The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2673 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 134  Next
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:17 pm 
Rank This Poster

The Doug Stanhope Podcast.

He's funny, but I listen to it because I'm fascinated with Bisbee.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:26 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

As always David w Collins is amazing but this one is so odd and fascinating and brilliant:)

Jump in and explore the music of Super Mario Bros, in all of its 8-bit glory. We discuss the surprising power of video game music, the technology and innovation that drove it, and the creative process that led to this 1985 classic.

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/the ... 0409161441

PostPosted: Fri June 01, 2018 6:47 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Is there anyone that semi-reliably tracks podcast listens? What feedback other than program specific discount codes do the advertisers get?

PostPosted: Fri June 01, 2018 3:44 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Found a new one called "Panning the Stream", and it's this guy + his wife who watch obscure shows on streaming networks looking for a good show to recommend. It's like "How Did This Get Made" but on a much smaller scale. I've only listened to a few episodes and there's only a handful out there anyway so it's not a real time-sink at this point.

PostPosted: Fri June 01, 2018 5:39 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Listening to 2+ hours of the Pistol Shrimps Radio guys call last night's Spelling Bee finals.

PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 9:01 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Heard him on Pod Save The World discussing Gaza and checked this out. The news outlet ep with Judd Apatow and the Edward Snowden ep were really insightful and enjoyable.

PostPosted: Sat June 02, 2018 9:05 pm 
The Master

Bill Hader on the Bill Burr podcast had me laughing for like an hour straight.

PostPosted: Tue June 05, 2018 4:13 am 

Probably essential listening for every American. Makes me wish there was something like this for the lies in Australia’s past. I could only imagine something from the UK.

PostPosted: Thu June 07, 2018 2:51 am 

https://theintercept.com/2018/06/06/the-persecution-of-reality-winner/
Quote:
ONE YEAR AGO this month, the FBI arrested a decorated Air Force veteran and NSA contractor and charged her under the Espionage Act. This week: an Intercepted special on the case of alleged whistleblower Reality Winner. While Paul Manafort enjoyed the comforts of his Hamptons mansion on house arrest, Winner was denied bond, kept in a jail, and has been subjected to a public smear campaign by Jeff Sessions’s Justice Department. She was the first whistleblower charged under President Trump and her treatment is unprecedented. Former drone technician-turned-whistleblower Lisa Ling talks about the campaign to free Winner. Trevor Timm of Freedom of the Press Foundation breaks down how the government is stripping Winner of her right to a fair trial. The Intercept’s Peter Maass highlights the injustice and hypocrisy of her treatment. Intercept Editor-in-Chief Betsy Reed and reporter Sam Biddle talk about the top secret NSA document she allegedly leaked, the irony of the media silence about Winner’s treatment, and why First Look Media is funding her defense.

PostPosted: Thu June 07, 2018 3:40 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

This might be morbidly fascinating.

Quote:
Most episodes are recorded remotely, with (Dennis) Miller’s longtime radio producer Christian Bladt running the boards at an unknown location while Miller calls in from his home in Santa Barbara. This means that Bladt’s voice is crystal clear while Miller’s is extremely fuzzy. As Miller is the one speaking 90 percent of the time, this makes for an unpleasant aural experience. When Bladt does chime in, it is usually only to provide a forced laugh or coach a confused Miller through any reference more recent than 1975. As a result, Option feels less like a podcast and more like an awkward, obligatory phone call between a young man and his elderly relative.

The content of The Dennis Miller Option exists in a strange purgatory between right-wing provocation and confused-grandpa doddering. Miller, who perhaps cannily became a Republican during the George W. Bush era, clearly wants to jump on the pro-Trump bandwagon as so many other washed-up celebrities have done before him, but he lacks the basic knowledge and passion to pull it off. Right-wing audiences want manic energy in their commentators; failing that, they’re willing to settle for someone who has a keen sense of which culture-war bugaboos hit the racist Boomer pleasure centers. Miller lacks both of these qualities. He encapsulated his ineptitude rather nicely when in the premiere episode he tried to quote Andrew Breitbart’s famous truism “politics is downstream from culture,” but mangled it horribly: “As the great Andrew Breitbart always said, that the culture war’s downstream — or the culture war’s downstream from the culture war.”

On Democrats’ refusal to move on from the Russia scandal, he says: “CNN couldn’t be any more in the ‘throw it against the wall and see what sticks’ business if they were Jackson Pollock testing a strand of pasta to see if it was al dente while he made his lunch on a hot plate in the spin art booth at the state fair.” The overlap between people familiar with Jackson Pollock and people actively seeking out new material from Dennis Miller has got to be in the single digits, and as one of those people, making sense of the joke has brought me no joy. Being able to understand a Dennis Miller analogy is like being able to recognize a brain tumor on your own CT scan — the sense of accomplishment only lasts a few seconds before the existential dread sets in.

PostPosted: Thu June 07, 2018 3:41 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

:lol:

Quote:
After bumping his microphone and momentarily silencing his audio in the latest episode, he says “Our thing’s fragile, it’s like Sylvia Plath in a rainstorm.” What? When discussing Trump’s ability to fire Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who Trump nicknamed “Mr. Magoo,” he refers to him as “I thought I saw a puddy tat Jeff Sessions,” which is the catchphrase of Tweety Bird, an entirely different character. When reacting to the news that Miss America will no longer have a swimsuit competition, he attempts to reference Scooby Doo: “Are you watching the Miss America pageant for the winner to be Shaggy’s girlfriend, or the studious girl?” Bladt explains that the Scooby Doo character he was thinking of was named Daphne. “Was Daphne Shaggy’s chick?” Bladt explains that Daphne was Fred’s girlfriend. “Was Fred Shaggy’s real name?”

PostPosted: Thu June 07, 2018 3:45 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I’ve changed my mind. I don’t want to listen to this podcast, but I do want to read about it forever.
Quote:
Miller brings incoherence to unseen heights near the end of the podcast’s seventh episode. Bladt mentions a “mailbag” of reader feedback, and this word sends Miller into a Proustian reverie. “Speaking of mailbag. Lana Turner. Postman. When she first steps into the room, Garfield ogles her.” Miller is referencing the 1946 film The Postman Always Rings Twice, which starred Lana Turner and John Garfield. “She’s hot, and uhh, Garfield perfectly receives her. You know what I mean? It’s a perfect degree between primal Piltdown Man, cave, limbic, lizard, aesthetic appraisal. You know, the whole thing.” Here, Miller is referencing a 1912 hoax in which an orangutan skull was attached to a human skeleton and passed off as a newly discovered species. It is unclear how this relates to the movie.

Somehow, Miller’s tangent keeps going. “Garfield, he died early. I think he died at 39. Is that possible? He was a bit of a young Bolshevik. I think a lot of those guys were, you know, trying to get laid at these meetings, right?” Miller then appears to hallucinate an assistant named Sean, whose name does not appear in any information about the podcast. “I’m on the radio, I look over, he’s got a PowerPoint presentation on Lana Turner’s areolas. He’s got a red laser pointer out, and overhead slide projector. I have not seen microfiche since I worked at a college work study job at the Social Security Administration in 1972. But yeah, Garfield ended up dying early.”

PostPosted: Thu June 07, 2018 3:58 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Stuff they don’t want you to know

Really enjoying this one. Thoughtful and well researched.

PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 1:50 am 
Mind Your Tanners

McParadigm wrote:
This might be morbidly fascinating.

Quote:
Most episodes are recorded remotely, with (Dennis) Miller’s longtime radio producer Christian Bladt running the boards at an unknown location while Miller calls in from his home in Santa Barbara. This means that Bladt’s voice is crystal clear while Miller’s is extremely fuzzy. As Miller is the one speaking 90 percent of the time, this makes for an unpleasant aural experience. When Bladt does chime in, it is usually only to provide a forced laugh or coach a confused Miller through any reference more recent than 1975. As a result, Option feels less like a podcast and more like an awkward, obligatory phone call between a young man and his elderly relative.

The content of The Dennis Miller Option exists in a strange purgatory between right-wing provocation and confused-grandpa doddering. Miller, who perhaps cannily became a Republican during the George W. Bush era, clearly wants to jump on the pro-Trump bandwagon as so many other washed-up celebrities have done before him, but he lacks the basic knowledge and passion to pull it off. Right-wing audiences want manic energy in their commentators; failing that, they’re willing to settle for someone who has a keen sense of which culture-war bugaboos hit the racist Boomer pleasure centers. Miller lacks both of these qualities. He encapsulated his ineptitude rather nicely when in the premiere episode he tried to quote Andrew Breitbart’s famous truism “politics is downstream from culture,” but mangled it horribly: “As the great Andrew Breitbart always said, that the culture war’s downstream — or the culture war’s downstream from the culture war.”

On Democrats’ refusal to move on from the Russia scandal, he says: “CNN couldn’t be any more in the ‘throw it against the wall and see what sticks’ business if they were Jackson Pollock testing a strand of pasta to see if it was al dente while he made his lunch on a hot plate in the spin art booth at the state fair.” The overlap between people familiar with Jackson Pollock and people actively seeking out new material from Dennis Miller has got to be in the single digits, and as one of those people, making sense of the joke has brought me no joy. Being able to understand a Dennis Miller analogy is like being able to recognize a brain tumor on your own CT scan — the sense of accomplishment only lasts a few seconds before the existential dread sets in.

As I said in the comedian thread I listened to his No Cure for Cancer album a few weeks ago. I was wondering what happened, because he seemed pretty democratic on that album but I noticed his recent stuff is more republican leaning.

Going to steer clear of this one regardless.

PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 1:53 am 
The Master

ironically this is the first time dennis miller has ever made me laugh.

PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 2:25 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Joesanity wrote:
Listening to 2+ hours of the Pistol Shrimps Radio guys call last night's Spelling Bee finals.

I love Matt Gourley

PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 2:38 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

New podcast about the RFK assassination and the conspiracy theories that surround it: http://rfktapes.com/

PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 3:06 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Interviewing Jane Mayer on the Ezra Klein Show, Ezra brought up that three prominent New York politicians, Eliot Spitzer, Anthony Weiner, and Eric Schneiderman, have all had high profile sex scandals. He asked her what she thought that was about. Is there something about New York politics that attracts this type of behaviour? She said that it was probably because of the high concentration of great media in New York, but I was really hoping she would say, "Well, Ezra, they are all JEWS!"

PostPosted: Fri June 08, 2018 4:03 am 
The Master

The Argonaut wrote:
Interviewing Jane Mayer on the Ezra Klein Show, Ezra brought up that three prominent New York politicians, Eliot Spitzer, Anthony Weiner, and Eric Schneiderman, have all had high profile sex scandals. He asked her what she thought that was about. Is there something about New York politics that attracts this type of behaviour? She said that it was probably because of the high concentration of great media in New York, but I was really hoping she would say, "Well, Ezra, they are all JEWS!"

PostPosted: Sat June 09, 2018 8:19 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Listened to WTF w/ Bourdain --- it's an old episode from 6 years ago --- and it made me smile and cry.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2673 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 134  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment