The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Stand-up Comedian Thread
PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2024 9:22 pm 
Production Police

given2trade wrote:
Ello Sailor wrote:
Can't believe Trag got to see Patrice. What a flex.

I saw him at comedy club in NY circa 2001-2003. Had no idea who he was. Thought he was incredible. Just kept going and going, all crowd work. I didn't know till many years later who he was.

Yeah I saw him at the Cellar, he did like 15 minutes

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2024 12:20 am 
Major Dude

tragabigzanda wrote:
wease wrote:
daft twat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Birbiglia last night was amazing. Tiny room in Big Sky, just 300 people (4th row!). He was on stage for almost two hours.

Fairly different from his specials in that there was no narrative through line, once he got through the initial 20 minutes of material that was centered on the differences in parenting today vs when he was a kid. As he said at the top, he’s at the beginning stages of building a new special and is trying all sorts of stuff out. Would talk for 20 minutes then refer to some note cards before pivoting to 20 minutes on something totally different; would say stuff like “I haven’t figured out how to connect those two pieces yet.” He was also considerably louder and more animated than his specials, with really none of the quiet contemplative stuff that has become his hallmark.

He did five minutes on marital dishwasher battles that crushed. He also had a bit about pedophelia that wasn’t quite Louis CK dark, but fairly dark for Birbiglia. “I don’t get the attraction, follow my train of thought here…Who wants to spend any unnecessary time with an 8-year old?”

Other topics included keeping score with his wife, trampoline injuries, his kid sucks at ballet, pancakes, the injury that led to his sleepwalking diagnosis, and potentially welcoming a third person into his marriage so somebody knew how to deal with the household appliance maintenance.

None of that probably sounds amazing in print, but it was so awesome to see him in a totally loose and playful mode. Might be the best set I’ve seen in person, and I’ve seen Cosby, CK, Oswalt, Maron, Papa, Gethardt, Notaro, Brennan, Che, Patrice, Quinn, Jeff Ross…

Tell me about your Cosby experience. I’m not baiting you. Genuinely interested.

When I saw Cosby, it was absolutely incredible. He had nothing really prepared and made everything right there on the spot. Until the very end when he did his Dentists bit. 1 1/2 hours of ad libbing. He noticed a lady had an empty seat beside her so went out into the crowd and started talking to her and had her call the person who didn’t get to attend with her. They were a doctor that was on call and he’d been called in to work. The whole show was like that.

Afterwards I was in the restroom and overheard two guys that had apparently been to our show and the one previous saying they were amazed that he did two shows back-to-back and never repeated anything.

That’s awesome wease. Total opposite of the show i saw in ‘99 or maybe 2000: Very rehearsed, but very casual. He was seated most of the time. It was his typical family oriented stuff. Entirely clean and it killed, but very controlled.

That’s very interesting. We saw him in ‘01 or ‘02 so not that long after you.

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2024 1:13 am 
AnalLog

I saw Cosby 2013. I took my parents. I think we all thought it was fine. He sat in a chair with a sweater on and talked. I don't remember him raping anyone but can't be sure. He raped so much he might have been in the process? Maybe drugged someone before he went on stage?

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2024 1:58 am 
Future Drummer

hmm your memory sure seems pretty foggy

PostPosted: Sat January 13, 2024 11:20 pm 
Rank This Poster

I’m going to see Aaron Weber tonight. He’s one of the comedians on Bargatze’s Nateland podcast. I’ve never watched his standup. I’m excited to go in cold and to be in a comedy club again.

PostPosted: Sun January 14, 2024 2:37 am 
Production Police

daft twat wrote:
I’m going to see Aaron Weber tonight. He’s one of the comedians on Bargatze’s Nateland podcast. I’ve never watched his standup. I’m excited to go in cold and to be in a comedy club again.

That’s super fun! Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun January 14, 2024 4:05 am 
Rank This Poster

tragabigzanda wrote:
daft twat wrote:

That’s super fun! Enjoy.

He was great for the first 80%. Kind of unraveled at the end. So clearly headlining talent, though. Really enjoyed it. Pulling for this kid of 32.

PostPosted: Sat January 20, 2024 3:11 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Just saw a commercial for a Jeff Dunham special. It made me very angry

PostPosted: Mon January 22, 2024 1:08 am 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Mon January 22, 2024 1:21 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

I think I admitted this vaguely without saying it fully, but I got dragged to seeing him live last February. Truly one of the most depressing experiences of my life

PostPosted: Mon January 22, 2024 2:32 am 
mXn

I’ll do it

PostPosted: Mon January 22, 2024 4:05 pm 
The Master

wease wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
wease wrote:
daft twat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Birbiglia last night was amazing. Tiny room in Big Sky, just 300 people (4th row!). He was on stage for almost two hours.

Fairly different from his specials in that there was no narrative through line, once he got through the initial 20 minutes of material that was centered on the differences in parenting today vs when he was a kid. As he said at the top, he’s at the beginning stages of building a new special and is trying all sorts of stuff out. Would talk for 20 minutes then refer to some note cards before pivoting to 20 minutes on something totally different; would say stuff like “I haven’t figured out how to connect those two pieces yet.” He was also considerably louder and more animated than his specials, with really none of the quiet contemplative stuff that has become his hallmark.

He did five minutes on marital dishwasher battles that crushed. He also had a bit about pedophelia that wasn’t quite Louis CK dark, but fairly dark for Birbiglia. “I don’t get the attraction, follow my train of thought here…Who wants to spend any unnecessary time with an 8-year old?”

Other topics included keeping score with his wife, trampoline injuries, his kid sucks at ballet, pancakes, the injury that led to his sleepwalking diagnosis, and potentially welcoming a third person into his marriage so somebody knew how to deal with the household appliance maintenance.

None of that probably sounds amazing in print, but it was so awesome to see him in a totally loose and playful mode. Might be the best set I’ve seen in person, and I’ve seen Cosby, CK, Oswalt, Maron, Papa, Gethardt, Notaro, Brennan, Che, Patrice, Quinn, Jeff Ross…

When I saw Cosby, it was absolutely incredible. He had nothing really prepared and made everything right there on the spot. Until the very end when he did his Dentists bit. 1 1/2 hours of ad libbing. He noticed a lady had an empty seat beside her so went out into the crowd and started talking to her and had her call the person who didn’t get to attend with her. They were a doctor that was on call and he’d been called in to work. The whole show was like that.

Afterwards I was in the restroom and overheard two guys that had apparently been to our show and the one previous saying they were amazed that he did two shows back-to-back and never repeated anything.

That’s awesome wease. Total opposite of the show i saw in ‘99 or maybe 2000: Very rehearsed, but very casual. He was seated most of the time. It was his typical family oriented stuff. Entirely clean and it killed, but very controlled.

I saw Cosby was well, probably around 2001 in Eau Claire. Absolutely mind blowing. I think i was crying laughing the entire time. He also did a "person in the crowd" cell phone bit similar to what Trag described.

PostPosted: Mon January 22, 2024 4:15 pm 
The Master

Strat wrote:
wease wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
wease wrote:
daft twat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I saw Cosby was well, probably around 2001 in Eau Claire. Absolutely mind blowing. I think i was crying laughing the entire time. He also did a "person in the crowd" cell phone bit similar to what Trag described.

you "think" because your memory of the evening has always been a bit foggy?

PostPosted: Tue January 23, 2024 12:49 pm 
Major Dude

Paramount+ has the documentary series, The Comedy Store. I finished it last night. A very nice history of the club. Talked about quite a bit I never knew about.

PostPosted: Tue January 23, 2024 12:50 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

That looks interesting.

PostPosted: Tue January 23, 2024 1:04 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

The Argonaut wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

I think I admitted this vaguely without saying it fully, but I got dragged to seeing him live last February. Truly one of the most depressing experiences of my life

and you post on a pearl jam message board. thats saying quite a lot

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 2:36 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

I just noticed Mark Normand's ear lobes are connected to the side of his face

PostPosted: Sat April 06, 2024 1:07 am 
Future Drummer

you need to be watching geoffrey asmus

PostPosted: Sat April 06, 2024 1:07 am 
Future Drummer

you need to be watching phil hanley, too

PostPosted: Sat April 06, 2024 1:11 am 
Future Drummer

please do be watching sam tallent also

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment