The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 2:55 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Strat wrote:
Goddammit. I still need to watch the original.

I shall download it for my trip. Which cut, folks?

I like the Final Cut, personally. It is closest to what the director originally wanted.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 2:57 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
This movie is outstanding. Every frame pops. Every frame is vital. It's such a gorgeous film, too. Absolutely see this in a theater if you can. It's one of the rare sequels that can totally stand on its own but also revitalizes and enhances the original. Very few complaints/issues with this movie. It's stunning, stellar, and smart. And I'll echo earlier comments that it has more heart than the original, too.

Glad you liked it. I just saw it for a second time on Monday, wanted to see it one more time in the theater to see if I missed anything. After second watch:

Spoiler: show
The scene between K and the girl that ends up being the daughter. When she watches the memory that K shares with her. Her reaction and the way she says "this is definitely real" is really a great foreshadow. Probably my favorite scene after second watch.

Also, I know I was expecting great cinematography from Villeneuve, especially after Arrival, but man, he really blew it out of the water here. And the score. Man. I want to see it a third time.

LV can poop on him all he wants, but Roger Deakins is so fucking good, it's sickening.

Yes, I should have given him credit as well. The Vegas scenes were fantastic.

Every environment felt fully realized down to the last detail. All of them have such dramatic lighting and atmosphere and texture. All of them are unique but somehow all hang together as well. Each is it's own thing but all of it combines for a cohesive whole. The visuals are breathtaking and do so much of the heavy lifting. The characters/actors get to live and thrive and breath in those scenes in a visceral and real way. Just outstanding.

The scene toward the end with Deckard and Wallace is so masterful. The way the water reflects on the walls and the shadows move to hide their faces as they continue to try and hide things from each other.... the ache for complete clarity and a full reveal... knowing we aren't going to get it... I mean, fuck!

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 2:58 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Strat wrote:
Goddammit. I still need to watch the original.

I shall download it for my trip. Which cut, folks?

I like the Final Cut, personally. It is closest to what the director originally wanted.

I've actually still never seen the Final Cut. But I've seen the theatrical cut and the Director's Cut. Of those two, absolutely watch the Director's Cut. The Theatrical Cut is garbage by comparison. It's a waste of time.

Everyone I know swears by the Final Cut. So listen to Ruddo and do that one.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 3:03 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

durdencommatyler wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
This movie is outstanding. Every frame pops. Every frame is vital. It's such a gorgeous film, too. Absolutely see this in a theater if you can. It's one of the rare sequels that can totally stand on its own but also revitalizes and enhances the original. Very few complaints/issues with this movie. It's stunning, stellar, and smart. And I'll echo earlier comments that it has more heart than the original, too.

Glad you liked it. I just saw it for a second time on Monday, wanted to see it one more time in the theater to see if I missed anything. After second watch:

The scene between K and the girl that ends up being the daughter. When she watches the memory that K shares with her. Her reaction and the way she says "this is definitely real" is really a great foreshadow. Probably my favorite scene after second watch.

Also, I know I was expecting great cinematography from Villeneuve, especially after Arrival, but man, he really blew it out of the water here. And the score. Man. I want to see it a third time.

LV can poop on him all he wants, but Roger Deakins is so fucking good, it's sickening.

Yes, I should have given him credit as well. The Vegas scenes were fantastic.

Every environment felt fully realized down to the last detail. All of them have such dramatic lighting and atmosphere and texture. All of them are unique but somehow all hang together as well. Each is it's own thing but all of it combines for a cohesive whole. The visuals are breathtaking and do so much of the heavy lifting. The characters/actors get to live and thrive and breath in those scenes in a visceral and real way. Just outstanding.

The scene toward the end with Deckard and Wallace is so masterful. The way the water reflects on the walls and the shadows move to hide their faces as they continue to try and hide things from each other.... the ache for complete clarity and a full reveal... knowing we aren't going to get it... I mean, fuck!

Yes, that scene was fantastic

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 3:03 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I love the fact that joe is amazed with this movie.

We are going to bond with this movie so much.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 3:26 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

The themes, the tone, the pacing, the performances, the total care that was put into this movie just makes me want to jump around. It just feels so of our time but also out of time. I don't want to use a tired cliche but there is a sense of that old "they just don't make 'em like this anymore" to Blade Runner 2049.

Really, the only thing that really bugged me about the movie was
Leto. He's just trying too damn hard. Everyone else feels complex yet effortless. He feels way too flowery and exaggerated. And he lacks any deeper substance. It's like he's totally bought into his own bullshit hype in this. Ford fucking owns in him their seen together.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 3:28 pm 
The Beef

durdencommatyler wrote:
Leto. He's just trying too damn hard. Everyone else feels complex yet effortless. He feels way too flowery and exaggerated. And he lacks any deeper substance. It's like he's totally bought into his own bullshit hype in this. Ford fucking owns in him their seen together.

I was wondering why nobody was mentioning this.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 3:30 pm 
slower than 82% of US

ABNorman wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I was wondering why nobody was mentioning this.

I think everyone expected Leto to be the worst thing about this going in

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 3:33 pm 

I didn't mind him at all. *shrugs* I thought his attitude fit the whole billionaire-that-thinks-he-can-do-it-better-than-the-original.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 3:33 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I usually like him, but agree that his was the worst performance. Ana De Armas was amazing.

Last edited by Anders on Wed October 25, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 3:40 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

durdencommatyler wrote:
The themes, the tone, the pacing, the performances, the total care that was put into this movie just makes me want to jump around. It just feels so of our time but also out of time. I don't want to use a tired cliche but there is a sense of that old "they just don't make 'em like this anymore" to Blade Runner 2049.

Yeah, its so carefully crafted that i was totally immerse in this great universe.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 3:43 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Anders wrote:
I usually like him, bit agree that his was the worst performance. Ana De Armas was amazing.

Totally agree on all points.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 3:44 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I didn't mind him at all. *shrugs* I thought his attitude fit the whole billionaire-that-thinks-he-can-do-it-better-than-the-original.

It's probably a minor critique. He's not awful. He's just so flat and when he's surrounded by such excellent performances it really shows how out of his depth he is in this. Certainly not a deal breaker. The movie is still amazing. I just wanted more from him. I think that part could have been better.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 3:54 pm 

I know LV is waiting to see this in 4k Ultra HD, but I really wish he would see it on the big screen.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 4:10 pm 
Production Police

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I know LV is waiting to see this in 4k Ultra HD, but I really wish he would see it on the big screen.

Wait, are TVs better than the movie projectors now?

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 4:11 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Wait, are TVs better than the movie projectors now?

If you've got the right setup, sure.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 4:12 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I just don't know anyone with a TV that's sized for this movie. This needs a nice giant screen. I can't remember the last movie I saw where I thought, "Man, this made all the difference! I'm so glad I saw this in a theater, on a big screen. I can't imagine watching this at home."

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 4:36 pm 
Production Police

durdencommatyler wrote:
I just don't know anyone with a TV that's sized for this movie. This needs a nice giant screen. I can't remember the last movie I saw where I thought, "Man, this made all the difference! I'm so glad I saw this in a theater, on a big screen. I can't imagine watching this at home."

It was probably La La Land.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 6:43 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

It was probably La La Land.

I'm pretty sure, after thinking about it, that it was Avatar. Which is a way worse movie than either Blade Runner 2049 or La La Land.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 6:45 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

durdencommatyler wrote:

i saw it on IMAX. Its the only proper way to see this piece of art.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment