The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: The all inclusive Lord of the Rings thread
PostPosted: Sun March 10, 2019 9:00 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Classic B

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:20 pm 

This is brilliant.

The amazing David W Collins has released his first part of the music of the lord of rings on his podcast, the soundtrack show.
Ever insightful and always illuminating, this is a must listen. I want to watch fellowship after this.

This is just part one.

https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/t ... 0437501404

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:30 am 

So cool. Press play :)

[yt]‬NzPpOzBxJfk[/yt]

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:21 am 

Dunno what’s up here’s the link

https://youtu.be/NzPpOzBxJfk

PostPosted: Thu August 20, 2020 10:43 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Wow this was excellent. Looking forward to digging through more of his videos.

PostPosted: Wed June 30, 2021 6:41 pm 

PostPosted: Thu July 08, 2021 5:07 pm 
Lost Cat

The book's central question is: Why did Bilbo, a simple layman, and connoisseur of the simple pleasures of life, agree to expose himself to such dangers? And why didn't he give it up when the adventure became genuinely extreme? This same question is also raised in the film; moreover, it is the very question that forms the basis of the plot of "An Unexpected Journey." "The Hobbit: Episode I" is the story of how Bilbo begins to see this adventure as his mission, as he comes to understand his motives. In this article, I learned that the hobbit, who wants only one thing: to find himself back in his native hole, suddenly realizes that he has to help the dwarves return to their homes.

Last edited by PullmanGabrielle on Mon July 19, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu July 08, 2021 5:09 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

PullmanGabrielle wrote:
The book's central question is: Why did Bilbo, a simple layman, and connoisseur of the simple pleasures of life, agree to expose himself to such dangers?

PostPosted: Wed July 21, 2021 2:55 pm 

Quote:
Spy Report: 20 new details emerge from Amazon’s Lord of the Rings: Characters, Sexless Nudity and Halflings!
July 20th, 2021 by Cliff Quickbeam Broadway

Amazon Studios’ “The Lord of the Rings” Second Age series has been notoriously secretive during the 18-month production, but inside info is finally trickling out of the billion dollar series thanks to anonymous Spy Reports coming out of New Zealand. We have been able to verify most of today’s report as currently accurate per sources that are involved with the Production.

Most of these Spy Reports have come to us in short form bullet points, and are shared as such below [with additional context and editorial in brackets from Staff Writer and weekly host Clifford Broadway]. Our spy hotline is still the same after 21 years and our DM’s are open on twitter & instagram! To celebrate the hard-working artists and craftspeople working with such passion way down in New Zealand we shed light on their efforts and help include them in the embrace of fan enthusiasm. As with previous intrepid filmmakers tackling a version of Tolkien; the fandom fully indulges our unbridled curiosity with an open hand while shouting support from afar—a grand tradition of an engaged fandom.

Lore, Legal Rights & the Tolkien Estate
First off, we are hearing that the Tolkien Estate is very happy with how things are progressing. Seems they really are more involved in this Production than with any previous LOTR adaptation ever [including the Bakshi version in 1978 and the six Middle-earth films from Peter Jackson; per the terms of the newest deal] and are thus enjoying the creative process. The overall plan for the show has instilled confidence in the Production and more story rights have been assigned to the show.

*CONFIRMED* for the 1st time EVER: elements & passages from “The Silmarillion” and “Unfinished Tales” are licensed by Amazon Studios for this adaptation [we broadly speculate those are sections of the book relative to Númenor and Rings of Power including full rights to stories licensed in the Appendices of “The Lord of the Rings,” which already mention Númenor and much more. Actors had posted instagram pics from Silm over the last 18 months.]
Amazon DOES have merchandising rights
Three lore experts / Tolkien scholars were on set for a time during production
Tolkien Estate is said to be very happy with how things are progressing
Production Details
Men, Elves and Dwarves have their own sequestered production units for the different Free Peoples [this intriguing bit rather suggests the narrative might be constructed across wide time jumps or told from pockets of different historical viewpoints, perhaps even an anthology approach rotating characters from the various Free Peoples all reacting to the same thing, or just not cooperating with each other in Season 1: but over what timelines we still do not know].
Scripts are only digitally shared among actors and crew under draconian control mechanisms to track any persons who could access them
There is a fake production team shooting decoy footage on fake sets unrelated to the real Production – [thus making some “reports of location sightings” false leads by tricksy hobbitses and we must admit this is very clever indeed! Peter Jackson never used decoys!]
Main unit wrapped shooting in April 2021; while many actors are back in the U.K. or are now on other productions
J.A. Bayona’s episodes are a standalone entry point to the series [like a feature film]
There are more incredible directors and big stars yet to be announced
LOTR & Wheel of Time are sharing crew & directors
They are aiming for a mid-2022 release [that is only one short year away and must mean the pressure on Post Production must be remarkable]
Men, Elves, Dwarves & “Early Halflings”
Welcome to the Second Age of the Middle-earth Cinematic Universe, full of corruption, wandering, and a lack of alliances.

Some Halflings are dark skin precursors to Shire-hobbits quite possibly “one of three somewhat different breeds” maybe Harfoots; [described by Tolkien in the Prologue to LOTR ‘Concerning Hobbits’ pg. 12: “they were browner of skin,” and also “they moved westward early,” alluding to a time in their Wandering Days, or perhaps earlier when they kept no records of their journeys over the Misty Mountains westward (which may explain a little of why any early antecedents of pre-Shire migration hobbits would appear here in the Second Age instead of Third Age narrative)]
Sir Lenny Henry portrays one such early halfling [Harfoot]
Celebrimbor the ringmaker has been recast
Tom Budge was in that role
Certain creatures are referred to as Ice Trolls because they can’t be called Cave Trolls (Warner Bros. licensing restriction)
Nudity is sparse and not sexualized— contrary to earlier concerns: but rather this artistic choice represents very dark thematic material suggestive of concentration camp-type visuals of victims, a harrowing portrayal of the corruption of the Elves by dark powers to ultimately become Orcs
Editors note: if this plays out fully it will may well be one of the most ambitious things undertaken by this production and perhaps by anyone attempting to adapt Tolkien
Elves will have short/ shorter hairstyles [cue the Twitter threads, both pro and con, and the voting polls, and endless constellations of lovely fan art, so please bring it fans; I’m here for it]
Sauron/Annatar will not be revealed in Season One [going with the oldest axiom of show business “Always leave them wanting more.”]

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2021/07/20/110907-spy-report-incredible-details-from-amazons-lord-of-the-rings-characters-sexless-nudity-halflings/

PostPosted: Wed July 21, 2021 2:57 pm 

Now that this is getting closer I'm starting to get excited. The fact that the Tolkien estate is happy (they are never happy) and there are lore masters on the set (assuming they are listening to them) seems like good signs. I really hope it's good.

PostPosted: Wed July 21, 2021 4:50 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

The Simarillion was a chore to read

PostPosted: Wed July 21, 2021 4:52 pm 
Champion of RM

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
The Simarillion was a chore to read

Yes. All of those "extra" books were tough reads.

PostPosted: Wed July 21, 2021 5:10 pm 

I'm reading The Simarillion again for the first time in decades. Gotta say I've found it much more pleasurable and readable than I did as a kid. Though keeping track of every Elf who's name begins with an F continues to be challenge. It's like is this guy that guys son, brother, father or did he just decide to up and give himself a new name?

PostPosted: Mon August 02, 2021 6:39 pm 

Wtf. Where is that?

PostPosted: Mon August 02, 2021 6:46 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

thats, uh, the new republic

PostPosted: Mon August 02, 2021 7:29 pm 

I would have thought Númenor but the closer I look at the pic I believe I see the two trees which would make it Valinor but I didn't think they had rights to anything prior to the Second Age...but seriously Sept 2022? I'm going back to sleep on this show.....see ya next August.

PostPosted: Thu August 05, 2021 11:43 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

dimejinky99 wrote:
Wtf. Where is that?

I think that's up north somewhere around Auckland

PostPosted: Fri August 06, 2021 2:13 pm 

PostPosted: Fri August 06, 2021 5:30 pm 
Future Drummer

boy malloy really loved The Silmarillion . i just found out about the amazon series yesterday. that still they've released looks like dogshit, but there's a piece of me that really hoped i'd read the name fingolfin somewhere in these press releases.

PostPosted: Fri August 06, 2021 5:35 pm 

My understanding was it's just the Second Age but after looking at that still I'm not so sure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment