The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Tue September 13, 2016 5:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
This show sucks.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Tue September 13, 2016 6:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Fri November 15, 2013 6:14 am
Posts: 18856
Team BadaBart here. Idk wtf the rest of you jabronies are watching.

_________________
Self wrote:
I don't know. Maybe it's just not meant to be.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Tue September 13, 2016 6:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 28887
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
Kaius wrote:
Team BadaBart here. Idk wtf the rest of you jabronies are watching.

she's fine.

_________________
dev wrote:
Love pans out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Tue September 13, 2016 6:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Fri November 15, 2013 6:14 am
Posts: 18856
Team BadaBartBurt.

_________________
Self wrote:
I don't know. Maybe it's just not meant to be.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Tue September 13, 2016 6:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
Kaius wrote:
Team BadaBart here. Idk wtf the rest of you jabronies are watching.

A past-her-prime actress making one huge swing-and-miss for renewed relevancy.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Tue September 13, 2016 6:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 28887
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
Alliances are forming.

_________________
dev wrote:
Love pans out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Tue September 13, 2016 8:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 55153
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
bart wrote:
She starts at a frazzled 6, and then quickly progresses to 10 once it becomes clear that her kid is nowhere to be found. As one would expect.

She starts at a frazzled 37 and instantly goes to a .... ah, nevermind. She's terrible in this.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Wed September 14, 2016 1:18 am 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:53 pm
Posts: 7745
Friends don't lie Joey.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Wed September 14, 2016 10:59 am 
Online
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 2478
I stand by 8.5/10. There was so much to enjoy here it was pretty easy to overlook Ryder's 'performance'. But trying to recapture it in season 2 is a mistake IMO.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Wed September 14, 2016 2:35 pm 
Offline
A Return To Form
 Profile

Joined: Fri January 04, 2013 1:46 am
Posts: 158
This is basically the same Winona Ryder we've seen for 30 years. Some roles may suit her better, but she's never been the type of actress (to me) that ever lets you forget it's her. I'm not sure what people expect. You either like her or you don't (I do).

I thought this show was excellent - a good, fun series to watch in between the serious dramas on HBO, Netflix, etc...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Wed September 14, 2016 2:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 55153
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Rob wrote:
This is basically the same Winona Ryder we've seen for 30 years. Some roles may suit her better, but she's never been the type of actress (to me) that ever lets you forget it's her. I'm not sure what people expect. You either like her or you don't (I do).

I thought this show was excellent - a good, fun series to watch in between the serious dramas on HBO, Netflix, etc...

I like Winona Ryder a lot. Usually. She just sucks in this. Until the end.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Wed September 14, 2016 2:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 55153
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
The overall show is good with flashes of great. I'd give it a 7/10.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2016 3:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Mon January 07, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 879
I thought it was pretty solid, albeit flawed. It's very plot-focused, which is fine, but it sacrifices character depth for it, which isn't so fine. Most of the characters are flat, though I did quite like Chief Hopper, Eleven, and the science teacher. It also feels like a pastiche, with most of its trope invocations, references and homages being a little too on the nose. By the end, however, it did do a nice job of subverting a few of my expectations insofar as that.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2016 4:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 08, 2013 10:23 pm
Posts: 1469
Brett wrote:
I thought it was pretty solid, albeit flawed. It's very plot-focused, which is fine, but it sacrifices character depth for it, which isn't so fine. Most of the characters are flat, though I did quite like Chief Hopper, Eleven, and the science teacher. It also feels like a pastiche, with most of its trope invocations, references and homages being a little too on the nose. By the end, however, it did do a nice job of subverting a few of my expectations insofar as that.

What did you think about the mise-en-scene? How about the decoupage during the denouement?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2016 4:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Mon January 07, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 879
C for effort. You could certainly try harder.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2016 4:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 08, 2013 10:23 pm
Posts: 1469
Brett wrote:
C for effort. You could certainly try harder.

You sure couldn't!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2016 4:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 55153
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
bart wrote:
Brett wrote:
C for effort. You could certainly try harder.

You sure couldn't!

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2016 7:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 11973
Winona was good here guys.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2016 7:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 55153
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
We're over that now, TVG.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Fri September 16, 2016 8:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 28887
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
bart wrote:
Brett wrote:
I thought it was pretty solid, albeit flawed. It's very plot-focused, which is fine, but it sacrifices character depth for it, which isn't so fine. Most of the characters are flat, though I did quite like Chief Hopper, Eleven, and the science teacher. It also feels like a pastiche, with most of its trope invocations, references and homages being a little too on the nose. By the end, however, it did do a nice job of subverting a few of my expectations insofar as that.

What did you think about the mise-en-scene? How about the decoupage during the denouement?

Loved all those things. The denouement is my favorite Dungeons and Dragons monster.

_________________
dev wrote:
Love pans out.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Thu November 23, 2017 12:10 am