The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: TV: Girls
PostPosted: Sun February 26, 2017 9:33 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

tragabigzanda wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
I did not like this episode either. Mrs. Trag really did; she says she liked that there was no clear "right or wrong" person in the story; there was no 100% true account of right vs. wrong...

But I was bored. Seemed like a very elementary exploration of a narrative that has been in the news a bit lately. I feel like Lena thought she was being more provocative than she really was.

I thought it was brilliant. And to have Hanna realize a lot of things until the end...it pushes her character into some truth.
Also the final shot with the faceless women going to the building was good.

Yea, Mrs Trag liked that shot too. Meh. Pretty obvious bit of symbolism, I think.

It was kinda obvious but at the same time it was a good shot. Also, this episode clearly mirrors One Man's Trash almost as being the opposite of that..its the trashy side b of an acoustic ballad.

PostPosted: Mon February 27, 2017 7:16 am 
slower than 82% of US

i felt like that episode ended too early. felt like an outline of an idea

PostPosted: Mon February 27, 2017 12:53 pm 
The Master

Mecca wrote:

Totally.

PostPosted: Mon February 27, 2017 3:01 pm 
The Master

This was certainly better than the first two episodes of the season.

PostPosted: Mon February 27, 2017 6:24 pm 
slower than 82% of US

tragabigzanda wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Totally.

People are complicated

PostPosted: Sat March 04, 2017 9:05 pm 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:
Episode 3 was just brilliant. Maybe one of the best episodes from the whole series.

PostPosted: Sat March 04, 2017 9:06 pm 
The Master

spike wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Episode 3 was just brilliant. Maybe one of the best episodes from the whole series.

Ugh.

PostPosted: Sat March 04, 2017 9:22 pm 
The Master

the americans guy was great in that episode; it doesn't work without his performance.

PostPosted: Mon March 06, 2017 4:11 am 
The Master

:o

PostPosted: Mon March 06, 2017 4:14 am 
The Master

Shitty episode. All these characters have gone off the rails.

PostPosted: Mon March 06, 2017 5:27 am 
slower than 82% of US

poor ray

PostPosted: Mon March 06, 2017 9:12 pm 
Future Drummer

:(

PostPosted: Mon March 06, 2017 9:18 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

another one that i liked....Trag, i dont quite understand why are you hating this season so much. Its pretty similar to the last one.

Spoiler: show
Hanna´s pregnant? I didnt see that one coming....also, poor Ray...i think he knows his relationship with Marnie is doomed.

PostPosted: Mon March 06, 2017 9:19 pm 
slower than 82% of US

This show might be bad now

PostPosted: Mon March 06, 2017 9:25 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:

:haha:

Ray was the only beacon in this episode.

My wife was actually very excited that Hannah got pregnant. She was having a really hard to time with Hannah's (and others) sex throughout the entire series (and especially the surfing instructor episode) – portrayed as this wild adventure – and the irresponsibility of not talking about protection or possible repercussions, and what kind of message that sends younger girls watching the show. Not that it's the show's responsibility to give safe sex talks, but if you're going to bolster yourself into the feminist territory that the show does, you need to talk about everything, and I'm glad they are addressing this. Curious to see how they spin it.

PostPosted: Mon March 06, 2017 9:28 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

My wife was actually very excited that Hannah got pregnant. She was having a really hard to time with Hannah's (and others) sex throughout the entire series (and especially the surfing instructor episode) – portrayed as this wild adventure – and the irresponsibility of not talking about protection or possible repercussions, and what kind of message that sends younger girls watching the show. Not that it's the show's responsibility to give safe sex talks, but if you're going to bolster yourself into the feminist territory that the show does, you need to talk about everything, and I'm glad they are addressing this. Curious to see how they spin it.

yeah, it is interesting.

Also, those apartments are all shitty and very ugly.

PostPosted: Mon March 06, 2017 9:29 pm 
The Master

Another uneven episode.

I really enjoyed the pregnancy reveal. Great cameo and callback.

PostPosted: Mon March 06, 2017 9:34 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

VinylGuy wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

yeah, it is interesting.

I still don't understand how they afford these places

PostPosted: Mon March 06, 2017 9:40 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

bodysnatcher wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

yeah, it is interesting.

I still don't understand how they afford these places

Their parents?

PostPosted: Mon March 06, 2017 11:40 pm 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:
another one that i liked....Trag, i dont quite understand why are you hating this season so much. Its pretty similar to the last one.

Hanna´s pregnant? I didnt see that one coming....also, poor Ray...i think he knows his relationship with Marnie is doomed.

The writing this last episode was so TV-ish. They telegraphed both Hannah's pregnancy reveal and Hermie's death so hard from the beginning of the episode. Felt like I was watching a CBS show.

From a character development perspective, it seems like only Ray (and possibly Shosh, who hasn't been explored yet this season) are in places that ring true to me.

Marnie: No way would someone be this emotionally empty and delusional about her place in life and still have the companionship of Ray. Their relationship feels totally false to me. And her back-and-forth with Desi feels fake too, especially given his Oxy addiction and her experience last season with her junkie ex-boyfriend.

Adam & Jessa: Are they teenagers? That whole "we'll figure out how to make a movie!" speech that Jessa delivered was so stupid. Again, what a delusional person. What broke, late-20-something would believe they could make a movie about their Brooklyn lifestyle, with no knowledge of the medium, nor financial backing? I get that it's sort of a self-referential joke on Lena Dunham...But she's rich, and her parents are artists. These just don't seem like real people to me.

Hannah: As I've said earlier, she has the self-awareness of a teenager with Asperger's. And I don't think she's going to keep the baby and abandon the writing lifestyle in favor of dedicated adulthood (as her conversation with Tracey Ullman suggested might happen).

Taking each character individually, ok, yea, people behave this way. But as a group of friends? What a bunch of fucking morons...And not a single one of them, save for Ray (who seems fairly detached from the group), ever seems to realize how stupid they behave on a daily basis. So the character development + the hamfisted writing this season has made the whole thing seem like a crock of shit to me. I wish they would all just die in a car crash, and let Elijah, Ray, and Shosh continue on for a few more seasons.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 51  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment