The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 134  Next
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Thu December 04, 2014 3:33 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Yeah I only started listening 2-3 days ago, listened to the first 9, and jumped on today's episode the minute it was uploaded. Next week's sounds fascinating, although I'm skeptical...

Spoiler: show
...of the theory that Adnan is a psychopath. It's an extremely rare condition (from what I understand), and next week is going to tread into some dangerous waters (i.e., diagnosing from a distance). But, of course, I'll listen.

PostPosted: Thu December 04, 2014 3:36 pm 
The Master

Been listening too. I'm not sure what I think. Still searching for the motive.

PostPosted: Thu December 04, 2014 3:41 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Simple Torture wrote:
Yeah I only started listening 2-3 days ago, listened to the first 9, and jumped on today's episode the minute it was uploaded. Next week's sounds fascinating, although I'm skeptical...

...of the theory that Adnan is a psychopath. It's an extremely rare condition (from what I understand), and next week is going to tread into some dangerous waters (i.e., diagnosing from a distance). But, of course, I'll listen.

Yeah, that is a touchy subject, but I guess she has to explore that angle. There just isn't a whole lot more to discuss in the actual case. I read your theory, and I'm in agreement with you. The first 5 eps did a great job of casting doubt on the state's case (which seems like it'd be enough to rule not guilty).

But, the more I've thought about it and listening to Adnan's reactions to Jay himself really changed my opinion of the case. He should have absolute hatred for this guy. He doesn't.

I think Jay knew ahead of time and may have even been present when it happened. And, like you said, since he was an accomplice, he has a better shot of just implicating Adnan immediately knowing Adnan wouldn't reveal anything.

PostPosted: Thu December 04, 2014 3:50 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Been listening too. I'm not sure what I think. Still searching for the motive.

That's the biggest hole in my theory too, I guess...

My knee jerk reaction is that since it seems like he'd been in many relationships, yeah, what's one more notch on his bedpost? The jilted lover angle seems slim--and, I would assume, it's almost impossible to prove it "beyond a reasonable doubt" in court. But then again, drawing from personal experience--there are some people who do react strangely to new relationships at new times in their lives, and transition years--like the last year and a half of high school--make people do strange things that are out of character. So while I don't find the state's explanation of motive provable, I do find it plausible.

PostPosted: Thu December 04, 2014 4:00 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

EJ wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Yeah, that is a touchy subject, but I guess she has to explore that angle. There just isn't a whole lot more to discuss in the actual case. I read your theory, and I'm in agreement with you. The first 5 eps did a great job of casting doubt on the state's case (which seems like it'd be enough to rule not guilty).

But, the more I've thought about it and listening to Adnan's reactions to Jay himself really changed my opinion of the case. He should have absolute hatred for this guy. He doesn't.

I think Jay knew ahead of time and may have even been present when it happened. And, like you said, since he was an accomplice, he has a better shot of just implicating Adnan immediately knowing Adnan wouldn't reveal anything.

The issue I have with that...

...that is, Adnan's feelings towards Jay, is that I kinda buy his non-hatred, his calm, and so on as a result of a return to religion. That's a super-common theme among people committed of a crime. But just from what I've seen, usually this comes along with an admission of guilt, a way to sort of reform their image in the eyes of everyone else. That is: "I may have done some bad things...but look, I'm saved! I've come back to Jesus/Allah!" Adnan's case is strange because he's presenting himself as coming back to Islam after this whole ordeal, but there's no admission of guilt. Buuuuut there was that phone call to Sarah where he said, "I've made mistakes," and after Sarah presses him, he's silent for a while and then comes back with something about the people he associated himself with, letting someone borrow his car, etc. I feel like Sarah may jump on that in the next episode. Is that his worst slip-up, or maybe his only slip-up?

PostPosted: Thu December 04, 2014 4:04 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Simple Torture wrote:
EJ wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

...that is, Adnan's feelings towards Jay, is that I kinda buy his non-hatred, his calm, and so on as a result of a return to religion. That's a super-common theme among people committed of a crime. But just from what I've seen, usually this comes along with an admission of guilt, a way to sort of reform their image in the eyes of everyone else. That is: "I may have done some bad things...but look, I'm saved! I've come back to Jesus/Allah!" Adnan's case is strange because he's presenting himself as coming back to Islam after this whole ordeal, but there's no admission of guilt. Buuuuut there was that phone call to Sarah where he said, "I've made mistakes," and after Sarah presses him, he's silent for a while and then comes back with something about the people he associated himself with, letting someone borrow his car, etc. I feel like Sarah may jump on that in the next episode. Is that his worst slip-up, or maybe his only slip-up?

I took all of that discussion as an admission of guilt.

PostPosted: Thu December 04, 2014 4:05 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

EJ wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
EJ wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Purposely or by accident?

PostPosted: Thu December 04, 2014 4:07 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Simple Torture wrote:
EJ wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
EJ wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

I think by accident.

PostPosted: Thu December 04, 2014 4:13 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Oh, ok. Yeah, me too. I bet she revisits that statement in next week's episode.

PostPosted: Tue December 09, 2014 2:43 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Kumail Nanjiani's "The X-Files Files" seems promising; I've listened to the first two episodes. I just hope that after a few more, they quit talking about how awesome the show is for 30 minutes before getting to the actual episodes.

PostPosted: Tue December 09, 2014 5:21 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

EJ wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
EJ wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
EJ wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

I think by accident.

I'm loving Serial; great stuff.

I was drinking the Adnan kool-aid, but now I don't know what to think.

PostPosted: Tue December 09, 2014 5:27 pm 
Rank This Poster

I've been listening to a lot of Comedy Bang! Bang! lately. That and The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project.

PostPosted: Tue December 09, 2014 5:31 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Enjoying a lot of the Stuff You Should Know podcasts.

Serves as a good distilled discussion (and a starting block for further research) on a wide variety of topics.

PostPosted: Wed December 17, 2014 10:42 pm 
The Master

I can't decide if I like Nerdist or not.

PostPosted: Thu December 18, 2014 12:23 am 
Rank This Poster

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Nah, Chris Hardwick is a wanker.

Last edited by tommymtcom on Thu December 18, 2014 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu December 18, 2014 12:25 am 
The Master

tommymtcom wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Nah, Chris Hardwick is wanker.

Yeah, he's my problem with it. He just bugs me.

PostPosted: Thu December 18, 2014 12:26 am 
Rank This Poster

Yeah, he's like the Ryan Seacrest of the podcast scene. Do you listen to Comedy Bang Bang at all?

PostPosted: Thu December 18, 2014 12:29 am 
The Master

tommymtcom wrote:
Yeah, he's like the Ryan Seacrest of the podcast scene. Do you listen to Comedy Bang Bang at all?

No, I cannot fucking stand Scott Aukerman. He makes Hardwick look like...I don't know, someone awesome.

PostPosted: Thu December 18, 2014 12:29 am 
Rank This Poster

Strike 1, LV.

PostPosted: Thu December 18, 2014 12:33 am 
The Master

Sorry, I'll try to appreciate nondescript, vaguely assholeish white comedians more.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 134  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment