feel silly or ashamed about anything.

_________________
Let me tell you, Homer Simpson is cock of nothing!
- C. Montgomery Burns


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed April 21, 2021 7:37 am