The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 5:51 am 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 17367
Location: Hunter
And I did enjoy it. I'm with Joey with the host. I didn't find him annoying at all, actually pretty empathetic. The first 4 eps were the best as it drifted off towards the end.

So many unanswered questions though. Just rereading this thread as I was sure this was fiction but apparently not. As a boy from 10,000 miles away I'm slack jawed at those vox pops. I'll post more when I've thought about it some more.

"Yeah" yelled Jimmyv


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 11:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 55153
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
LetMeSleep wrote:
And I did enjoy it. I'm with Joey with the host. I didn't find him annoying at all, actually pretty empathetic. The first 4 eps were the best as it drifted off towards the end.

So many unanswered questions though. Just rereading this thread as I was sure this was fiction but apparently not. As a boy from 10,000 miles away I'm slack jawed at those vox pops. I'll post more when I've thought about it some more.

"Yeah" yelled Jimmyv

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: I'm glad you liked it. It's really got so much to chew on. It's one I know I'll listen to again one of these days.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 4:11 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 12298
Location: Cumberland, RI
I've listened to a couple of horror/suspense/supernatural serialized podcasts, and while I haven't found one that's really stuck with me as great yet (I think Limetown got closest), I have found an interesting pattern: people are quick to point out how shows like Tanis and Archive 81 owe a lot to the X-Files, but it's shocking to me how much shows like these borrow from House of Leaves. Like I actually thought Tanis was a HOL rip-off for a while, it was so damn close in many regards. I'm in the middle of Archive 81 now, and it's really hit-or-miss depending on the voice actors in each episode. But maybe worth a listen.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 4:16 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
Simple Torture wrote:
I've listened to a couple of horror/suspense/supernatural serialized podcasts, and while I haven't found one that's really stuck with me as great yet (I think Limetown got closest), I have found an interesting pattern: people are quick to point out how shows like Tanis and Archive 81 owe a lot to the X-Files, but it's shocking to me how much shows like these borrow from House of Leaves. Like I actually thought Tanis was a HOL rip-off for a while, it was so damn close in many regards. I'm in the middle of Archive 81 now, and it's really hit-or-miss depending on the voice actors in each episode. But maybe worth a listen.

I did the first few eps of Limetown and I agree with the HOL comparison.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 4:22 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 12298
Location: Cumberland, RI
tragabigzanda wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
I've listened to a couple of horror/suspense/supernatural serialized podcasts, and while I haven't found one that's really stuck with me as great yet (I think Limetown got closest), I have found an interesting pattern: people are quick to point out how shows like Tanis and Archive 81 owe a lot to the X-Files, but it's shocking to me how much shows like these borrow from House of Leaves. Like I actually thought Tanis was a HOL rip-off for a while, it was so damn close in many regards. I'm in the middle of Archive 81 now, and it's really hit-or-miss depending on the voice actors in each episode. But maybe worth a listen.

I did the first few eps of Limetown and I agree with the HOL comparison.


I know I've got to be careful because HOL was pulling from folklore and mythology and these new series could be wrapped up in the same ideas. But it's sometimes hard to move past.

Also, the worst type of characters on these shows are nerds. Small talk doesn't always work, either. The writers just don't seem skilled enough for it.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 1:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Wed September 14, 2016 5:07 pm
Posts: 712
Location: WI
"372 Pages I'll Never Get Back," wherein Mike Nelson and another Riff Trax guy give the business to Ernest Cline's "Ready Player One," chapter by chapter. Pretty good.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 3:35 pm 
Online
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:03 pm
Posts: 3050
Location: Washington State
A House of Leaves-esque podcast? Color me interested...

_________________
"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.”


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 4:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 17849
bune wrote:
A House of Leaves-esque podcast? Color me interested...

this was good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 9:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Sat July 16, 2016 2:04 pm
Posts: 482
Can you guys recommend any scary non fiction podcasts?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Thu October 26, 2017 12:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 12298
Location: Cumberland, RI
Heaven's Gate is a disappointment so far. I am super interested in the subject matter but the host isn't engaging at all. Sad!

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Sat October 28, 2017 10:36 am 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 28881
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
Really like Limetown, at least until the last episode. Kinda dropped the ball there. Still good though.

I was excited to check out the other ones, but holy shit Archive 81 is everything I hate. Just terrible.

_________________
dev wrote:
Love pans out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Sat October 28, 2017 2:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 55153
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Simple Torture wrote:
Heaven's Gate is a disappointment so far. I am super interested in the subject matter but the host isn't engaging at all. Sad!

I agree about the host not being the best but I still enjoyed the first 2 episodes and I'll continue.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Sat October 28, 2017 2:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 55153
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
MissYouAllDay wrote:
Can you guys recommend any scary non fiction podcasts?

You Must Remember This is really strong.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Sat October 28, 2017 9:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 12298
Location: Cumberland, RI
BurtReynolds wrote:
I was excited to check out the other ones, but holy shit Archive 81 is everything I hate. Just terrible.


I thought the tapes on A-81 were, for the most part, moody and creepy and engaging. There were only a few duds. But I could barely stand the segments that featured "Dan."

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Sat October 28, 2017 9:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 31281
Location: this field intentionally left blank
durdencommatyler wrote:
MissYouAllDay wrote:
Can you guys recommend any scary non fiction podcasts?

You Must Remember This is really strong.

Scary?

_________________
Kevin Davis wrote:
Bullshit, I am delightful.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Sat October 28, 2017 9:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 55153
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
MissYouAllDay wrote:
Can you guys recommend any scary non fiction podcasts?

You Must Remember This is really strong.

Scary?

Oh shit. Sorry. I misread. I thought the request was for "non-scary". Never mind.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Sat October 28, 2017 9:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 28881
Location: Anywhere mediocrity is celebrated.
Simple Torture wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
I was excited to check out the other ones, but holy shit Archive 81 is everything I hate. Just terrible.


I thought the tapes on A-81 were, for the most part, moody and creepy and engaging. There were only a few duds. But I could barely stand the segments that featured "Dan."

He was definitely the worst part of it, but I was bored by everything else. Just a lot of silly voice modulating and speed changes.

_________________
dev wrote:
Love pans out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Sat October 28, 2017 11:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Sat July 16, 2016 2:04 pm
Posts: 482
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
MissYouAllDay wrote:
Can you guys recommend any scary non fiction podcasts?

You Must Remember This is really strong.

Scary?

Oh shit. Sorry. I misread. I thought the request was for "non-scary". Never mind.


All is forgiven.

What comedy podcasts do you guys listen to?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Sun October 29, 2017 3:49 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 12298
Location: Cumberland, RI
MissYouAllDay wrote:
What comedy podcasts do you guys listen to?


Going through my feed, I guess I don't listen to that many, but definitely recommend:

Hello From the Magic Tavern
Spontaneanation
The Dead Authors Podcast

These are all improv podcasts, though (although Spontaneanation is the only one that's like "pure" improv), so if you're looking for something non-improv based, I don't have much for ya.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
A+


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Sun October 29, 2017 4:36 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 17583
It’s cool and weird that we’ve gone back to basically the radio as it used to be. Orson Welles surely would love podcasts. He might have even predicted them.

_________________
"durdencommatyler-dimejinky: the Han Solo of RM."


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], numbers, XWayne and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Tue November 21, 2017 11:40 am