The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129 ... 134  Next
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Fri December 11, 2020 4:18 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Hatfield wrote:
Just found Armchair Expert. I don't really know Dax as an actor, but I'm loving his interviews. He's so self aware and open. His instincts on where someone is coming from or what motivates them are typically spot on which opens up the person being interviewed.

One of my favorite pods and the very thing that made me fall in love with Dax. So glad you're digging the show.

PostPosted: Fri December 11, 2020 4:20 am 
Production Police

He’s a good interviewer. His co-host annoys me to no end.

PostPosted: Fri December 11, 2020 7:19 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Does anyone know any literary or writing podcasts (or YouTube channels) that aren't just 20 year old girls talking about YA, or tedious identity politics?

Better Than Food (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrY6MK ... ISvM2zEgoQ) is a pretty good one, but choices seem very limited.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Fri December 11, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri December 11, 2020 1:22 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
Does anyone know any literary or writing podcasts (or YouTube channels) that aren't just 20 year old girls talking about YA, or tedious identity politics?

Better Than Food is a pretty good one, but choices seem very limited.

Are you looking for a specific aspect? Like, how to write? Or literary discussions? Or reviews? Industry talk?

PostPosted: Fri December 11, 2020 7:29 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

epilogue wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

Better Than Food (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrY6MK ... ISvM2zEgoQ) is a pretty good one, but choices seem very limited.

Are you looking for a specific aspect? Like, how to write? Or literary discussions? Or reviews? Industry talk?

any of the above.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon December 28, 2020 5:29 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Little mini thrill today when Andy Daly answered one of my questions on his Bonanza podcast in character and yelled at me.

PostPosted: Sun January 31, 2021 5:48 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I'm all in on Recipe Club, another Ringer production with David Chang and Chris Ying. The premise is one ingredient and a contest of recipes around that one ingredient. They always bring in a guest, and each member of the panel makes all three recipes then they all weigh in. The best episodes are always when Priya Krishna is on. She's so fucking pretentious, but Chang keeps her in check most of the time. Or they drive each other crazy. One of the two.

Ying and Chang's dynamic is pretty great, too. Ying always playing the straight man, bringing common sense and practicality to his recipes and opinions. Chang is...Chang. You love him or hate him, and he's definitely in full hyperbolic force here.

The ingredients are always interesting too. This week's episode was Boboli pizza crusts, and they somehow got to a muffuletta, shrimp toast, and a Fiesta pizza with it.

https://www.theringer.com/2020/12/7/221 ... ecipe-club

Favorite episodes:

Turkey: Debut episode. Dave and Priya's dynamic comes strong out the gate on this one. You can hear Priya get so frustrated with how DC handles her dish and Chang just revels in it.

Brownies: Worth it just for this crazy green chili brownie recipe

Casserole: As a Texan, hearing them all discover that enchiladas are basically just a casserole brings me a lot of happiness. How didn't any of them get to a King Ranch chicken recipe, though? As expected, Priya's stance on casseroles is pretty :roll:

PostPosted: Fri February 26, 2021 8:08 pm 
AnalLog

Anyone else following the Reply All self-destruction?

PostPosted: Sat February 27, 2021 3:26 am 
Posting (live)

ghost wrote:
Anyone else following the Reply All self-destruction?

Oh my. It's mind blowing.

PostPosted: Sat February 27, 2021 3:50 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Simple Torture wrote:
Little mini thrill today when Andy Daly answered one of my questions on his Bonanza podcast in character and yelled at me.

I'm replying way late,but this is awesome. Which episode was it?

PostPosted: Sat February 27, 2021 11:54 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

JuanHamm wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Oh, jeez--it was one of the bonus Stitcher Premium episodes, I can't remember which number. I asked why he doesn't read poetry on the podcast, and he said he doesn't give it away for free.

PostPosted: Sat February 27, 2021 2:09 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Simple Torture wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Oh, jeez--it was one of the bonus Stitcher Premium episodes, I can't remember which number. I asked why he doesn't read poetry on the podcast, and he said he doesn't give it away for free.

I remember that question, that's really cool. Andy daly is a god damned national treasure.

PostPosted: Sat February 27, 2021 2:21 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

JuanHamm wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

I remember that question, that's really cool. Andy daly is a god damned national treasure.

I know it's not going to happen, but if I got one wish from a genie, I would wish that they actually cover all 431 episodes.

PostPosted: Sat February 27, 2021 4:58 pm 
Future Drummer

BurtReynolds wrote:

Three Percent podcast
Literary Hangover podcast
Bookworm
Death is Just Around the Corner -- specifically the pynchon episodes

these, while not podcasts, are great:
chad post's substack about dalkey archive press
dustin illingworth's substack about obstructive fiction

PostPosted: Sat February 27, 2021 4:59 pm 
Future Drummer

know your enemy
reel abstractions
death is just around the corner

PostPosted: Thu March 04, 2021 7:16 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

In Our Time from the BBC reached 900 episodes this week with a great discussion of "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner." Never too late to start on this! Next week they're looking at the Late Devonian Extinction for episode 901.

PostPosted: Mon March 15, 2021 7:37 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Just listened to an episode of the Music Exists pod with Chuck Klosterman and Chris Ryan that was just fantastic. It was all about whether or not an opinion can change an experience. Does criticism matter? Is there such a thing as an authentic artistic experience?

Fucking great.

I had no idea this pod existed. Someone probably mentioned in this very thread already but I missed it. Or forgot. Or didn't look into it. So, sorry to that person. But this pod is awesome.

PostPosted: Mon March 15, 2021 7:58 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I've always enjoyed Chris Ryan's takes on movies and TVs, but I have very little desire to listen to or read music criticism most of the time. It's a weird thing I have.

PostPosted: Mon March 15, 2021 11:01 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Simple Torture wrote:
I've always enjoyed Chris Ryan's takes on movies and TVs, but I have very little desire to listen to or read music criticism most of the time. It's a weird thing I have.

I get that.

This is the first time I've heard Chris Ryan tackle music. Like you, I like his movie and TV takes. And I think Chuck Klosterman is just fucking awesome. I disagree with him all the time but the guy always leaves me thinking. They cover so much ground and dip into such fun little alleys along the way.

But I also like music criticism in general. If that's not your bag you probably won't find as much to enjoy about the pod as I do. But if you decide you want to try something in this vein, I highly recommend this one.

PostPosted: Tue March 16, 2021 4:00 am 
Posting (live)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129 ... 134  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment