The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 1:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 55153
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Mecca wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
It (2017) just made this show obsolete by pulling off the tone and setting way better so I have no interest in watching season 2 of this

i've never agreed with a jorge post as much as this one, but i still watched and enjoyed season 2

I haven't seen "It" so I can't really agree or disagree. But just based on the trailers I've seen, it seems to me that the tones of these projects are completely different. Also, the setting is the same? Did the update "It" so that it takes place in the 80s? That's unfortunate.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 1:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 31281
Location: this field intentionally left blank
The tone is very similar, and, yes, It takes place in the '80s. Which makes perfect sense. Contemporary audiences aren't going to feel nostalgic for the '50s in the way the original audience for the book would have, and this way the second movie can be set in present time.

_________________
Kevin Davis wrote:
Bullshit, I am delightful.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 2:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 11958
It was a wise choice to make it in the 80s. It didnt hurt the material.

Still, im not sure why you guys are comparing the tone of It with ST. Two different things, both of them cool in my book.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 44587
Has anyone else that watches this show read Dean Koontz's "Door to December"?

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 55153
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
The tone is very similar, and, yes, It takes place in the '80s. Which makes perfect sense. Contemporary audiences aren't going to feel nostalgic for the '50s in the way the original audience for the book would have, and this way the second movie can be set in present time.

Interesting that you like nostalgia in 'It' but not in Stranger Things.

For me it isn't the nostalgia that's important. The larger themes of America in the 50's is far more potent. What King was doing in the book had little to do with nostalgia and everything to do with the myth and menace of 50's Americana. Losing that kinda sucks. At least in my mind. Again, I haven't seen the film.

But the same holds true for the adult stuff in part two. There are so many great parallels to the whole "child abduction" boom/obsession/fear in the 80s that played so well in contrast with the 50's stuff in the book. Maybe they're using that as the starting point in the movie (the 80's stuff) but I have a hard time imagining what modern day equivalent will be. Anyway... my opinion on the matter is fairly meaningless until I actually watch the damn thing.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 3:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Has anyone else that watches this show read Dean Koontz's "Door to December"?

No but the Phantoms movie adaptation was unfairly maligned.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 3:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 55153
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Has anyone else that watches this show read Dean Koontz's "Door to December"?

I read Odd Thomas. Is Door to December one of the Odd Thomas books?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
The tone is very similar, and, yes, It takes place in the '80s. Which makes perfect sense. Contemporary audiences aren't going to feel nostalgic for the '50s in the way the original audience for the book would have, and this way the second movie can be set in present time.

Interesting that you like nostalgia in 'It' but not in Stranger Things.

For me it isn't the nostalgia that's important. The larger themes of America in the 50's is far more potent. What King was doing in the book had little to do with nostalgia and everything to do with the myth and menace of 50's Americana. Losing that kinda sucks. At least in my mind. Again, I haven't seen the film.

But the same holds true for the adult stuff in part two. There are so many great parallels to the whole "child abduction" boom/obsession/fear in the 80s that played so well in contrast with the 50's stuff in the book. Maybe they're using that as the starting point in the movie (the 80's stuff) but I have a hard time imagining what modern day equivalent will be. Anyway... my opinion on the matter is fairly meaningless until I actually watch the damn thing.

Another vote for "placing the movie in the 80s works." Really well, in fact.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 3:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 44587
durdencommatyler wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Has anyone else that watches this show read Dean Koontz's "Door to December"?

I read Odd Thomas. Is Door to December one of the Odd Thomas books?

No. Door to December is about a scientist-type that kidnaps and raises a little girl, basically in a sensory-deprivation tank, and she learns to use her mind in inter-dimensional ways, eventually using those powers to turn on the men who did this to her.

Pair that with Super 8, where you have a bunch of kids in the late 70's riding around town on their bikes, discovering a monster that was being hidden by the government but then escapes, ultimately kidnapping people in the town and causing power surges.

Stranger Things.

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 4:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 55153
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Has anyone else that watches this show read Dean Koontz's "Door to December"?

I read Odd Thomas. Is Door to December one of the Odd Thomas books?

No. Door to December is about a scientist-type that kidnaps and raises a little girl, basically in a sensory-deprivation tank, and she learns to use her mind in inter-dimensional ways, eventually using those powers to turn on the men who did this to her.

Pair that with Super 8, where you have a bunch of kids in the late 70's riding around town on their bikes, discovering a monster that was being hidden by the government but then escapes, ultimately kidnapping people in the town and causing power surges.

Stranger Things.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 4:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
Joey please go see It. I feel like this is one of those rare instances where everyone on RM can come together in harmony around one movie.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 4:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 27201
Location: don't PM me I don't have anything
Argo didn't like it

_________________
tragabigzanda wrote:
Stop it, this is pissing me off.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 4:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 31281
Location: this field intentionally left blank
For the record, I never said I "liked" the nostalgia in It.

_________________
Kevin Davis wrote:
Bullshit, I am delightful.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 4:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
theplatypus wrote:
Argo didn't like it

Really? No way am I searching for "It" posts. Can you summarize his feelings? Feel free to take some liberties to make Argo look like a nincompoop.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
"You kids quit having fun with the word filter!"
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 27201
Location: don't PM me I don't have anything
I think he said "there was nothing good about it", which has become Argo's favorite thing to say about movies he doesn't like

_________________
tragabigzanda wrote:
Stop it, this is pissing me off.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 55153
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
For the record, I never said I "liked" the nostalgia in It.

Fair enough. I inferred from your post that you were fine with the nostalgia in the 'It' film but you seem to be enraged by it on Stranger Things. But, you're right. You never said that.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 4:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 55153
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Do we have an 'It' thread? Searching for it is impossible and I can't seem to find it on a brief, lazy look.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 4:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 31281
Location: this field intentionally left blank
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
For the record, I never said I "liked" the nostalgia in It.

Fair enough. I inferred from your post that you were fine with the nostalgia in the 'It' film but you seem to be enraged by it on Stranger Things. But, you're right. You never said that.

The difference is that It doesn't bank on nostalgia the way ST does. It's not chocked full of eye-roll-y references. I think it changes the backdrop for reasons of relatability and topicality; the sociopolitical menace of '50s Americana isn't exactly a super potent/relevant theme for a mainstream audience right now.

_________________
Kevin Davis wrote:
Bullshit, I am delightful.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 4:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 55153
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
For the record, I never said I "liked" the nostalgia in It.

Fair enough. I inferred from your post that you were fine with the nostalgia in the 'It' film but you seem to be enraged by it on Stranger Things. But, you're right. You never said that.

The difference is that It doesn't bank on nostalgia the way ST does. It's not chocked full of eye-roll-y references. I think it changes the backdrop for reasons of relatability and topicality; the sociopolitical menace of '50s Americana isn't exactly a super potent/relevant theme for a mainstream audience right now.

Fair enough. I'm probably being too precious about it since it was damn near the only thing I really appreciated about the book. And I thought they handled it well in the old mini-series (flawed as that was).


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Fri November 03, 2017 4:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 55153
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Just like S1, this thing got better as it went along. And just like S1, the penultimate episode was far better than the finale. Guys, really this thing was exactly like S1 but with WAY more CGI. They made it bigger and more gross. Much more phantasmagoria (which I really loved). They seemed to play down the nostalgia factor, too.

I could actually see someone liking S2 more than S1, actually. But to me they were consistent with each other. The final little coda on the finale was fantastic.

This show is best when it lets the character's lose. Millie Bobby Brown for Queen of Everything!


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], numbers, XWayne and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Tue November 21, 2017 11:41 am