The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51
 Post subject: Re: TV: Girls
PostPosted: Mon April 17, 2017 4:20 am 
The Master

Considering this episode aired on the eve of the 2 hour breastfeeding course I am attending with my wife, it hit a little close to home.

PostPosted: Mon April 17, 2017 2:40 pm 
Production Police

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Considering this episode aired on the eve of the 2 hour breastfeeding course I am attending with my wife, it hit a little close to home.

I can dig it. But while I found it to be a bad episode, I'm more disappointed that it was the finale. Would have made more sense to swap this and last week's episode, obviously with some minor narrative tweaks.

PostPosted: Mon April 17, 2017 2:56 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

I can dig it. But while I found it to be a bad episode, I'm more disappointed that it was the finale. Would have made more sense to swap this and last week's episode, obviously with some minor narrative tweaks.

Same, but finales are difficult to pull off. I think I'll appreciate it more with time.

PostPosted: Mon April 17, 2017 6:45 pm 
slower than 82% of US

Maybe the episode was awful because it was about Hannah "growing up" and growing up fucking sucks

PostPosted: Mon April 17, 2017 6:56 pm 
The Master

Mecca wrote:
Maybe the episode was awful because it was about Hannah "growing up" and growing up fucking sucks

Truth.

PostPosted: Mon April 17, 2017 7:00 pm 
Production Police

Mecca wrote:

But also it was so obvious. It's about as clever as an episode of Facts of Life: Selfish brat has a baby and learns that motherhood requires selflessness. Gimme a break. At least last week's episode had a closing narrative that made sense for the main characters (plus a couple weeks back, with Ray and Aidy Bryant; and Adam and Hanna realizing the fault of their fantasy). All things considered, last night's episode wasn't terrible in-and-of-itself...But it was super predictable, and I'm not sure what it added to the series that hadn't already been covered?

PostPosted: Tue April 18, 2017 12:12 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I'm so glad this is over

PostPosted: Tue April 18, 2017 12:14 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
Mecca wrote:

But also it was so obvious. It's about as clever as an episode of Facts of Life: Selfish brat has a baby and learns that motherhood requires selflessness. Gimme a break. At least last week's episode had a closing narrative that made sense for the main characters (plus a couple weeks back, with Ray and Aidy Bryant; and Adam and Hanna realizing the fault of their fantasy). All things considered, last night's episode wasn't terrible in-and-of-itself...But it was super predictable, and I'm not sure what it added to the series that hadn't already been covered?

agreed. series could have / probably should have ended with last week's episode. felt much more final, and i honestly didn't care one fuck what happened to Hannah after that... nothing in last night's episode was shocking or surprising, it's basically what one would assume would happen to her if that episode never existed. the most shocking aspect of the episode was the 180-degree roundabout of her mom's personality. didn't even seem like the same character. suddenly she's the wise old sage?

half of the episode was dedicated to solidifying the fact that Marnie was the worst part of that show. then the whole thing just felt like an audition tape for her future efforts in getting "hot young waspy mom" roles in judd apatow movies

PostPosted: Tue April 18, 2017 12:32 am 
AnalLog

bodysnatcher wrote:
I'm so glad this is over

best post in the thread...and i watched every episode of every season mostly cause i'm married.

PostPosted: Tue April 18, 2017 1:04 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I actually like the episode, even if it was bit clichéd. We all knew the one before was more of the finale so I had more of just a regular episode expectation going in. And I always like when Hannah's mom gets screen time.
I doubt I will ever go back and watch any of the Girls episodes On Demand, even though there are some really good ones out there. It will be interesting to see what Lena Dunham does next; I know she is more of writer but it will be hard not to see Hannah if she continues in front of the camera. She's got talent though.

PostPosted: Tue April 18, 2017 5:55 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

given2trade wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
I'm so glad this is over

best post in the thread...and i watched every episode of every season mostly cause i'm married.

yeah, same with me. there were definitely some sunday nights that went:

me: "Hey hun, I think I might go to the driving range and hit some balls"
wife: "Ok, do you want me to wait for you to watch Girls"
me: "Um, no, that's ok."

look at each other, pause for a second, laugh simultaneously.

PostPosted: Wed April 19, 2017 12:08 am 
AnalLog

bodysnatcher wrote:
given2trade wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
I'm so glad this is over

yeah, same with me. there were definitely some sunday nights that went:

me: "Hey hun, I think I might go to the driving range and hit some balls"
wife: "Ok, do you want me to wait for you to watch Girls"
me: "Um, no, that's ok."

look at each other, pause for a second, laugh simultaneously.

My wife doesn't even love the show, it's not our demographic being 37 and 38, but we would regularly fight during previous seasons. It was mostly my fault as I complained during the show about everything and she just wanted me to shut up so she could watch the show.

PostPosted: Wed April 19, 2017 1:20 am 
Looks Like a Cat

It wasn't bad. It had no emotional impact, unlike the previous episode where you could feel that transitional moment for them, but I liked that it showed her as most people are... struggling with real things and not the 'white kids in Brooklyn problems' the show often relied on.

PostPosted: Wed April 19, 2017 2:28 am 
slower than 82% of US

Bi_3 wrote:
It wasn't bad. It had no emotional impact, unlike the previous episode where you could feel that transitional moment for them, but I liked that it showed her as most people are... struggling with real things and not the 'white kids in Brooklyn problems' the show often relied on.

i saw a lot of white people in brooklyn

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment