The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2673 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 134  Next
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Wed November 21, 2018 2:45 am 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Oh, and I enjoyed the first episode of Conan O’Brien Needs Friends. Lightweight, but I laughed a lot.

Thanks for this, had no idea. Just downloaded the Ferrell episode, will listen on our drive back from SLC to Big Sky on Friday.

PostPosted: Fri November 23, 2018 10:41 pm 
The Master

Terry Gross totally wasted her interview with the Coen Brothers :-(

She spent the entire episode asking about how they wrote dialogue for Buster Scruggs and Hail Caesar. They gave variations on the answer of "we aped the genres to which we were paying homage." So many more interesting questions she could have asked.

PostPosted: Fri November 23, 2018 10:45 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

I wanna listen to S town again.

I’ve never delved into serial. Should I start from that start?

PostPosted: Fri November 23, 2018 10:47 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:

i'd say do S1. S2 kind of sucks, and S3 is really good but might be less interesting if you're less familiar with the US court system

PostPosted: Fri November 23, 2018 10:51 pm 

tragabigzanda wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

i'd say do S1. S2 kind of sucks, and S3 is really good but might be less interesting if you're less familiar with the US court system

Hey I’m midway through my umpteenth run through the west wing I’m a master of all aspects of the American experience!

Joke aside is it worth listening to? It’s nothing like as regarded as S town was here. And I loved s town

PostPosted: Fri November 23, 2018 10:56 pm 
The Master

S1 presents a very interesting murder case. Lots of stuff to ponder over and debate.

S2 is a snoozer of a story that warranted 1-2 episodes, but not a full season.

S3 is sort of like The Wire in real life. Lots of different cases of varying shapes and sizes, and a great look into the Cleveland justice system.

The host, Sarah Koenig, can be pretty annoying sometimes, and at best she's totally benign. Not a personality i'd call likeable or unlikeable, just sort of there with some occasional annoying tendencies.

PostPosted: Fri November 23, 2018 11:11 pm 

tragabigzanda wrote:
S1 presents a very interesting murder case. Lots of stuff to ponder over and debate.

S3 is sort of like The Wire in real life. Lots of different cases of varying shapes and sizes, and a great look into the Cleveland justice system.

The host, Sarah Koenig, can be pretty annoying sometimes, and at best she's totally benign. Not a personality i'd call likeable or unlikeable, just sort of there with some occasional annoying tendencies.

Awesome thank you I’m going in.

PostPosted: Sat November 24, 2018 3:58 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:

These Serial takes are wonky af.

Sarah Koenig is amazing. Here voice, her writing, her presentation and personal touch are everything. Serial without Sarah Koenig is literally nothing.

S1 is absolutely outstanding. It is a must listen. So much about what makes Podcasting great today belongs to Serial. Whole genres exist and thrive because of what this game-changing podcast gave us in S1. It is the standard-bearer.

S2 is a completely different animal, and I agree that it's far less engaging than either S1 or S3. But there's a ton of value in it, especially as it progresses. Once the pod stops being exclusively about Bergdahl and becomes about the military and government at large, it becomes vastly more interesting and important. It could have been a shorter season, sure but it required it's zoom out/pull back structure and it was all the better for it. No way would this have been anything worthwhile had it been 2 episodes.

S3 is going to (rightly) win them all of the awards again. S3 is probably my personal favorite season and it's a grand slam. Though, I agree, it may not be as interesting to someone outside of the US. But it is captivating, infuriating, heartbreaking, and all around intoxicating storytelling by Sarah Koenig, who I wish could write and record every single pod I listen to.

I adored S Town but it wouldn't even be a thing without Serial. It owes so much to that pod and I wish Sarah had written/told that story. But if you like S-Town, dime, I imagine you'll also really dig Serial S1. Beyond that, it's harder to tell how you might react. I could see you really disliking S2 (like Trag) and not giving a shit about S3 but still finding it entertaining from time to time. But the whole thing, while using the US Criminal Justice System as backdrop, is really about race relations in the US. I'm not sure how tapped in to that you'll be.

PostPosted: Sat November 24, 2018 4:01 pm 
The Master

well to be fair, it seems like the only stuff we disagree on is Koenig and S2

PostPosted: Sat November 24, 2018 4:46 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:

YOU DON'T LIKE S1 OR S3 ENOUGH

PostPosted: Sat November 24, 2018 5:10 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I LOVE THEM BOTH (just not Koenig)

PostPosted: Sat November 24, 2018 5:15 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I LOVE THEM BOTH (just not Koenig)

OKAY FINE THEN I TAKE BACK SOME OF WHAT I SAID BUT YOUR KOENING TAKE IS STILL HOT GARBAGE

PostPosted: Sat November 24, 2018 7:31 pm 

That sounds way more encouraging thanks joe.

PostPosted: Sun November 25, 2018 7:21 am 
10Club Complaint Department

All three seasons are outstanding. Even to a foreigner.

PostPosted: Tue November 27, 2018 3:56 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LetMeSleep wrote:
All three seasons are outstanding. Even to a foreigner.

:heartbeat:

PostPosted: Tue November 27, 2018 4:29 pm 
The Master

We just got to the Serial S3 episode about the guy who shoots the younger guy after their confrontation on a bus. Awesome bit of radio, this one.

PostPosted: Tue November 27, 2018 4:31 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
We just got to the Serial S3 episode about the guy who shoots the younger guy after their confrontation on a bus. Awesome bit of radio, this one.

Such a powerful and gripping episode.

PostPosted: Tue November 27, 2018 10:04 pm 
Gone

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

These Serial takes are wonky af.

Sarah Koenig is amazing. Here voice, her writing, her presentation and personal touch are everything. Serial without Sarah Koenig is literally nothing.

S1 is absolutely outstanding. It is a must listen. So much about what makes Podcasting great today belongs to Serial. Whole genres exist and thrive because of what this game-changing podcast gave us in S1. It is the standard-bearer.

S2 is a completely different animal, and I agree that it's far less engaging than either S1 or S3. But there's a ton of value in it, especially as it progresses. Once the pod stops being exclusively about Bergdahl and becomes about the military and government at large, it becomes vastly more interesting and important. It could have been a shorter season, sure but it required it's zoom out/pull back structure and it was all the better for it. No way would this have been anything worthwhile had it been 2 episodes.

S3 is going to (rightly) win them all of the awards again. S3 is probably my personal favorite season and it's a grand slam. Though, I agree, it may not be as interesting to someone outside of the US. But it is captivating, infuriating, heartbreaking, and all around intoxicating storytelling by Sarah Koenig, who I wish could write and record every single pod I listen to.

I adored S Town but it wouldn't even be a thing without Serial. It owes so much to that pod and I wish Sarah had written/told that story. But if you like S-Town, dime, I imagine you'll also really dig Serial S1. Beyond that, it's harder to tell how you might react. I could see you really disliking S2 (like Trag) and not giving a shit about S3 but still finding it entertaining from time to time. But the whole thing, while using the US Criminal Justice System as backdrop, is really about race relations in the US. I'm not sure how tapped in to that you'll be.

Adnan did it

PostPosted: Tue November 27, 2018 10:49 pm 
Poster of the Year

yep

PostPosted: Wed November 28, 2018 6:23 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:

These are good takes. I didn't even finish S2. I felt like I knew everything I ever wanted to know about Bergdahl after about five episodes. What I liked most about that season, though, was how much perspective I gained on what the Afghan desert must really be like. My father in law spends a lot of time there throughout the year and it's actually helped me understand him a little more.

I'm two episodes into S3 and I really like the approach. I don't think I share Koenig's sympathy with the defendants in the first two episodes, but I'm not 100% disagreeing with her either. She's empathizing too much with the defendants and (especially in the Gaul episode) seems to almost brush off the idea that personal responsibility plays a part in any run-in with the law. Maybe it's the Texan in me, but I think Gaul sounds like the kind of tough love judge the community needs, instead of the heel that Koenig's tone makes him out to be in that story.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2673 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 134  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment