The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wonder Woman (2017)
PostPosted: Thu June 01, 2017 5:59 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

OK. I gotta write a review now but it'll be in Spanish. Overall, I liked it!

PostPosted: Thu June 01, 2017 7:06 pm 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
Ohh thia could've taken such an interesting turn

pan con alioli es muy bueno

PostPosted: Fri June 02, 2017 1:46 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Its a cool movie...its way better than everything Marvel did in a long time for sure...and Gal Gadot is a superstar. She is amazing.

PostPosted: Fri June 02, 2017 4:10 am 
The Master

I appreciate that this movie follows Zack Snyder's brilliant vision of casting superheroes as contemporary mythology (literal gods), but his intuitive, baroque thematic clarity has been replaced by prosaic, expository discussion of subtext, and his beautifully complicated (and complex) optimism has been replaced by embarrassing platitudes. "Only love can truly save the world," is the conclusion they came to? Seriously?

It makes sense to me that this is being so well-received; it's not idiosyncratic enough to be divisive (or interesting). For the most part, it's...fine. It's a decently made blockbuster. The villains are milquetoast. The tone alternates between sweepingly dramatic and obligatorily light. Patty Jenkins is no visionary. She gets the job done. The movie checks the boxes and does what it needs to do. Slivers of Snyder's original vision are definitely there, but applied in a way that feels formulaic, like a TV show trying to mimic the style of a famous director who only made the pilot. In other words, a nice gesture, but ultimately empty and unfulfilling. As the DC cinematic universe progresses, I'm sure Snyder's originality will be felt less and less, and we will descend further and further into banality.

PostPosted: Fri June 02, 2017 4:11 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I appreciate that this movie follows Zack Snyder's brilliant vision of casting superheroes as contemporary mythology (literal gods), but his intuitive, baroque thematic clarity has been replaced by prosaic, expository discussion of subtext, and his beautifully complicated (and complex) optimism has been replaced by embarrassing platitudes. "Only love can truly save the world," is the conclusion they came to? Seriously?

It makes sense to me that this is being so well-received; it's not idiosyncratic enough to be divisive (or interesting). For the most part, it's...fine. It's a decently made blockbuster. The villains are milquetoast. The tone alternates between sweepingly dramatic and obligatorily light. Patty Jenkins is no visionary. She gets the job done. The movie checks the boxes and does what it needs to do. Slivers of Snyder's original vision are definitely there, but applied in a way that feels formulaic, like a TV show trying to mimic the style of a famous director who only made the pilot. In other words, a nice gesture, but ultimately empty and unfulfilling. As the DC cinematic universe progresses, I'm sure Snyder's originality will be felt less and less, and we will descend further and further into banality.

You're a critic!

PostPosted: Fri June 02, 2017 5:29 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
"Only love can truly save the world," is the conclusion they came to? Seriously?

This was some weird Sailor Moon shit, and it felt unearned, but I understand the need for it considering the market it shoots for. Could've been finessed better.

PostPosted: Fri June 02, 2017 1:25 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

While i agree with most of LV view im still happy to see DC is planning on making movies out of its comics, not serialized tv like Marvel.

WW looks amazing.

PostPosted: Fri June 02, 2017 1:27 pm 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:
While i agree with most of LV view im still happy to see DC is planning on making movies out of its comics, not serialized tv like Marvel.

WW looks amazing.

TBH I didn't think it looked that great. A lot of it was pretty flat and chintzy visually, especially at the beginning.

PostPosted: Fri June 02, 2017 1:36 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

oh i loved it. From the color palette to the framing, it was more like a real movie than anything Marvel did in their last movies.
I guess the last Marvel movie that had something like this was Captain America maybe.

PostPosted: Fri June 02, 2017 1:38 pm 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:
oh i loved it. From the color palette to the framing, it was more like a real movie than anything Marvel did in their last movies.
I guess the last Marvel movie that had something like this was Captain America maybe.

I mean almost any movie looks more cinematic than what Marvel does so

PostPosted: Fri June 02, 2017 1:40 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

I mean almost any movie looks more cinematic than what Marvel does so

Not really. I would say that its more common to have the Marvel route in every movie these days. Comedys, dramas, even action movies...they all seem like tv series.

PostPosted: Fri June 02, 2017 1:45 pm 
Major Dude

Just got tix for matinee tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri June 02, 2017 2:00 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I'll probably see this Sunday or Monday. Not sure yet. Things are still up in the air. But I'm SUPER pumped to see it.

PostPosted: Fri June 02, 2017 2:09 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I loved the look of it. Nobody else noticed how oddly the action was cut, often showing us the immediate aftermath of the thing, like there were frames missing? It happened like five times. Also there's a shot of her throwing a tank near the end that is reallly weird.

PostPosted: Fri June 02, 2017 2:17 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Yeah, that was weird. Specially that scene were she gets her sword back. Really weird.

PostPosted: Fri June 02, 2017 5:31 pm 
AnalLog

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Man, for a minute I thought that last portion was a critique on humanity.

PostPosted: Fri June 02, 2017 5:35 pm 
The Master

jwfocker wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Spoiler: show
I know! And then they just threw it away! They set up this great metaphor with Ares representing something in man's nature, and then, at the last second, they walk that back and are like, "Nevermind, Ares is an actual character and when he dies, the war ends." What?!

PostPosted: Fri June 02, 2017 5:38 pm 
AnalLog

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
jwfocker wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

I know! And then they just threw it away! They set up this great metaphor with Ares representing something in man's nature, and then, at the last second, they walk that back and are like, "Nevermind, Ares is an actual character and when he dies, the war ends." What?!

no balls. Had to go the generic route.

PostPosted: Fri June 02, 2017 5:40 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
jwfocker wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Yep. That's what I meant with
theplatypus wrote:
Ohh this could've taken such an interesting turn

That also would've been consistent with her outlook in BVS

PostPosted: Fri June 02, 2017 6:16 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

does she fly an invisible jet in this

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment