The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2673 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 134  Next
 Post subject: Re: What podcasts are you listening to?
PostPosted: Sat September 22, 2018 5:47 am 
10Club Complaint Department

durdencommatyler wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
Are there any TALs you'd recommend or just hit the start?

Also, More Perfect S3E01 is right up your alley, Joe.

What's the title of the episode?

I haven't heard any of More Perfect but Radiolab (same guy) did a cross promotion. They recorded an album based on the 27 amendments.

Quote:
More Perfect is back with something totally new and exciting. They just dropped an ALBUM. 27: The Most Perfect Album is like a Constitutional mix-tape, a Schoolhouse Rock for the 21st century. The album features original tracks by artists like Dolly Parton, Kash Doll, and Devendra Banhart: 27+ songs inspired by the 27 Amendments. Alongside the album they'll be releasing short stories deep-diving into each amendment's history and resonance. In this episode, we preview a few songs and dive into the poetic dream behind the First Amendment. The whole album, plus the first episode of More Perfect Season 3 is out now.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/27-most-perfect-album

https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/most-perfect-album-episode-one-first-second-third-amendments?tab=summary

https://project.wnyc.org/themostperfectalbum/

PostPosted: Sat September 22, 2018 2:19 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

:nice:

PostPosted: Tue September 25, 2018 8:11 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

The first episode of CBC's Uncover: Escaping NXIVM is outstanding. Really looking forward to this series.

PostPosted: Tue September 25, 2018 11:09 pm 
Rank This Poster

Android users, what podcast app are you using?

I didn't really like CastBox or Podcast Addict and listening to podcasts on Spotify is awkward.

PostPosted: Wed September 26, 2018 2:36 am 
Gone

I don't find Spotify awkward at all and it's my primary. I use castbox for the random pod that isn't on Spotify. I'll admit, castbox sucks a little.

PostPosted: Wed September 26, 2018 3:10 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

run2death wrote:
Android users, what podcast app are you using?

I didn't really like CastBox or Podcast Addict and listening to podcasts on Spotify is awkward.

I use Stitcher.

PostPosted: Wed September 26, 2018 12:50 pm 
Pocketcasts. Free app does everything I need it to do and for like $10 you can use the webplayer forever.

PostPosted: Wed September 26, 2018 1:49 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I use Apple's podcast app and Spotify interchangeably. I've never noticed a difference, but then again I find my podcasts through word of mouth here or elsewhere and plug them into the search bar on the apps.

What are podcast apps doing differently from each other than I'm not taking advantage of? More to the point, what would a podcast app be capable of that would make you willing to pay for it?

PostPosted: Wed September 26, 2018 1:53 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Also: currently three episodes into The Wilderness. I like the storytelling in it but I'm not super into an Obama associate telling this particular story, though he is very candid about his bias.

PostPosted: Wed September 26, 2018 2:23 pm 
washing machine wrote:

What are podcast apps doing differently from each other than I'm not taking advantage of? More to the point, what would a podcast app be capable of that would make you willing to pay for it?

For me it's not so much what they do as much as what they don't do, i.e. which has the least amount of features that annoy me. Pocketcasts is as straightforward as it gets. Search for podcasts, subscribe, view them in a grid,
listen via stream or download. Click "up next" to make on-the-fly playlists, use filters to group things by comedy, politics, sports, etc.

PostPosted: Wed September 26, 2018 2:37 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

guestT wrote:
washing machine wrote:

For me it's not so much what they do as much as what they don't do, i.e. which has the least amount of features that annoy me. Pocketcasts is as straightforward as it gets. Search for podcasts, subscribe, view them in a grid,
listen via stream or download. Click "up next" to make on-the-fly playlists, use filters to group things by comedy, politics, sports, etc.

I see. Yeah, those features sound very useful. I guess I don't listen to enough podcasts yet to necessitate organizing and curating my listening schedule. Pocketcasts sounds great, fwiw.

PostPosted: Wed September 26, 2018 2:40 pm 
Rank This Poster

Yeah, that's my issue as well. Podcast apps on Android tend to have a shitload of annoying features and overly-complicated UIs.

PostPosted: Wed September 26, 2018 2:48 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Every time this conversation comes up, people tell me I'm crazy, but I still listen to 90% of my podcasts on my iPod classic. Every morning I take 3 minutes to download new episodes and transfer them over, delete the ones I listened to the day before. I primarily do this because I can have an unlimited number of custom playlists--so especially for shows that I'm coming to late that have a backlog of episodes, I have a neat way to keep all of the unlistened episodes in order. Also helpful for shows like This American Life that only keep a handful of shows on their feed--if I fall like 10 episodes behind, I have them all available right on my iPod.

I subscribe to Stitcher Premium and have the Stitcher app on my phone, and I'll use that when an episode gets released during the day and I want to listen on the ride home, when I want to cast to my Google Home, or when I want to try something new but don't want to go through the whole deal of downloading it and getting it to my iPod. If they allowed for unlimited custom playlists (right now you can basically just have one queue of episodes), I may make the switch and listen to everything streaming, but I'm not there yet.

PostPosted: Wed September 26, 2018 2:57 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I like that in the age of the Cloud, something like an iPod Classic has become almost analog by comparison. That sounds like a nice morning routine, ST.

PostPosted: Wed September 26, 2018 3:01 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

washing machine wrote:
I like that in the age of the Cloud, something like an iPod Classic has become almost analog by comparison. That sounds like a nice morning routine, ST.

The ol' girl is starting to slow down--I'm almost considering selling it before it ups and dies to offset the cost of a newer digital media player. But it's tough to let go, especially with how easily compatible an iPod is with podcasts when it comes to organizing them.

PostPosted: Wed September 26, 2018 6:04 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I used my Classic for podcasts a lot until I found 1.5x and 2x speed options on newer apps.

The app I use on my ipod touch is called Downcast. I liked how I could make one playlist and it would automatically add new episodes to it as they released so I never had to do anything else with it. It's been getting buggy and laggy on me though as he ramps up to a 3.0 release.

Tried using the Google podcast app but it's very strange to use. Also more than a little confusing to navigate. I wish more apps came with a "help" guide because just tapping icons and hoping you find the right one sucks.

Stitcher is one I'm starting to try to use but it's also too streamy for me. I just don't like using a lot of data.

PostPosted: Thu October 04, 2018 7:13 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

WTF podcast with the amazingly talented Gale Ann Hurd was incredible. Such a good listen.

PostPosted: Thu October 04, 2018 7:13 pm 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:
WTF podcast with the amazingly talented Gale Ann Hurd was incredible. Such a good listen.

Meh, I thought it was an eye roll of an episode. Maron is unbearable when he talks about film and Hurd was kinda boring and PR-y.

PostPosted: Thu October 04, 2018 7:16 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

There is a lot of cool insight of how to produce...her vision of producing genre, the scope of her first offices, her relationship with Corman and Cameron.
All pretty neat stuff.

PostPosted: Thu October 04, 2018 7:19 pm 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:
There is a lot of cool insight of how to produce...her vision of producing genre, the scope of her first offices, her relationship with Corman and Cameron.
All pretty neat stuff.

Have you listened to The Producer’s Guide? I bet you’d love it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2673 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 134  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment