The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
PostPosted: Sun October 15, 2017 2:26 am 
slower than 82% of US

tragabigzanda wrote:
More general thoughts:

Spoiler: show
I think that K's relationship with his hologram girlfriend -- and the entire concept of holographic companions and their near-future technological limitations -- was one of the strongest aspects of the film, and a good example of how I think 2049 exceeded the original. Deckert's relationship with Rachael in the original never really resonated with me, and the supposed leaps in technology were more fully-realized in 2049.

Here, the actress leaps off the screen, and watching her cycle through various outfits for given tones of conversation she'd have with K, and later in that syncopated threesome they have with Mackenzie Davis, I really began to feel the implications of having the perfect "girlfriend" at my fingertips, but also with a fundamental physical disconnect.

Also, something sort of silly: Once K started developing this thought that he may have been the kid from the orphanage, couldn't he have simply checked for a serial number on his eyeball?

are you suggesting that he wouldn't have a serial number? if anything the existence of one is accounted for by the idea that they covered their tracks in hiding the child

PostPosted: Sun October 15, 2017 2:48 am 
Production Police

Mecca wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
More general thoughts:

I think that K's relationship with his hologram girlfriend -- and the entire concept of holographic companions and their near-future technological limitations -- was one of the strongest aspects of the film, and a good example of how I think 2049 exceeded the original. Deckert's relationship with Rachael in the original never really resonated with me, and the supposed leaps in technology were more fully-realized in 2049.

Here, the actress leaps off the screen, and watching her cycle through various outfits for given tones of conversation she'd have with K, and later in that syncopated threesome they have with Mackenzie Davis, I really began to feel the implications of having the perfect "girlfriend" at my fingertips, but also with a fundamental physical disconnect.

Also, something sort of silly: Once K started developing this thought that he may have been the kid from the orphanage, couldn't he have simply checked for a serial number on his eyeball?

are you suggesting that he wouldn't have a serial number? if anything the existence of one is accounted for by the idea that they covered their tracks in hiding the child

The bold part is what I was trying to get at, but good point that the "replicant resistance" could have easily done that as a cover.

PostPosted: Sun October 15, 2017 2:52 am 
Production Police

Now I want to go back and watch the original to see if Wallace's explanation that they had engineered Rachael to get pregnant by Deckert fits with the overall plot of the movie.

PostPosted: Sun October 15, 2017 3:44 am 
slower than 82% of US

tragabigzanda wrote:
Now I want to go back and watch the original to see if Wallace's explanation that they had engineered Rachael to get pregnant by Deckert fits with the overall plot of the movie.

I think that was more about questioning destiny vs. free will, which is just an extension of replicant vs. human from the first one. I think it fits, but Rachel was a device to show a replicant that doesn't know that it is one and to make Deckard (and us) question if he is one as well. I don't think it is that much of a leap for it to fit if that was their intention, though.

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 3:48 pm 
Production Police

Hey wait a second...

What the hell happened to the replicant uprising storyline? We're introduced to their presumed leaders, they help get K out of a jam, then they disappear from the film entirely. Are we getting another sequel or something?

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 3:56 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

tragabigzanda wrote:
Hey wait a second...

What the hell happened to the replicant uprising storyline? We're introduced to their presumed leaders, they help get K out of a jam, then they disappear from the film entirely. Are we getting another sequel or something?

Yeah that was kind of odd

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 4:06 pm 
The Beef

tragabigzanda wrote:
Hey wait a second...

They're still there, updating their Facebook profile images and tweeting at authority figures

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 4:29 pm 
Production Police

ABNorman wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Hey wait a second...

They're still there, updating their Facebook profile images and tweeting at authority figures

Ugh, Blade Runner 3 is going to suck.

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 6:22 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I really liked how the movie ended. We dont see revolution. Just rick meeting his daughter. Its a very quiet ending.

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 6:51 pm 
Production Police

VinylGuy wrote:
I really liked how the movie ended. We dont see revolution. Just rick meeting his daughter. Its a very quiet ending.

Yeah, I loved the ending. I'm just worried they are trying to set us up for Blade Runner: Revolutions.

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 8:13 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Well who know if they want to keep telling a story...i dont see it.

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 8:15 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

This thread sucks when you haven't seen the movie and don't want to click spoilers. But thank you guys for tagging. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 8:19 pm 
Production Police

durdencommatyler wrote:
This thread sucks when you haven't seen the movie and don't want to click spoilers. But thank you guys for tagging. I appreciate it.

Blade Runner 2049 is a great movie and I hope you see it!

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 8:20 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Blade Runner 2049 is a great movie and I hope you see it!

I really really really want to, man.

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 8:21 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:

I feel the same way. One of buddies and I vowed to see this together, but he's been out of town for the past two weekends.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 2:08 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

This movie is outstanding. Every frame pops. Every frame is vital. It's such a gorgeous film, too. Absolutely see this in a theater if you can. It's one of the rare sequels that can totally stand on its own but also revitalizes and enhances the original. Very few complaints/issues with this movie. It's stunning, stellar, and smart. And I'll echo earlier comments that it has more heart than the original, too.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 2:27 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

durdencommatyler wrote:
This movie is outstanding. Every frame pops. Every frame is vital. It's such a gorgeous film, too. Absolutely see this in a theater if you can. It's one of the rare sequels that can totally stand on its own but also revitalizes and enhances the original. Very few complaints/issues with this movie. It's stunning, stellar, and smart. And I'll echo earlier comments that it has more heart than the original, too.

Glad you liked it. I just saw it for a second time on Monday, wanted to see it one more time in the theater to see if I missed anything. After second watch:

The scene between K and the girl that ends up being the daughter. When she watches the memory that K shares with her. Her reaction and the way she says "this is definitely real" is really a great foreshadow. Probably my favorite scene after second watch.

Also, I know I was expecting great cinematography from Villeneuve, especially after Arrival, but man, he really blew it out of the water here. And the score. Man. I want to see it a third time.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 2:47 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Glad you liked it. I just saw it for a second time on Monday, wanted to see it one more time in the theater to see if I missed anything. After second watch:

The scene between K and the girl that ends up being the daughter. When she watches the memory that K shares with her. Her reaction and the way she says "this is definitely real" is really a great foreshadow. Probably my favorite scene after second watch.

Also, I know I was expecting great cinematography from Villeneuve, especially after Arrival, but man, he really blew it out of the water here. And the score. Man. I want to see it a third time.

LV can poop on him all he wants, but Roger Deakins is so fucking good, it's sickening.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 2:49 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

LV can poop on him all he wants, but Roger Deakins is so fucking good, it's sickening.

Yes, I should have given him credit as well. The Vegas scenes were fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed October 25, 2017 2:54 pm 
The Master

Goddammit. I still need to watch the original.

I shall download it for my trip. Which cut, folks?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment