The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: American Horror Story
PostPosted: Fri October 09, 2015 7:38 pm 
The Master

Hot swedish blonde? I suppose i better watch.

PostPosted: Wed October 14, 2015 1:42 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

This show makes some pretty scary fucking credits sequences.

Also, what the fuck is with Kathy Bates' accent in Freak Show?

PostPosted: Wed October 14, 2015 1:48 am 
The Master

Oh, yea. I watched the first episode.

Meh. Too much going on with this one within the first episode. I dont know what I didnt like about it but....I was happy when it was over.

I think the first season was so fucking great but since then it's been downhill. its just too much.

PostPosted: Wed October 14, 2015 1:56 am 
RM Elitist

Strat wrote:

Meh. Too much going on with this one within the first episode. I dont know what I didnt like about it but....I was happy when it was over.

I think the first season was so fucking great but since then it's been downhill. its just too much.

I think the show functions best when there is an element of reality to it. Horror in a ridiculous situation is usually just comical and over the top- and thats what the last two seasons have been. The first one felt like a normal, albeit dysfunctional, believable family put into that situation. The 2nd had sane people made crazy by where they were among the slasher elements. The third was more "fun" but still some characters that were "normal" people trying to adjust to the witchcraft elements.

Every significant character in freakshow was, for lack of a better term, a freak from the beginning. And at this point, it doesn't appear that anyone on this season has a foothold in any sort of reality to breakdown, which makes it a lot harder to identify with.

PostPosted: Wed October 14, 2015 1:58 am 
The Master

@SkitchP wrote:
Strat wrote:

I think the show functions best when there is an element of reality to it. Horror in a ridiculous situation is usually just comical and over the top- and thats what the last two seasons have been. The first one felt like a normal, albeit dysfunctional, believable family put into that situation. The 2nd had sane people made crazy by where they were among the slasher elements. The third was more "fun" but still some characters that were "normal" people trying to adjust to the witchcraft elements.

Every significant character in freakshow was, for lack of a better term, a freak from the beginning. And at this point, it doesn't appear that anyone on this season has a foothold in any sort of reality to breakdown, which makes it a lot harder to identify with.

I am glad you are a better spoken individual than I. That pretty much nails it. basically I just don't care about any of the characters. It's all shock value and there is no character journey that I can even pretend to relate to or be interested in seeing.

PostPosted: Mon October 19, 2015 1:16 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Not really digging this season yet; Ryan Murphy has been more full of himself than usual.

PostPosted: Tue November 10, 2015 9:01 pm 

Renewed for a sixth season.
I'm still watching, I had been waivering but I really liked the last episode.

PostPosted: Tue November 10, 2015 10:12 pm 
RM Elitist

This show is so fucking bad this season. I think i just watch it hoping Alex Breckenridge comes back, even though shes banging Rick Grimes :(

PostPosted: Thu November 12, 2015 2:42 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I cant seem to manage to see the first episode of the new season. And i havent finished the others...just the first one.

PostPosted: Thu November 12, 2015 4:17 pm 
RM Elitist

The thing with this season that's bugging me is that they are trying SO many storylines, and the only one that I've enjoyed at all is the Evan Peters murder hotel one- and frankly, that could be the entire season. But they've spent so little time on it.

PostPosted: Thu November 12, 2015 4:31 pm 
The Master

Turns out the only season I really cared for was the first. What great TV that was. Season 2 was a B rating but got so convoluted and ridiculous by the end. Seems they have continued down that road since.

PostPosted: Fri November 13, 2015 8:46 pm 

Back to back strong episodes, maybe the second half of the season will be better than the first. Lots of sex in the last one, I'm surprised how much Ryan Murphy has been able to get away with even by FX standards. If anything it's a bit much sometimes.
Dennis O'Hare's characters have never been my favorite over the years but this time he's been the standout in a starry cast. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get an Emmy nominee

Last edited by Biff Pocoroba on Fri November 13, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri November 13, 2015 8:50 pm 
RM Elitist

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
Back to back strong episodes, maybe the second half of the season will be better than the first.
Dennis O'Hare's characters have never been my favorite over the years but this time he's been the standout in a starry cast. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get an Emmy nominee

He's been good, yeah.

PostPosted: Thu November 19, 2015 2:10 pm 
RM Elitist

I think last nights was my favorite of the season thus far, and it kinda drives home the point that they should have focused more on the Evan Peters stuff. Also, post true detective, how does Alexandra Daddario being on a show NOT get a ton of buzz ahead of time?

PostPosted: Wed September 14, 2016 5:32 pm 

And this start back tonight too. Some of my friends are way more into the show than me but I still watch. The first season was great and the witch season wasn't bad. The others have had their moments but last season started out interesting before turning into a mess. Which is what happened with the carnival and sanitorium seasons too. It is beginning a little early this year; hopefully that means it wraps before Christmas which is something they should have done all along. And they've done a good job keeping the theme a secret this year.

PostPosted: Tue November 01, 2016 6:48 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Season 6 is pretty insane. I think it's actually scary too. I've seen season 1, 2, and 4. Skipped 3, and 5, and I"m not sure if those are scary or more just creepy / weird (like Seasons 2 and 4). Anyway, I'm liking it a lot so far, and its much better than 'Freak Show'.

PostPosted: Wed November 02, 2016 12:39 pm 

I was slogging through the episodes and they seemed like they were getting bogged down with the same ol' stuff as before. But the midseason pivot was pulled off beautifully and I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out. And yes, the creep factor and jump scenes have increased too.

PostPosted: Thu January 26, 2017 11:58 pm 
Champion of RM

I just finished Season 6. My least favorite of all. Supposedly, next season will tie all of the seasons together. They said that last season. So far the obvious connections are 1 to 5, 2 to 4 & 6, 3 to 5, 4 to 2, 5 to 1 & 3 and 6 to 2.

I'd rate them as:

PostPosted: Fri January 27, 2017 12:00 am 
The Master

Hm. This show still on?

I havent enjoyed a sesaon since 2. 1 and 2 were great. I only watched parts of others now. SHould i bother?

PostPosted: Fri January 27, 2017 12:02 am 
Champion of RM

2 had some of the greatest episodes, but the worst conclusion.

3 & 4 have mixed feelings amongst the fanbase. If you liked 1, you'll like 5.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment