The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2673 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 134  Next
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2019 2:31 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Yeah, I gave up on that thing a long time ago. This is... unsurprising.

PostPosted: Tue March 19, 2019 2:43 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I also seem to remember him naming a kidnapping/rape victim whose identity had been concealed due to rape shield laws.

PostPosted: Wed March 20, 2019 8:54 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

For those who listened to In The Dark season 2: Curtis Flowers' case was heard by the Supreme Court today re: racial bias in jury selection. Early reports are...promising! Fucking Kavanaugh apparently asked many questions and made statements that seemed to indicate sympathy for the defense. And Thomas asked a question from the bench, which hasn't happened in 3 years.

https://www.apmreports.org/story/2019/0 ... reme-court

PostPosted: Wed March 20, 2019 8:58 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

One of the podcasts I listen to had an ad on it for a live show. Sure, whatever, I've heard of podcasts touring. But this one was particularly annoying because it was for a one-off live show, meaning the only way you'll see it is if you happen to be in LA. Or maybe have the money to just travel to LA for a weekend. Or weeknight, I didn't check. Either way it's fucked.

Possibly a post for the irrational hatred thread because this is some white-people-problems to be sure.

PostPosted: Wed March 20, 2019 9:00 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

That is definitely a strange thing to get mad about

PostPosted: Wed March 20, 2019 9:04 pm 
The Master

I’m confused...why would you be annoyed that a podcast would promote their own live show on their own podcast?

PostPosted: Wed March 20, 2019 9:58 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

theplatypus wrote:
That is definitely a strange thing to get mad about

See, we agree on that.
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I’m confused...why would you be annoyed that a podcast would promote their own live show on their own podcast?

See, it wasn't even their show.

I think I figured it out - somewhat - in that it's a little bit of FOMO and a little bit of irrational thoughts on my part. The second part happens from time to time, that's what the drugs are for, it's just that sometimes it's a little out of hand.

PostPosted: Wed March 20, 2019 10:19 pm 
Rank This Poster

Anyone have good recommendations regarding music discussions podcasts? I feel like I've got a better handle on seeking out one-on-one interviews w/ musicians and artists, but something along the lines of Celebration Rock (which I enjoy, but I'm not necessarily seeking out something super genre-specific). I've checked out some of those podcasts that take an album an episode and dig into it, but haven't found any that I've thought were good thus far.

PostPosted: Wed March 20, 2019 10:29 pm 
The Master

How much do you want to know about Kanye West

PostPosted: Wed March 20, 2019 10:30 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

‘Music’.

AL

PostPosted: Thu March 21, 2019 1:12 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

digster wrote:
Anyone have good recommendations regarding music discussions podcasts? I feel like I've got a better handle on seeking out one-on-one interviews w/ musicians and artists, but something along the lines of Celebration Rock (which I enjoy, but I'm not necessarily seeking out something super genre-specific). I've checked out some of those podcasts that take an album an episode and dig into it, but haven't found any that I've thought were good thus far.

Give Sound Opinions a shot.

PostPosted: Thu March 21, 2019 1:21 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Cool playlist is pretty good. Not sure if it's still being made, but there are around 30 episodes available.

PostPosted: Thu March 21, 2019 2:19 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

David W Collins works on Star Wars and has a brilliant pod called the soundtrack show.
It’s well worth your time season one is packed full of insightful illuminating pods on all kinds of films soundtracks.
He’s back with a new season. He’s a fascinating listen.

Empire strikes back. Part one.

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/the ... 0432569345

PostPosted: Thu March 21, 2019 3:34 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

digster wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Opinions

Quote:
Sound Opinions is a radio talk show focusing on rock music. It airs Friday night at 8 PM CT and Saturday at 11 AM CT on Chicago Public Radio. It is syndicated though the Public Radio Exchange and airs on public radio stations around the United States.

The show is hosted by Jim DeRogatis and Greg? Kot and features interviews with musicians and industry figures as well as featuring current music news and occasional live in-studio performances. Kot and DeRogatis review recent record releases and grade them according to a buy it, try it, trash it scale [1] (buy it, burn it, trash it until 1/17/14.[2]) Occasional shows are devoted to dissections of classic albums. Sound Opinions is produced by Robin Linn and Jason Saldanha.

Sound Opinions is a great one.
Joesanity wrote:
digster wrote:

God Damn it, how'd I miss this. Listen to this man.

PostPosted: Sat March 23, 2019 8:38 pm 
Rank This Poster

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

I'm definitely game, though probably am looking for something that doesn't stick to one artist.

PostPosted: Sat March 23, 2019 8:47 pm 
Rank This Poster

bune wrote:
digster wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Opinions

Quote:
Sound Opinions is a radio talk show focusing on rock music. It airs Friday night at 8 PM CT and Saturday at 11 AM CT on Chicago Public Radio. It is syndicated though the Public Radio Exchange and airs on public radio stations around the United States.

The show is hosted by Jim DeRogatis and Greg? Kot and features interviews with musicians and industry figures as well as featuring current music news and occasional live in-studio performances. Kot and DeRogatis review recent record releases and grade them according to a buy it, try it, trash it scale [1] (buy it, burn it, trash it until 1/17/14.[2]) Occasional shows are devoted to dissections of classic albums. Sound Opinions is produced by Robin Linn and Jason Saldanha.

Sound Opinions is a great one.
Joesanity wrote:
digster wrote:

God Damn it, how'd I miss this. Listen to this man.

Thanks for the suggestion! I've listened to one or two episodes, and I'm feeling like maybe I just listened to the wrong episodes, as the discussions in the eps seemed a little surface-level. Almost a bit like they were giving a Wikipedia quick hit version of the topic they were focusing on. Again, I may just not have found the right ep, and will give it another try, cause on paper, it's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

PostPosted: Sun March 24, 2019 10:11 pm 
The Master

I just found out S. Craig Zahler wrote a horror “audiostate” called The Narrow Caves that’s available as a podcast. Can’t wait to listen to it.

PostPosted: Tue March 26, 2019 2:10 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I just found out S. Craig Zahler wrote a horror “audiostate” called The Narrow Caves that’s available as a podcast. Can’t wait to listen to it.

I listened to an podcast with him, such a cool dude so fucking interested in his craft. Really blown away with his works ethics.

PostPosted: Tue March 26, 2019 5:22 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Finally finished Wolverine: The Long Night. It was OK. All interest I had in the series was, like a lot of scripted anything lately, burned out in the last episodes. It had so many stories that the one that was important was boring in comparison. Probably didn't help they had a boring af Wolverine who was barely in the show. They should have called it Boring Police Procedural: Maybe He's a Mutant? instead.

It was so boring that I didn't even care when the 'spoiler' of the show was revealed. Well, either spoiler since there's technically two of them. I'll probably listen to S2 because it's going to have Gambit but it's not a must-listen atm.

PostPosted: Tue March 26, 2019 11:51 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

digster wrote:

I miss CelebRock too. Here's a few that scratch a different itch.

Broken Record with Malcolm Gladwell
My Favourite Album with Jeremy Dylan
Disgraceland

and there's the song by song alphabetical pods for Springsteen, Beatles, Arcade Fire etc. Couple of Dylan ones too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2673 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 134  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment