The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post subject: The All-Inclusive Science Fiction Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:51 pm 
The Master

Wanted to post this news from Vulture, was surprised to see there wasn't already a Sci-Fi thread. Anyway, I am guaranteed to love this new show:

Bryan Cranston Is Making a Black Mirror-Style Philip K. Dick Anthology Series

Bryan Cranston is cooking up an addictive little product: No, it's not blue crystal, it's more like Black Mirror. Britain's Channel 4 and Sony Pictures Television are producing Electric Dreams: The World of Philip K. Dick, a ten-episode anthology series based on the works of the prolific sci-fi pioneer. Much in the style of Black Mirror, the first season will be made up of ten stand-alone episodes, each "adapted and modernized" from a Dick novel or short story. Outlander and Battlestar Galactica's Ronald Moore and Justified's Michael Dinner are writing and executive producing the project, while Cranston will also executive produce and appear in the series. The series may avoid Dick's classics, given that there are so many existing adaptations, but if they do tackle Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (which became Blade Runner), may we suggest putting Bryan Cranston in the Daryl Hannah part? He'd rock that eye shadow.

Post subject: Re: The All-Inclusive Science Fiction Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:08 pm 
Champion of RM

This thread will only lead to another Sci Fi or Fantasy argument.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:15 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

CopperTom wrote:
This thread will only lead to another Sci Fi or Fantasy argument.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:18 pm 
The Master

i still need to watch black mirror

and read more phillip k dick....i really enjoyed do androids dream of electric sheep (though blade runner was a bit disappointing)...i know they're different, but i genuinely like the movies based on his works

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:30 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:

and read more phillip k dick....i really enjoyed do androids dream of electric sheep (though blade runner was a bit disappointing)...i know they're different, but i genuinely like the movies based on his works

lenny, did you see the director's cut of Blade Runner? The ending is much better and there is no voice over.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:31 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:

lenny, did you see the director's cut of Blade Runner? The ending is much better and there is no voice over.

i haven't yet...i've heard that before though

i'm not sure it would elevate a ton for me...and that's not to say i dislike it at all, it just doesn't grab me like it seems to most otherz

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:44 am 
A Return To Form

This could be good. I just got back from seeing Blade Runner: The Final Cut in the theater as a one off showing.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:51 am 

Nice

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:04 am 
The Master

Meddle wrote:
This could be good. I just got back from seeing Blade Runner: The Final Cut in the theater as a one off showing.

Awesome, would love to see any cut on a big screen someday.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:56 pm 
A Return To Form

tragabigzanda wrote:
Meddle wrote:

Awesome, would love to see any cut on a big screen someday.

It was pretty cool seeing one of my favorite movies on the big screen for the first time after seeing it so many times on DVD. Definitely worth it.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:06 pm 
The Master

Should I watch Dune again? I haven't seen it since I was a kid and I think I may love it.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:14 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
Should I watch Dune again? I haven't seen it since I was a kid and I think I may love it.

Always watch David Lynch films, trag. Always.

PostPosted: Wed June 27, 2018 3:43 am 

Really great short film here, worth the 15 minutes

https://www.shortoftheweek.com/2018/04/03/hyperlight/

PostPosted: Wed July 17, 2019 12:56 am 
The Master

Ok so there’s a story from the new Ted Chiag book (the guy who wrote the story that became the movie Arrival) that has an idea that I can’t stop thinking about...

He has a story based on these gadgets called prisms: imagine an iPad in a box, with a simple binary red/green light.

Scientists have discovered how to access alternate timelines, and these prisms allow one to communicate with someone on another timeline.

The binary light is the key to their application: much like a magic 8 ball, people will make a decision, large or small, based on what the light does. For example: "should I take this new job", or "should I take the long way home today" are both perfectly acceptable questions.

And say you get a green light, and say "ok, I'll take the new job." There is now an alternate timeline on which you didn't take that job. And you can communicate with your alternate self via these prisms...

The problem is that they can only transmit so much data before burning out, and text/audio/video obviously transmit increasing portions of data. So there is a cottage industry that exists around the sharing of knowledge. Say I wanted to know about my alternate self had I not moved to Mt, but my prism ran out long ago: I could go to what is basically a data pawn shop, and they'd track down someone in another timeline who can look me up and see how I'm doing, put me in touch with myself, etc.

(Also some companies will use them for productivity, sharing project tasks and results across timelines).

Older prisms are the most valuable, because most of them have burned out.

It is in this cottage industry that the actual story takes place. The story is perfectly fine. But the prism concept is so fucking cool that I can't stop thinking about it.

PostPosted: Wed July 17, 2019 1:15 am 
Mind Your Tanners

My absolute favorite sci-fi factlet is that in the 1970s and 80s the American Marxist literary critic Fredric Jameson wrote extensively about science-fiction through his theory on the political efficacy of narrative. One of his most used examples was Philip K. Dick. At some point Dick got word of this and wrote a letter the CIA asking them to get this communist fucker to stop writing about him.

PostPosted: Wed July 17, 2019 6:39 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Did anyone besides malice here ever read any William Gibson? This paragraph from Pattern Recognition is the RM experience, to a T.

Quote:
She enters the forum itself now, automatically scanning titles of the posts and names of posters in the newer threads, looking for friends, enemies, news. One thing is clear, though; no new footage has surfaced. Nothing since that beach pan, and she does not subscribe to the theory that it is Cannes in winter. French footageheads have been unable to match it, in spite of countless hours recording pans across approximately similar scenery.

She also sees that her friend Parkaboy is back in Chicago, home from an Amtrak vacation, California, but when she opens his post she sees that he's only saying hello, literally. She clicks Respond, declares herself CayceP. Hi Parkaboy. When she returns to the forum page, her post is there.

It is a way now, approximately, of being at home. The forum has become one of the most consistent places in her life, like a familiar café that exists somehow outside of geography and beyond time zones. There are perhaps twenty regular posters on F:F:F, and some much larger and uncounted number of lurkers.

And right now there are three people in Chat, but there's no way of knowing exactly who until you are in there, and the chat room she finds not so comforting. It's strange even with friends, like sitting in a pitch-dark cellar conversing with people at a distance of about fifteen feet. The hectic speed, and the brevity of the lines in the thread, plus the feeling that everyone is talking at once, at counter-purposes, deter her.

PostPosted: Wed July 17, 2019 6:39 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Did anyone besides malice here ever read any William Gibson? This paragraph from Pattern Recognition is the RM experience, to a T.

Quote:
She enters the forum itself now, automatically scanning titles of the posts and names of posters in the newer threads, looking for friends, enemies, news. One thing is clear, though; no new footage has surfaced. Nothing since that beach pan, and she does not subscribe to the theory that it is Cannes in winter. French footageheads have been unable to match it, in spite of countless hours recording pans across approximately similar scenery.

She also sees that her friend Parkaboy is back in Chicago, home from an Amtrak vacation, California, but when she opens his post she sees that he's only saying hello, literally. She clicks Respond, declares herself CayceP. Hi Parkaboy. When she returns to the forum page, her post is there.

It is a way now, approximately, of being at home. The forum has become one of the most consistent places in her life, like a familiar café that exists somehow outside of geography and beyond time zones. There are perhaps twenty regular posters on F:F:F, and some much larger and uncounted number of lurkers.

And right now there are three people in Chat, but there's no way of knowing exactly who until you are in there, and the chat room she finds not so comforting. It's strange even with friends, like sitting in a pitch-dark cellar conversing with people at a distance of about fifteen feet. The hectic speed, and the brevity of the lines in the thread, plus the feeling that everyone is talking at once, at counter-purposes, deter her.

PostPosted: Wed July 17, 2019 6:42 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I read Pattern Recognition on your recommendation, Reid.

PostPosted: Wed July 17, 2019 6:56 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

What did you think?

PostPosted: Wed July 17, 2019 7:29 pm 
The Master

Are there direct lyrical connection between that book and the SY song?

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment