The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 134  Next
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2017 8:22 pm 
AnalLog

Simple Torture wrote:
P.S. I want a hypeman who has a bullet in his brain who just says, "Yup! Yup!" to every statement I make.

The best was when he kept saying "Beaucoups and beaucoups!" :lol:

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2017 8:42 pm 
Production Police

meatwad wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
P.S. I want a hypeman who has a bullet in his brain who just says, "Yup! Yup!" to every statement I make.

The best was when he kept saying "Beaucoups and beaucoups!" :lol:

So I listened to this whole series, save for about an hour's worth between eps 3 and 4 when I dozed off (spoilers for whole series):

Spoiler: show
John was the best part. The series' characters who get built around him could be hysterical, heartbreaking, boring, whatever. I couldn't stand the host, and I had a tough time getting past the format of the show. The "intellectual liberal goes into the seedy small-town life of..." trope has become sort of boring. The mercury poisoning reveal felt like a silly attempt at a clever deus ex machina...

But John was no doubt a fascinating, lovely character. He seemed like a good-hearted dude, and the show did a good job of letting me get to know him. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed April 12, 2017 8:46 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

S-Town was really good for the first few eps, then kind of a letdown. Just felt too invasive at times and attempted to stretch the narrator's metaphor out a bit too much. I'd still definitely recommend it though.

PostPosted: Fri April 14, 2017 5:27 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Simple Torture wrote:
I was just talking the other day in the movies thread about how much I enjoy stories about con-men; now here comes this new podcast, which sounds promising. I'll be listening to the first episode today!

Quote:
When we hear about confidence games, we think, “never me.” Welcome to The Grift, a show about con artists and the lives they ruin. Best-selling author and New Yorker writer Maria Konnikova takes us to the darker side of human nature and deceit. Ten stories about card sharks, cult leaders, art forgers, impostors, and more. Why do we fall for them time and time again?

http://www.panoply.fm/podcasts/thegrift ... GqSSKCgKm2

Meh, it didn't grab me. I won't be listening

PostPosted: Fri April 14, 2017 6:54 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

The Argonaut wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
I was just talking the other day in the movies thread about how much I enjoy stories about con-men; now here comes this new podcast, which sounds promising. I'll be listening to the first episode today!

Quote:
When we hear about confidence games, we think, “never me.” Welcome to The Grift, a show about con artists and the lives they ruin. Best-selling author and New Yorker writer Maria Konnikova takes us to the darker side of human nature and deceit. Ten stories about card sharks, cult leaders, art forgers, impostors, and more. Why do we fall for them time and time again?

http://www.panoply.fm/podcasts/thegrift ... GqSSKCgKm2

Meh, it didn't grab me. I won't be listening

I know what you mean--I had such high hopes for this, but it's mostly just the host talking. I think I'd be more into it if it was journalistic in nature, with multiple interviewees and really setting the stage with background information. Episode 2 was a bit better because it included many more details about how the subject (an art forger) actually pulled off his con, and it got to some more interesting places psychologically.

PostPosted: Sun April 16, 2017 12:18 am 
Mind Your Tanners

I've been listening to Crimetown lately, it's about Buddy Cianci and the Providence mob and I love it.

PostPosted: Tue April 18, 2017 6:07 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

One of the newest Doug Loves Movies had Moshe Kasher on and he was talking about a movie called HyperNormalisation. I'm going to have to find that.

PostPosted: Tue April 18, 2017 11:34 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
Have done the first 4 eps of S-Town. Meh. John was the best part so far, but of course he's not around for the whole series. The rest of it is entertaining enough, but I hate the host: he is, at the very least, pretty boring; and at the worst, guilty of the educated liberals' fetishization of poor white trash that has become so popular in modern media...I got real angry when he described John's Sherman Williams tshirt as "something he probably got for free when he bought a can of paint."

I have 2 episodes left. I've been enjoying it so far, but yes, the part that annoys me the most is the underlying tone of educated liberals' disbelief and surprise that "there are people like this?" These are the type of people I grew up around. To me, the story is less shocking, and more of an homage to my homeland :haha: It weirdly scratches a small homesick itch I've always had since moving away.

PostPosted: Thu April 20, 2017 9:48 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Have done the first 4 eps of S-Town. Meh. John was the best part so far, but of course he's not around for the whole series. The rest of it is entertaining enough, but I hate the host: he is, at the very least, pretty boring; and at the worst, guilty of the educated liberals' fetishization of poor white trash that has become so popular in modern media...I got real angry when he described John's Sherman Williams tshirt as "something he probably got for free when he bought a can of paint."

I have 2 episodes left. I've been enjoying it so far, but yes, the part that annoys me the most is the underlying tone of educated liberals' disbelief and surprise that "there are people like this?" These are the type of people I grew up around. To me, the story is less shocking, and more of an homage to my homeland :haha: It weirdly scratches a small homesick itch I've always had since moving away.

Same. Except that I never felt the "educated liberals" thing that so many have critiqued about the show. I thought they did an excellent job of addressing that up front and then focusing on other stuff. Brian is such an empathetic guy. I really didn't feel that the way others did.

PostPosted: Thu April 20, 2017 10:15 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

It's a reach but the story wonk guy Alastair Stephens is starting on the lord of the rings this week.
He's as smart as all hell and academic but manages to be inclusive and engaging.
His run through the hobbit was brilliant.

Look up there and back again. Or point north media on iTunes/stitcher etc

PostPosted: Sat April 29, 2017 7:08 am 

There and back again.
The story wonk guy has just started on old of the rings.
I couldn't isten to this guy read the phone book.
This series will be amazing.

PostPosted: Sat April 29, 2017 2:33 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

durdencommatyler wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Same. Except that I never felt the "educated liberals" thing that so many have critiqued about the show. I thought they did an excellent job of addressing that up front and then focusing on other stuff. Brian is such an empathetic guy. I really didn't feel that the way others did.

Maybe it's because I'm from the northeast but I don't understand this critique that the show was condescending about the South or whatever.

PostPosted: Sat April 29, 2017 2:38 pm 

numbers wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Maybe it's because I'm from the northeast but I don't understand this critique that the show was condescending about the South or whatever.

Never gut that from it at all.

Part of my headfuck when I found out this actually happened and it wasnt a radio drama was down to the people interviewed in it and how completely batshit crazy they seemed. But they're real people. I just saw it as a warped small town mentality but not any kind of sneering patronising take on them by the producers or the host. That's just how they are.

PostPosted: Sat April 29, 2017 3:15 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

numbers wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I'm from the mid-west and have lived in the South. I now live on the East Coast (have for a decade). And neither do I, friend. I actually think Brian did a great job of keeping all of that shit out of it for the most part.

PostPosted: Sat April 29, 2017 10:50 pm 
Production Police

Sarah Silverman's episode on You Made It Weird was a great surprise. I thought "eh, I'm not sure I can listen to her for over two hours." But man, what a great conversation. It gets unexpectedly deep at times.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:28 pm 
Posting (live)

Under The Skin with Russell Brand is really good. I am not a Brand lover by any means but when he's not the smartest person in the room he is a surprising astute and engaging interviewer.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:54 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

The great Walter Hill is with Maron and with BEE...both of them are great chats, with very good info in his work and career.

If you have to chose one, the BEE one is just priceless.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:58 pm 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:
The great Walter Hill is with Maron and with BEE...both of them are great chats, with very good info in his work and career.

I actually thought the WTF was much better. Hill seems to be a better interviewee than conversationalist.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:59 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

I actually thought the WTF was much better. Hill seems to be a better interviewee than conversationalist.

i loved both, but BEE´s intro is always better than Maron for me.

Man, i really want to see The Driver.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:43 am 

Dear mr potter
The storywonk guy Alastair Stephens series of seminars on the Harry Potter books.
Not reading along with him. Just love his approach and take on everything.

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/dea ... 24792?mt=2

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 134  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment