The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Stand-up Comedian Thread
PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2014 9:33 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

ive been watching a lot of british humor (offensive joke thread) and love jimmy car, boyle and noel fielding

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 3:53 am 
Rank This Poster

Peeps wrote:
ive been watching a lot of british humor (offensive joke thread) and love jimmy car, boyle and noel fielding

I watched some Jimmy Car the other day. I don't know. I think it's far less impressive to come out and say you're going to be offensive than it is to be a good comedian who occasionally takes an audience to an unexpected place without knowing how they'll react.

I imagine going to see Jimmy play is like going up in the Tower of Terror. You know what you're getting into, and you know how you're going to react. Still scary, sure, but you had a chance to brace yourself. Anyone who comes out mad about what happened is just an idiot.

PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 4:47 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

daft twat wrote:
Peeps wrote:

I watched some Jimmy Car the other day. I don't know. I think it's far less impressive to come out and say you're going to be offensive than it is to be a good comedian who occasionally takes an audience to an unexpected place without knowing how they'll react.

I imagine going to see Jimmy play is like going up in the Tower of Terror. You know what you're getting into, and you know how you're going to react. Still scary, sure, but you had a chance to brace yourself. Anyone who comes out mad about what happened is just an idiot.

oh for sure. its like complaining when you (went) go to andrew dice clay...

but jimmys is at least a little funny with his offensive jokes (least to me)

boyle is hysterical and fielding is just on another level

PostPosted: Mon January 13, 2014 1:36 am 
Mind Your Tanners

daft twat wrote:
Peeps wrote:

I'll let you know the week after next - seeing him on the 25th

PostPosted: Mon January 13, 2014 3:34 am 
Rank This Poster

Rangi Guy wrote:
daft twat wrote:
Peeps wrote:

do! nothing better than live comedy. in the past year i've seen louis ck, bill burr, and dave chappelle. fucking love live comedy!

PostPosted: Mon January 13, 2014 3:41 am 
Mind Your Tanners

daft twat wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:
daft twat wrote:
Peeps wrote:

do! nothing better than live comedy. in the past year i've seen louis ck, bill burr, and dave chappelle. fucking love live comedy!

I would love to see Louis CK live - been watching a lot of his stuff lately

PostPosted: Tue January 28, 2014 11:14 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

So Jimmy Carr was brilliant! Haven't laughed so much in a long time! Can't believe how quick he was with his comebacks when people were trying to heckle him some.

Just got tickets to see Billy Connolly in May.

PostPosted: Tue February 04, 2014 6:47 am 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Tue February 04, 2014 1:21 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Rangi Guy wrote:
So Jimmy Carr was brilliant! Haven't laughed so much in a long time! Can't believe how quick he was with his comebacks when people were trying to heckle him some.

Just got tickets to see Billy Connolly in May.

thats awesome. he ever comes near me over here in the states and i think i will make it a point to go see him

PostPosted: Fri February 07, 2014 3:34 am 
AnalLog

i'll laugh at almost anything not associated with Will Farrell or Dane Cook. that being said, maybe i shouldn't even be in here.

saw Jo Koy a few months back. 90% of the night was just sex jokes. some of them were funny, but jeez. the other 10% dealt with his mom/family. found that particularly funny being married to an Asian myself. everything he said was true and we couldn't stop laughing.

saw Tosh last summer. thought it was really good. he just didn't give a fuck. and the fact that people were getting offended had me enjoying the show even more.

PostPosted: Fri February 07, 2014 3:40 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Peeps wrote:
noel fielding

peeps have you ever seen the mighty boosh?

PostPosted: Fri February 07, 2014 4:24 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

it is on my to do list for sure

PostPosted: Tue February 18, 2014 3:28 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

I've been listening to a lot of stand-up albums on my commutes to and from work in the past few weeks. Some quick reviews: both of John Mulaney's sets that are out on CD are amazing; Marc Maron's "Not Sold Out" and Paul Tompkins' "Labouring Under Delusions" are great listens, for different reasons; and Kumail Najiani's CC special is great. Pete Holmes' "Impregnated With Wonder" is good, but a little too much of his "funny voice/noise" schtick. I'll post more reviews soon!

PostPosted: Sun February 23, 2014 1:12 am 
Broken Tamborine

Simple Torture wrote:
I've been listening to a lot of stand-up albums on my commutes to and from work in the past few weeks. Some quick reviews: both of John Mulaney's sets that are out on CD are amazing; Marc Maron's "Not Sold Out" and Paul Tompkins' "Labouring Under Delusions" are great listens, for different reasons; and Kumail Najiani's CC special is great. Pete Holmes' "Impregnated With Wonder" is good, but a little too much of his "funny voice/noise" schtick. I'll post more reviews soon!

Love Mulaney.

Rory Scovel is where it's at, I'm telling you.

PostPosted: Sun February 23, 2014 1:20 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

tk wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Love Mulaney.

I think he's been on @midnight recently, and if he's who I think he was, then he was very funny. Does anyone else watch that daily?

PostPosted: Sun February 23, 2014 6:25 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Recently discovered Jim Jeffries.
He completely raised the bar immediately. Really love him

Check out alcoholocaust or one of his HBO specials.
You'll be glad you did

PostPosted: Sat March 01, 2014 5:18 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Simple Torture wrote:
tk wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Love Mulaney.

I think he's been on @midnight recently, and if he's who I think he was, then he was very funny. Does anyone else watch that daily?

I meant to record that episode. I actually haven't seen any eps.

Rory Scovel has a Live LP out on Third Man Records that is fucking hysterical.

PostPosted: Sun March 23, 2014 4:13 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Saw Patton Oswalt tonight, he was fantastic. College show, but it wasn't dumbed down at all. The opener was Myq Kaplan, and he certainly didn't bomb, but I just am not a fan of his delivery and timing.

PostPosted: Mon June 09, 2014 5:09 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Seeing Maria Bamford in September. Lots of people don't seem to like her, but she kills me.

PostPosted: Mon June 09, 2014 5:56 pm 
Rank This Poster

Carlin is the king.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 63  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment