The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 134  Next
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Mon July 14, 2014 9:50 pm 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
I do have to admit Jason Mantzoukas sometimes gets on my nerves.

HERESY

PostPosted: Mon July 14, 2014 10:54 pm 
Broken Tamborine

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
RussellManiac12 wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I feel like I can never get into anything except How Did This Get Made?. It's ruined all other podcasts for me.

WTF is great too, but very dependent on the guest, obviously.

Have you heard the "Mac and Me" How Did This Get Made? That's probably my favorite one.

I've listened to every episode multiple times. I :heartbeat: HDTGM.

The Second Opinions segments for Mortal Kombat and Jack Frost are some of the funniest fucking shit I've ever heard.

I haven't listened to those 2 because I haven't seen the movies. Maybe i'll have to check them out anyway.

PostPosted: Mon July 14, 2014 11:58 pm 
The Master

RussellManiac12 wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
RussellManiac12 wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I feel like I can never get into anything except How Did This Get Made?. It's ruined all other podcasts for me.

WTF is great too, but very dependent on the guest, obviously.

Have you heard the "Mac and Me" How Did This Get Made? That's probably my favorite one.

I've listened to every episode multiple times. I :heartbeat: HDTGM.

The Second Opinions segments for Mortal Kombat and Jack Frost are some of the funniest fucking shit I've ever heard.

I haven't listened to those 2 because I haven't seen the movies. Maybe i'll have to check them out anyway.

Think of it this way: What's going to be more enjoyable - sitting through fucking Jack Frost, or listening to Paul, June, and Jason laugh about Jack Frost?

PostPosted: Tue July 15, 2014 12:08 am 
Poster of the Year

hardcore history is fantastic

i really liked the ww1 series

PostPosted: Tue July 15, 2014 6:05 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Why is it always the biggest idiot who is always the loudest and most dominating on these things? I hate all the group ones.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed July 16, 2014 12:01 pm 
Broken Tamborine

The Bugle with John Oliver and Andy Zaltzman. Satirical comedy and politics at its absolute finest. Currently on a hiatus for the first time in seven years as Oliver gets the HBO show on the go, but it is well worth checking out, if only for the birth of the greatest portmanteau in the English language.

PostPosted: Wed July 16, 2014 9:38 pm 
The Master

I forgot to mention that I'm also a big fan of the Bret Easton Ellis podcast. Again, though, it's very dependent on the guest. I hate when he has musicians on.

PostPosted: Thu July 17, 2014 4:50 pm 
Rank This Poster

Just started the u talkin U2 to me? Podcast with Scott auckerman and Adam Scott. Really funny despite the fact that I don't like U2.

PostPosted: Thu July 17, 2014 6:08 pm 
Future Drummer

tommymctom wrote:
Just started the u talkin U2 to me? Podcast with Scott auckerman and Adam Scott. Really funny despite the fact that I don't like U2.

Hysterical Podcast. Don't worry Tommy, as the podcasts go on, they barely actually talk U2.

PostPosted: Thu July 17, 2014 6:16 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

tommymctom wrote:
Welcome to Nightvale - comedy/horror - presented as a local radio broadcast

yeah, that's a good one.

Doug Loves Movies
Good Job, Brain!
Smodcast
Hollywood Babble-On
The Smartest Man in the World (Greg? Proops)
Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me!
Fatman on Batman

Tried to get into Nerdist but there are so many episodes (I've switched jobes recently and can't listen to as many podcasts as before.)

PostPosted: Thu July 17, 2014 11:31 pm 
Rank This Poster

lowlight79 wrote:
tommymctom wrote:

Hysterical Podcast. Don't worry Tommy, as the podcasts go on, they barely actually talk U2.

Yeah, I just finished the second episode and they didn't start talking about U2 until over an hour in. These guys are so hilarious I could pretty much listen to them talk about anything.

PostPosted: Mon July 21, 2014 3:44 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

I started listening to "Star Wars Minute" today. It's a podcast that deals with 1 minute of Star Wars each week (each episode is between 10-15 minutes; they've gotten through Empire so far): http://www.starwarsminute.com/

I heard that it delved deeply into the series' mythology and looked at some deep and interesting questions...but I listened to the first 8 episodes today and haven't been completely drawn in yet. So far they've decided:

-The Special Edition sucked.
-The prequels sucked.
-Isn't it weird that they don't shoot the escape pods with the droids in it?

So nothing compelling yet. But I'll stick with it for a bit longer.

PostPosted: Mon July 21, 2014 3:52 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Simple Torture wrote:
I started listening to "Star Wars Minute" today. It's a podcast that deals with 1 minute of Star Wars each week (each episode is between 10-15 minutes; they've gotten through Empire so far): http://www.starwarsminute.com/

I heard that it delved deeply into the series' mythology and looked at some deep and interesting questions...but I listened to the first 8 episodes today and haven't been completely drawn in yet. So far they've decided:

-The prequels sucked.

sounds like torture.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon July 21, 2014 4:06 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

BurtReynolds wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

-The prequels sucked.

sounds like torture.

This probably just shows the sort of person I am, but the premise was really exciting for me; but the execution is lacking. I was hoping to learn of interesting connections that I've never considered before, or to hear conversations about the EU. Nothing like that so far.

PostPosted: Wed July 30, 2014 4:25 am 

cutuphalfdead wrote:
wtf sucks

Jesus Fuck I just listened to this. Fucking terrible. Worst interviewer ever. Stop talking over the guest, asshole.

PostPosted: Wed July 30, 2014 3:43 pm 
The Master

BurtReynolds wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
wtf sucks

Jesus Fuck I just listened to this. Fucking terrible. Worst interviewer ever. Stop talking over the guest, asshole.

Haha, Marc Maron gets on my nerves but I still think WTF is the best interview podcast around. His interviews can get insanely candid and cutting. His best ones feel like listening to a therapy session.

PostPosted: Wed July 30, 2014 7:31 pm 
slower than 82% of US

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
wtf sucks

Haha, Marc Maron gets on my nerves but I still think WTF is the best interview podcast around. His interviews can get insanely candid and cutting. His best ones feel like listening to a therapy session.

But that voice, my god that voice! I like his tv show fine, but take away the visuals to distract from sound and hoooo boy.

PostPosted: Tue December 02, 2014 8:40 pm 
The Master

The Sylvester Stallone Podcast has been a pretty interesting journey so far...

PostPosted: Thu December 04, 2014 3:23 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Serial, anyone? Here's what I've got:

Spoiler: show
I find it really hard to believe that Adnan didn't do it. If I had to put my money on it:

Adnan plans to kill Hae and somehow "recruits" Jay a bit earlier than Jay's testimony states (more in line with the timeline from Jay's more inconsistent interview), maybe just for the car/cellphone part of the deal. Jay probably isn't present for the murder, but because of his foreknowledge, he has to concoct a story that takes weight off his shoulders (no way he avoids jail time if he's an accessory before the murder). Adnan wants to keep professing his innocence because he knows there are so many holes in the state's case, but he can't just call Jay a liar--it'd implicate him too deeply.

I'm not too concerned about the young women who say they saw Adnan in the library and Hae in the gym when the murder was supposed to be taking place--maybe I'm missing something, but I don't know why it couldn't have taken place later in the afternoon. Also, I was in high school at the same time as most of the story's "characters," and I'm having trouble believing that any eye-witness reports that come out now can be accurate. I went to a much smaller school, and around the same time one of my classmates died in a car accident--someone I knew, but wasn't close to (as many people describe Adnan/Hae)--and I can't tell you the last time I saw him, talked to him, etc. Not exactly the same situation, but just some personal context.

I think maybe the defense attorney didn't press Jay too hard during cross--even though it took five days--because she was afraid of implicating her own client. She went with the "poke holes" strategy, I think, instead of really trying to crack Jay, because if he suddenly broke down on the stand and said he was there when Adnan killed Hae--or if he knew about it days before--it might have been even worse.

I'm really interested in the way this podcast mirrors certain other types of entertainment--how its serial nature makes you want to keep listening because you want to figure it out, or because you can't wait for the next twist--something like the Mr. S episode was akin to an episode of Lost where you find out about a character's weird and wild backstory. However, there are two wrinkles that are hard to ignore: first, unless something insane happens in the next couple of weeks, there isn't going to be any sense of closure when this is all over. And second, I feel like a good deal of the "fandom" sort of ignores the fact that these are real people and not characters on a TV show--not saying that these people are crass or unfeeling, it's just weird seeing how their descriptions (maybe even my own!) of the show don't change at all from the sort of rhetoric people use to discuss TV/movie plots.

PostPosted: Thu December 04, 2014 3:28 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Simple Torture wrote:
Serial, anyone? Here's what I've got:

Spoiler: show
I find it really hard to believe that Adnan didn't do it. If I had to put my money on it:

Adnan plans to kill Hae and somehow "recruits" Jay a bit earlier than Jay's testimony states (more in line with the timeline from Jay's more inconsistent interview), maybe just for the car/cellphone part of the deal. Jay probably isn't present for the murder, but because of his foreknowledge, he has to concoct a story that takes weight off his shoulders (no way he avoids jail time if he's an accessory before the murder). Adnan wants to keep professing his innocence because he knows there are so many holes in the state's case, but he can't just call Jay a liar--it'd implicate him too deeply.

I'm not too concerned about the young women who say they saw Adnan in the library and Hae in the gym when the murder was supposed to be taking place--maybe I'm missing something, but I don't know why it couldn't have taken place later in the afternoon. Also, I was in high school at the same time as most of the story's "characters," and I'm having trouble believing that any eye-witness reports that come out now can be accurate. I went to a much smaller school, and around the same time one of my classmates died in a car accident--someone I knew, but wasn't close to (as many people describe Adnan/Hae)--and I can't tell you the last time I saw him, talked to him, etc. Not exactly the same situation, but just some personal context.

I think maybe the defense attorney didn't press Jay too hard during cross--even though it took five days--because she was afraid of implicating her own client. She went with the "poke holes" strategy, I think, instead of really trying to crack Jay, because if he suddenly broke down on the stand and said he was there when Adnan killed Hae--or if he knew about it days before--it might have been even worse.

I'm really interested in the way this podcast mirrors certain other types of entertainment--how its serial nature makes you want to keep listening because you want to figure it out, or because you can't wait for the next twist--something like the Mr. S episode was akin to an episode of Lost where you find out about a character's weird and wild backstory. However, there are two wrinkles that are hard to ignore: first, unless something insane happens in the next couple of weeks, there isn't going to be any sense of closure when this is all over. And second, I feel like a good deal of the "fandom" sort of ignores the fact that these are real people and not characters on a TV show--not saying that these people are crass or unfeeling, it's just weird seeing how their descriptions (maybe even my own!) of the show don't change at all from the sort of rhetoric people use to discuss TV/movie plots.

I just started this a couple days ago. All caught up now. Really enjoying it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 134  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment